Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:39 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,512,882 times

Advertisements

Dont worry about names - my sons Kindergarten class has the most unusual names and no one bats an eyelash - it is not like when we went to school - hardly any of the kids have a so-called "regular" name - almost all of them are exotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
Very positive thread. Nice to hear.

Pronounciation, actually I'd probably say 'shee-ah'...but if people said 'zia' or 'x-ee-ah'...it wouldn't bother me at all. My last name is like that, very easy for people to mispronounce, and it doesn't bother me.

I like the sound of all 3, so if there seemed to be one more dominant way that people regularly said, I wouldn't that at all. I'm more attached to the spelling and shortness of it, then I am the exact way it will be pronounced, and I like all of the various pronounciations.

I am unsure if it would bother a daughter with the name though who always had to give pronounciation. However, it is only 3 letters...so not that difficult to tell someone who asks. Maybe even an interesting conversation starter for her.

Regarding one poster who said to choose an 'american', i.e. 'anglicized' name. That was the only concern I had, was people who preferred anglicized names. But, with the multitudes of non-anglicized names, and my own last name is short, but not anglo either, I think it might have a nice sound, 'Xia'.

Anyways, thanks for the support on the name. I'll still be following the thread eager to hear other responses as well.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:50 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,922,162 times
I think the spelling is beautiful--just looks beautiful written and depending on her demeanor, she will feel special as the potentially only "X" name in the class!

P.S. There is Hell, MN, so that they can say "Hell froze over today." Really... funny the first few times...ah, who am I kidding--it never gets old. One's idea of entertaining/funny does go down a bit toward the middle/end of winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Off-the-topic: USA has amazing town names - Moscow, Paris, Bagdad, Rome, Denmark, Cuba, Typo, Metropolis, Gay, Hell (I am from Hell?)

Weird U.S. Town Names

Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 AM

467 posts, read 984,840 times
Sounds like a cool and unique name to me, plus its easy to spell and read for something so out of the ordinary, I like it

Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 AM

821 posts, read 2,039,962 times
I think its a very pretty name and for the record when i saw it I read it as (zee-ah)

Old 04-13-2010, 03:55 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Another variation is XIANA...(zi-ana or she-ana)...

Xia could be short for Xiana.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,756,782 times
I like Xia much better than Xiana, I think the beauty of this name is in the simplicity of it, plus it will be much easier for her and others around her to learn how to spell her name.

Very pretty name!!

Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 AM

Thanks all!

No daughter yet...but the name still remains on the list of possibilities.

Any other feedback, I'm still reading them all.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,361 times
My two cents, having an unusual name myself. I think the name "Xia" is pretty, both visually, and once I read others explain how to pronounce it. I feel similarly about my own name...

That being said, most people (85%) get the pronunciation wrong of both the full name and my nickname. Even after they get to know me, many have trouble getting the pronunciation based off the spelling. I even tried changing the spelling, which didn't help. Almost no one spells my name correctly, even when I spell it out for them, even when they are people I interact with regularly. It's inconvenient when people can't find you in databases, etc because they can't spell your name.

Just my two cents, and I love my mother and will always respect the name she chose and keep it... but I might give her a slightly more common name as a first name, and use the more unusual one as a middle name. Let her decide once she's older if she wants to go by the unusual name, or if it's a language issue for relatives, maybe they could call her by her Chinese name and she could have a more common one to use in the US.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:17 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,868 times
I really like it.
Before looking at the thread I said "Zy-Ah". But however you pronounce it, I think it's great. Better than some of the names you hear celebrities giving their kids.

My daughters middle name is Alaea. Got it off a bag of "Whale Tails" out in San Diego, CA when on vacation. It's a Hawaiian sea salt seasoning and we pronounce it "Ah - lay - ah". We even asked someone we know who's from Hawaii, and he agreed with that.
My step-sons middle name is Xavier (Like the professor on X-Men). Pretty cool imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting