Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,073,552 times

Advertisements

Feeling smarter doesn't prove that I actually am. It's merely narcissism. Furthermore, your statement is not an observation, rather it is an unequivocal declaration of intellectual superiority, implying the inferiority of other discussion participants, and it stifles what could be a rather enlightening conversation about the nature of gender identity.

That said, I think you've raised some valid questions that are worth further exploration and discussion. My impression is that you believe gender identity is binary, resulting from either XX or XY sex chromosomes, outwardly and definitively expressed through either female or male genitalia. There is no ambivalence. Am I correct?

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-21-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,075,563 times
I did not post to get into a fight and I believe the two of you are trying to start one.

My opinion on this subject is that it is extremely damaging for a parent to do anything besides allow that phase to pass in a child's life. There is no return to normalcy once a parent enables and encourages a child to pursue being the opposite sex.

And it DOES eventually lead to the subject of sex. No getting around it. It's natural for every person to be interested in sex sometime in their lives. If a boy is encouraged and enabled to play out his fantasy of being a girl in childhood, when that child reaches puberty and beyond, sex enters the picture. Does the boy attempt to engage a girl in sex? But he's dressed like and acts like a girl. What girl would accept that? Does he attempt to engage a boy in sex? But he is dressed like, and acts like a girl BUT HE HAS A PENIS. What boy would want to engage in sex with someone like that?

All this parent is doing, is causing tremendous problems for her child from an early age. Talk about suicidal. I'd be suicidal in a situation like that boy will be in, in a few years.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 AM

I'm not trying to start a fight, Stormy. I'm attempting to refocus the discussion away from unsubstantiated claims of intellect and back on gender identity, and I'd like to get a handle on your position without getting sidetracked into whether or not this child will have a sex life in ten years.

Where do you stand? Is it possible for a child to have a female brain while having a male body? If not, why? Convince me.

Gender identity disorder is a controversial subject, even within the community of mental health professionals.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,529,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

Too bad none of you will never understand.

You are right. I can't force you. I wouldn't want to. The question asked by the mother and by these people and by me is "can you just not be mean."

The world is changing and becoming much more understanding with or without you
And you can understand b/c why?

People are not being "mean".

Not agreeing isn't "mean".

And giving out ultimatums is a waste of time.

Yet another topic in which you feel your opinion is the one & only & OF COURSE you have a "friend" as you always do to back up your stories.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,235,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
And you can understand b/c why?

People are not being "mean".

Not agreeing isn't "mean".

And giving out ultimatums is a waste of time.

Yet another topic in which you feel your opinion is the one & only & OF COURSE you have a "friend" as you always do to back up your stories.

I have a friend yes. I only comment on things that I have personal experience with. So yes, I have a friend

Old 05-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
And it DOES eventually lead to the subject of sex. No getting around it. It's natural for every person to be interested in sex sometime in their lives. If a boy is encouraged and enabled to play out his fantasy of being a girl in childhood, when that child reaches puberty and beyond, sex enters the picture. Does the boy attempt to engage a girl in sex? But he's dressed like and acts like a girl. What girl would accept that? Does he attempt to engage a boy in sex? But he is dressed like, and acts like a girl BUT HE HAS A PENIS. What boy would want to engage in sex with someone like that?
When the child matures, he will be able to find willing partners regardless of his sexual preference and physical presentation should he actively seek them out.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-21-2009 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,046,965 times
Quote:
That is what the problem is. People want to "fix" them. They just want to be as they are. So of all these thousands of people that my friend knows and the hundreds she knows personally and the few that I know, it's as simple as going to the doc and getting a scrip? nope. Sorry. They just want to be accepted or leave them alone. Simple
The issue here is a psychological condition known as Gender Identity Disorder (GID). Furthermore, it is treatable. If your child had Autism, and there was a cure, you would certainly would want the procedure to be carried out on your child, no? Or, would you rather accept them the way they are and force them through a more difficult life due to their condition? I can't even imagine how much torment a child with GID would go through in middle and high school.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:15 AM

How is it treatable? And, who's performing the treatment?

Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,235,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The issue here is a psychological condition known as Gender Identity Disorder (GID). Furthermore, it is treatable. If your child had Autism, and there was a cure, you would certainly would want the procedure to be carried out on your child, no? Or, would you rather accept them the way they are and force them through a more difficult life due to their condition? I can't even imagine how much torment a child with GID would go through in middle and high school.

Again, many people including the many transgenders do NOT believe this to be a disorder!

And even the doctors that DO believe it to be a disorder agree that hormone treatments and therapy work best. But because most are children the hormone treatment is not the best option for them. So many doctors agree that allowing the child to BE is the best thing you can do until they are old enough to either decide to stay the way they are and maybe get surgery, take the hormones and in some cases (RARELY) the child "grows out of it."

And I do understand that people have opinions. That is it. I am speaking from the actual transgender OPINION.

The fact that some drs think this is a mental disorder means nothing. Many think the opposite.

And if they can be "fixed" so easily why are there so many transgenders? Because it is who they are, how they were born and would like to get a little support in being just that.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,763,243 times
Quote:
I speak with facts and you are speaking out of opinion. I respect the opinion but this situation HAS fact and must be looked at from the FACTS.
The FACTS are that there are many children who want to be the opposite gender for a while or for several years, and yet later change their minds and gladly "revert" to their birth gender. I should know, I was one of them. I wanted to be a boy for the first ten years of my life.

Then, I grew out of it, and became the happy, well-adjusted female that I am today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting