Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 02:56 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,835,349 times

Advertisements

I think the earlier you start your child in any activity it will be easier for them to pick it up. With that said at 5 years of age you don't want to overwhelm them! I would only do one class a week with no more than 15 minutes of practice a day or 30 every other day. As they get older you can increase it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 AM

8 posts, read 29,955 times
I started to play the violin when I was 6 years old. Didn't like it too much, but my parents made me play it. I did it for two times a week. In a few years I was a pretty decent player and I was really happy that they made me to play it. I don't think that 5 is the wrong age to start, the expectations should be low, but kids love to learn new stuff and how is playing an instrument any different from learning to read or write?

Old 02-16-2017, 06:27 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,619,186 times
Depends on the child. For most one lesson a week is
Probably fine with 15 mins of practice two other days. That said he prepared to back off Nd try again later if your child isn't ready yet. You don't want them to hate it because they were forced to do it. I know at 5 my son wouldn't have been able to focus for more than 15-20 mins on piano or anything else that involves sitting still.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 AM

602 posts, read 1,274,242 times
You know your child, but my 5yo boy did very well with a 1/2 hour weekly piano lesson, then 15-20min practice daily (sometimes in two 10min blocks). FWIW. I don't think dropping to every other week is a good idea. If you don't think he is ready, then go ahead and give it a year or so.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:35 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,420,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I don't think it is ever too early to have a child take instrument lessons if they seem to enjoy it. What a great way to boost their confidence, teach them subtle discipline and give them a gift that may bring them joy their whole life. I wouldn't push them....but if they showed interest....go for it.
couldn't agree more...

Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,746,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I think the earlier you start your child in any activity it will be easier for them to pick it up. With that said at 5 years of age you don't want to overwhelm them! I would only do one class a week with no more than 15 minutes of practice a day or 30 every other day. As they get older you can increase it.
Part of the reason I quit piano, around age 12, was because my piano teacher nagged me about practicing and I almost never did. I just didn't have enough discipline when I was younger. I regret it now.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM

24,279 posts, read 15,399,299 times
Depends on the kid.

If he wants to learn and there is a piano in the house, you will not be able to stop him. If the family is interested in music, the kid will be, too.

I know a kid who watched my mouth as my finger went to each word in the sentence as I read to him. He cracked the code.

Same with the piano. By 5, his teacher told his mom piano was too easy, he needed to take violin.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:09 AM

21,380 posts, read 8,093,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
wanted to ask if it's too early for a 5 year old to learn piano?
my 5 year old's piano teacher has been saying wonderful thing about his piano pickup skills, but
I still think that he's having a hard time focusing and to actually
pick up something during the class is really only 10 min.
the teacher is here for about half an hour each time, so the rest of
the time, she needs to entertain him with
singing..etc. she charges $14 per time, but I have been reading over
the web that
it's much more efficient to have a 7 yr old learn instead of a 5. maybe I should at least cut down
the lessons like every other week, instead
of every week? or just wait till he's 7 to start?
Wait until he is 7.

5 is too young, unless they are REALLY interested in it. Just not worth the hassle. He won't learn any more now by suffering through lessons, then if he starts at 7 and is more interested and/or has a better attention span. IN other words, there are no gains to continuing right now.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:18 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,074,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Depends on the kid.

If he wants to learn and there is a piano in the house, you will not be able to stop him. If the family is interested in music, the kid will be, too.

I know a kid who watched my mouth as my finger went to each word in the sentence as I read to him. He cracked the code.

Same with the piano. By 5, his teacher told his mom piano was too easy, he needed to take violin.
The OP is not talking about a musical prodigy. 99.99% of kids are not outgrowing the piano at 5 years old. This does not mean that their families are not interested in music, that they are totally untalented, or that the piano will be too difficult for them--just that they are normal kids.

In other words, your anecdote is useless for almost everyone. Parents do not decide to give piano lessons only to toddlers who are "unstoppable" at the piano, any more than they send them to school only because they taught themselves to read at age 2. The question was whether a bright but fidgety 5-year-old was ready for piano, not whether he was a second Mozart.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:12 AM

24,279 posts, read 15,399,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The OP is not talking about a musical prodigy. 99.99% of kids are not outgrowing the piano at 5 years old. This does not mean that their families are not interested in music, that they are totally untalented, or that the piano will be too difficult for them--just that they are normal kids.

In other words, your anecdote is useless for almost everyone. Parents do not decide to give piano lessons only to toddlers who are "unstoppable" at the piano, any more than they send them to school only because they taught themselves to read at age 2. The question was whether a bright but fidgety 5-year-old was ready for piano, not whether he was a second Mozart.
I am not talking about anybody with extra anything. I said, if the kid is interested and the family likes music, you will not be able to stop them.

Any kid should be introduced to all sorts of things. Some never find anything that they like.

Some are focused early on. My point was, if the kid likes it, they will do it. If the kid loves it, you will not be able to stop them.

Our society is extreme in discounting what little people can do. We treat them like pets or toys.Nothing harms children like the soft bigotry of low expectations. I think a POTUS said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting