Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times

Advertisements

My bf has family that recently had a baby. We were thrilled when they spent this past weekend with us, and they plan on coming down for 1 night next weekend. We're hoping this becomes a regular thing (not every weekend, but regular visits, and maybe the opportunity to babysit too). What can we make sure to have on hand, that might make them more comfortable? We have a spare bedroom they used, and it has a futon; they brought a playpen and that is where baby slept. I was thinking about getting one of those seats that vibrate/bounce a little for baby. Mom breastfeeds & uses formula, not sure if anything would be useful to have in that regard. Might pick up some extra diapers; they can take home what they don't use. Any thoughts/ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,966 times
Some toys.

A set of towels/wash clothes that you don't mind being destroyed.

Baby-proofing areas of your home.

And most of all, ask them if there's anything they would like the room that they won't be able to bring. Parents can be picky, so it's okay to ask and make sure you get things they prefer.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,444 times
How very thoughtful of you!

As a new parent the first time around, I doubt there is much that they won't bring themselves. It's somewhat a tradition to over do it first time around. haha The best thing you can offer is some adult time with them, and perhaps some time to themselves without the baby-if they are willing to part with the baby.

As the child grows and then gets mobile, there might be things that will work better for all if it was already in place. Those are somewhat more personal choices though, so I'd only provide it if they agree upon it.

Enjoy your time with them!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:47 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
A chair in the room for middle-of-the night feedings/baby awake and wanting to be held. Sometimes its nice to have an option besides the bed and this way they won't worry about waking you up at 3am.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Wow, that is really nice of you. Don't worry about it too much, though, especially for a young baby that isn't moving around and pulling at things. The chair is a nice idea, if you have an extra one available. A nightlight would be nice, and maybe an extra pillow (to help with nursing or to prop up against if on the bed). Maybe a flashlight if they're mixing formula and need to go out to the kitchen at night and don't want to risk waking everyone else up by turning on hallway lights.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
You are very thoughtful! As others have said, they'll bring most everything they need. If you have access to borrow or buy for cheap a bouncy seat or portable swing, that might be nice, but I doubt they'd expect you to invest much money for such a short visit.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:42 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
Thanks for all the ideas! I do plan on babyproofing things in a few months; the little fellow is only a month old so I figure I have some time for that.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,481 times
I agree on a chair--that is the only thing I can really think of right now. Next time they visit, ask them if there is anything that would make their visits easier.

Since it is garage sale season, I would start looking for a high chair (if you have the room to store it). That is something I uber appreciated when visiting others. Of course, he won't need it for several months. If you do like to go garage saling--and if your bf does as well, you might consider visiting her one weekend and go together.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I agree on a chair--that is the only thing I can really think of right now. Next time they visit, ask them if there is anything that would make their visits easier.

Since it is garage sale season, I would start looking for a high chair (if you have the room to store it). That is something I uber appreciated when visiting others. Of course, he won't need it for several months. If you do like to go garage saling--and if your bf does as well, you might consider visiting her one weekend and go together.
To save space, I recommend one of those that straps to a regular chair. It will take up less storage space when you aren't using it. That is one of the few baby items I kept for visitors after my kids were done with it. But, at one month old, you won't need that just yet.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:10 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
A nightlight or small, low-light lamp is nice too. That way one parent can get up in the night without waking everyone else.

The best thing you are providing though is a welcoming, hospitable attitude. Traveling with a baby can be difficult and having a hostess who conveys an understanding of that is truly special!

I hope the little one will call you Auntie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting