Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times

Advertisements

Have your kids ever gotten in trouble at school and the school expected you to carry punishment thru to the home as well?

I realize it depends what the issue was, but..

If you didn't really agree that what they did was all that bad, did you voice it out and have a drawn out battle with the school or did you play along and let them believe you were going to give Junior a stern talking to when you got home and then didn't really do it?

My son defended himself in a fight. I talked to him about at home and I'm sorry but I couldn't come down on him for defending himself. I felt what he did what right in the given circumstance: a very human response against any aggressor. He got suspended for a day for fighting and the school expected he'd learn his lesson at home. But what was I really supposed to do? He ended up just tagging along with me on errands that day.

I did tell him I don't want him fighting, but if someone starts it, I won't get mad about him for finishing it or at least defending himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
It's so necessary that kids know right from wrong, and to trust (in most cases) their parents. I would have done the very same thing as you did.
Quote:
I did tell him I don't want him fighting, but if someone starts it, I won't get mad about him for finishing it or at least defending himself.
Is he aware of this? It's easier for a kid to do what he needs to do when he knows his parent is behind him.

I have never taken consequences at school seriously. They use a lot of scare tactics that mean nothing.

Remember back when, when teachers and administrators would say, "This will go on your permanent record."? There is no permanent record.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:52 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
That is similar to what happened to my son, except he didn’t get caught. My son’s friend hit him in the face with a water bottle (at school). My son told him to knock it off. The boy did it again and my son socked him in the face, knocking him down into a puddle. My son didn’t get caught, and told me what happened as soon as he got home (and was wondering if the other boy told and if the school called home, which they didn’t).

I felt my son was right in defending himself (and not letting someone walk all over him), even though it violated school rules. Had he been caught, he would have been most likely suspended for a day. I would not have fought the charges and would have accepted the suspension (as it was a school rule violation), however I felt my son did the right thing and would not have punished at home.

My son's a peaceful type of guy, not the kind who would start fights. We discussed not starting fights and that, in my opinion, it was good that he didn't let his friend walk all over him and that he defended himself, and that if the other boy reports it and my son receives a suspension, so be it.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Nah, I would've done the same thing. The schools tend to go overboard on this stuff. My son's had a couple of fights in his day. He's a boy, for God's sake. Boys fight. I'm of the same mind. Don't start anything, but if someone else does, go for it. Don't just stand there like a moron. And how many kids (after a certain age) would run to a teacher if someone started a fight with them?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Oh yeah he knows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
It's so necessary that kids know right from wrong, and to trust (in most cases) their parents. I would have done the very same thing as you did.

Is he aware of this? It's easier for a kid to do what he needs to do when he knows his parent is behind him.

I have never taken consequences at school seriously. They use a lot of scare tactics that mean nothing.

Remember back when, when teachers and administrators would say, "This will go on your permanent record."? There is no permanent record.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Have your kids ever gotten in trouble at school and the school expected you to carry punishment thru to the home as well?

I realize it depends what the issue was, but..

If you didn't really agree that what they did was all that bad, did you voice it out and have a drawn out battle with the school or did you play along and let them believe you were going to give Junior a stern talking to when you got home and then didn't really do it?

My son defended himself in a fight. I talked to him about at home and I'm sorry but I couldn't come down on him for defending himself. I felt what he did what right in the given circumstance: a very human response against any aggressor. He got suspended for a day for fighting and the school expected he'd learn his lesson at home. But what was I really supposed to do? He ended up just tagging along with me on errands that day.

sometimes it's necessary to go eyeball-to-eyeball with school staff, along the line of "I'M the parent- in my home I'm the parent, and even when my kid is in school I'm still the parent..."

Old 04-28-2009, 12:12 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Our son is very passive but we have instilled in him he is allowed to fight to defend himself. My husband has stated (he was bullied as a child) that he will go to school and blast anyone who punishes our son for defending himself.

Sigh, boys have to fight sometimes. It's a male thing.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:44 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Schools have no say in how I discipline my children, as long as I am not breaking the law (i.e., abusing them). It's none of their business.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Schools have no say in how I discipline my children, as long as I am not breaking the law (i.e., abusing them). It's none of their business.

So you tell them that? Or do ya just nod your head and agree for their sakes and do what ya want once they are out of the picture?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:11 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post

So you tell them that? Or do ya just nod your head and agree for their sakes and do what ya want once they are out of the picture?
I've never had a school official tell me or suggest to me how to discipline my children. I imagine I'd probably look at them incredulously for a moment and then say my husband and I would deal with the problem at home. That would be the end of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting