Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,020 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of researching items to buy for the new baby. With our last child we had really nice Dr. Browns bottles but ended up selling them (and everything else) in a garage sale last year. We thought we were done having kids so now I am trying to weed through baby stuff once again.
My question is, I keep hearing how horrible BPA is but the BPA FREE bottles seem so outrageous in price! They still make ones that are not BPA FREE so I am wondering why they still do that if BPA is so horrible. If it were that terrible would'nt they force people to make non-BPA products?
Can anyone help me out here? I don't want to harm my child but the price of these bottles seems so expensive! FTR - my son had Dr. Browns bottles which were pricey but this was before they whole BPA scare so I am kind of at a loss here.

Kristine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:25 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,403 times
No, bpa free is not expensive. Of course the more expensive brands are bpa free but so are brands like Playtex and Medilla and many walmart and target brands.

No, it is not safe for children. It is a hormone disrupter and can cause cancer. Of course in small amounts it is safe (but a LOT of small amounts add up to a LARGE amount) and it should always be avoided.

It is not expensive to go BPA free in bottles and toys. For feeding Playtex, Munchkin and most Sassy products are bpa free. Most of it says it on the labels.

For toys Sassy, Infantino, Chicco just to name a few that are good priced.

They still use it because they can. It is not allowed in childrens products in Europe and other places but the good old US tries to save a buck at our children's expense by importing cheap and dangerous toys to our country.

Stay away from the dollar store and HARD CLEAR PLASTIC. If it is cloudy you can be pretty sure it doesn't contain bpa/plastic #7. .

You can direct message me. I know tons about this stuff.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:29 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,020 times
I guess I will have to look some more because the ones I was finding were like $20.00 for two bottles. That is crazy! We plan to formula feed from the get-go so $10.00 per bottle can get to be quite pricey!

Kristine

Old 05-11-2009, 02:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
A few weeks ago I purchased a set (3) of Dr. Brown's 4oz for a baby shower...$15....from Babies R Us.

Not cheap. You are right.

Babies R Us "supposedly" is BPA free in baby feeding & baby toys. WalMart claims to be going the same route.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,403 times
When you buy glass or high end bpa free stuff of course it isn't going to be cheap!!!

Playtex drop ins and many other brands ARE bpa free. You can find them at a very reasonable price at walmart and target. Walmart also has some individual bottles in a bin by the feeding stuff and are only $1 a piece. . .I think they are by evenflow

Walmart.com: Baby: Feeding: BPA Free

Evenflo BPA-Free Bottle - 8-oz. : Target

Don't waste your money on the expensive brands. Not needed. A nice set of glass bottles ARE nice to have around. THey are the safest when it comes to all the plastic hype obviously.

You don't need to "look harder," a phone call to the number on the back of the packages takes a couple seconds if it is not listed as bpa free. The company can tell you outright. . .

Old 05-11-2009, 03:24 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,040 times
I read a lot on BPA sometime ago...I heard about this AFTER of course I was done with this stage with my kids. BPA is pretty bad. It's in the early legal stages like lead in paint first was. When plastic becomes scratched, it should be thrown away. If its foggy, its really bad. When those bottles get that sticky feeling...thats REALLY bad and leaking lots of BPA.

I am working on getting rid off ALL the plastic in my kitchen. I want to custom order a dishwasher without any plastic in it and only use "green" soap in it (because of the phosphates). We don't use the one we have and wash everything by hand.

That is why we suddenly are getting bombarded with all the "use plastic-its great" commercials. Another thing I hate are plastic cutting boards. Everytime you slice against it, you're adding BPA spice to your food. Some freak out about wood and holding in bacteria but in reality wood releases an acid that kills it. I want all wood, metal, glass/ceramic, and stone.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,871 times
what is BPA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting