Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:14 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,312,950 times

Advertisements

I have to take my kid to work with me every morning at the moment because I start before her daycare opens. She just sits and colours though. However the kids of my boss really do work when they go to work with their parents - their young lad (about 8 years old I think) was holding down the fort all by himself last week when I popped in for a cup of tea (a restaurant - he was to serve teas/coffees/cakes but no food orders until dad got back)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 AM

15,901 posts, read 20,903,075 times
Doesn't really work well in my situation. I'm an engineer, and work in labs a lot. I'm sure my kids would love to see what I do....but we don't allow anyone under 18 in the lab areas. SO will need to wait until they get of age to get an internship with me.

A lot of the office workers do bring their kids in, only to have them sit in the cube farm playing on a laptop.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:44 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,151,871 times
Where I use to work we did it, From ~3th grade thru 8th. About 1/2 the day was organised activities. Other 1/2 was you child "Worked" with you.

But We are all computer programmers, so our work was have them watch us write code, Test Code, Stare in to space for periods of time, and go to project/planning meetings. Just what every 11yo wants to do.

The Main Issue we had in Corporate said we had to do on X date. (National take your Kid day). But where my office was located that date would always fall in the middle of State Testing Week. So we would have very few kids (2-3) show up.

After a few years, we just picked out own date, out of a office of 150 staff, we would get about 20-30 kids.

At the end of the day the entire building was invited to the Ice Cream Social outside in our "Outside Eating area" (or in the big conference room if the weather was bad)

Old 05-22-2017, 07:00 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,040,610 times
I remember going to work with my mom a few times over the years (back when it was take your daughter to work day). They never had any organized activities so I usually ended up actually doing easy parts of my mom's job; I would sort papers, print stuff, fold letters, etc.

Now that I am the parent, I will definitely take my daughter when she is older. I hope she will enjoy it, even though there are no planned activities (I can say that with confidence since I own the company). My job is industrial/manufacturing, so it is not great for super young children, but could be really fun for the 8 to 13 ages, I think. My husband might also bring our daughter when she is older, but he has a more typical office job which would probably become boring more quickly.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:35 PM

2,796 posts, read 1,672,994 times
Nope. I cannot do my work if they are here. Besides, I'd rather have them in school.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:08 PM

25 posts, read 34,356 times
I'm glad I'm self-employed so I don't have to put up with an office full of whining, wailing, annoying little brats on Take Your Child To Work Day, and hearing everyone gloat over how cute and adorable their little angels are.

If I had a standard office job it would be a good excuse to take a vacation day. Not everyone likes to be around kids.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:46 AM

3,193 posts, read 2,781,533 times
I'm a superhero, so I can't bring my kids to work. At least, that's what they think.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:47 AM

89,333 posts, read 86,276,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Doesn't really work well in my situation. I'm an engineer, and work in labs a lot. I'm sure my kids would love to see what I do....but we don't allow anyone under 18 in the lab areas. SO will need to wait until they get of age to get an internship with me.

A lot of the office workers do bring their kids in, only to have them sit in the cube farm playing on a laptop.
We used to have planned programs on that day to prevent kids just hanging out. I worked in a department that oversaw the bid and rfp processes for a public agency, which isn't all that thrilling for a kid. But by jove, one year some of my coworkers got creative and took the kids through a bid process right down to having them prepare a bid, opening and reading the bids, and the "low bidder" winning a prize.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:16 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,748,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

I work in lab too and our company has good program in place for half day. We get about 100 kids/parents every year if not more. Starts with breakfast & listening to talk about safety (maybe demonstration). Then kids sign up for tour of different lab and plant. Each tour is 30 min-1hr. Most labs hosting try to do simple hands on demonstration. Our group works with surfactants so we have stations set up for kids to make hand soap. Each tour group is about 10-15 kids. Then they r back for lunch and some minor activity. 2nd half of the day parents can show the kids what they do or take them home. Its more of science demonstration day then true bring ur kids to work day

Old 05-29-2017, 05:44 PM

89,333 posts, read 86,276,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I work in lab too and our company has good program in place for half day. We get about 100 kids/parents every year if not more. Starts with breakfast & listening to talk about safety (maybe demonstration). Then kids sign up for tour of different lab and plant. Each tour is 30 min-1hr. Most labs hosting try to do simple hands on demonstration. Our group works with surfactants so we have stations set up for kids to make hand soap. Each tour group is about 10-15 kids. Then they r back for lunch and some minor activity. 2nd half of the day parents can show the kids what they do or take them home. Its more of science demonstration day then true bring ur kids to work day
That is cool, though. The kids get to learn something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting