Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,497 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you have your hands full. I can understand how hard it must be for you and your wife. It sounds like you are realistic about your son which is good. I admire you for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 AM

467 posts, read 983,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
It sounds like you have your hands full. I can understand how hard it must be for you and your wife. It sounds like you are realistic about your son which is good. I admire you for that.
Thanks, Sandy

Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
I used to dread the day that innocence would go away. I still sort of do, but TRUST me as the child gets older, it isn't cute anymore if they are still doing it. In fact it awkward and a bit of a concern if you feel they aren't kidding or the least bit serious.

After 2nd grade the last vestiges of true innocence seem to vanish.

The day they start school a huge portion of those toddler day innocence is washed away. I was very conflicted then. I missed my little tyke.

I felt and knew he was going to be phasing out of things soon and those would be hard times. Now he's well into Elementary and most of his peers have advanced and matured beyond 6 yr old stuff. Mine is still stuck in another world and not always in touch with reality. Its embarrassing sometimes to see him gravitate towards baby and Kindergarten level toys and books and still play with some ancient toy that he shouldn't really have interest in at this point (he's 10 now)

I still miss that little kid, but he needs to grow up and we're kinda having to force/guide him to it. Some things were hard to say goodbye to, like kid's shows and toys I'd just kinda taken for granted, but we needed to let go and get him more age-approriate. Its just not cute at some point. A 6-yr old should be into 6-yr old things, but a 10 yr old....no. After about 8 yrs old I figured he'd get tired of doing the little kid and baby stuff. Oh boy was I wrong. I had to remove that stuff and store it so he wouldn't see it and be forced to to play with more mature things. He's about 2 yrs behind in his development.

Sorry for the rant.
It's normal for most kids to gravitate towards things that may seem too young for them, according to early childhood experts, for many reasons.

Some of the shows, for instance, are simply familiar and comforting. As adults we delight in watching old Disney movies, so why shouldn't a 10 yr old get to enjoy Barney on occasion? Often times the only reason they have moved on past them is because of peer pressure.

Many kids gravitate towards toys geared for younger kids because they know how to work them successfully and find them easy. Sometimes they just want to do something for fun and not have to work hard for it. Adults don't always do just the 'Hard' crossword puzzles. Sometimes we just want to do the 'Easy' ones.

Same goes with books. Who doesn't enjoy cuddling up with a childhood favorite? Or playing with a pop up book...or just looking at a picture book?

When kids are in school, sometimes they feel lots of pressure to work harder, succeed where it's hard to do so and never slow down. So, often they want to come home to a soft place to land...and that may mean back to old favorites. And that's okay to do sometimes.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM

467 posts, read 983,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
...And that's okay to do sometimes.
and your spot on 100% correct. Accept in his case its all-times. I'd have no issue with the occasional re-visit, but he's not doing that. He staying stagnant, as in arrested evelopment, not trying out anything new..ever, just rotating thru the same old stuff over and over. And we're having to help him progress especially now that he's not around any peers to expose him to new things.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:35 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
24M - still not grown up, but when he is he wants to be a firefighter
21M - Chef
19M - Married to a rich girl so he can spend all day on his boat
17F - FBI crime scene tech
15F - law enforcement of some kind or a veterinarian

Old 06-04-2009, 04:05 PM

836 posts, read 3,381,678 times
lol mrs1885 Gotta love kids.. I kind of like the 19M's idea..lol that's too funny.
My stepson whom is now 20 said he was going to be a basketball player, then changed to being a baseball player, then changed to wanting to design video games, then web designer, and then he took classes to be an EMT and Firefighter now he is into Law enforcement..lol Someday he will figure it out. My step daughter is taking classes to be a pediatriction which I think is great. Now on to my daughter she is taking classes to be a Paramedic and is thinking of going into the Navy but still unsure about that. And our 10 year old daughter is well she was wanting to be a Veterinarian, but her best friend (Corbin Gil age 8) passed away this past Janurary 5th from a Brain Tumor and now she wants to find a cure for that so no other kid has to suffer like her friend did. I am such a proud Mom of her everytime I hear her tell me this it makes me want to cry. We went through an ordeal with this situation spending as much time as possible with Corbin all the ways up til 2 days before she passed. Her death has been very hard on her and me too. And she is doing well with now but still has her moments. Who knows what she will end up doing when she grows up. I just hope they are all happy with whatever they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting