Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,089 times

Advertisements

My LeLeche League leader told me that a breastfed baby DOES need to be woken if he/she goes longer than 5-6 hours at night without a feeding (from birth to 3 months) . Unless you are willing to nurse him ever 2-3 hours while awake. They need a certain amount of milk everday. They need at least 20oz of breastmilk a day. If they are getting that during the DAY then all is well.

I nursed every 3 hours even during the night until she was 4 months old. Then I cut out the 12 am feeding so she slept from 9pm to 3am. Then I cut out the 3am feeding at 6 months. Then at 8 months she started going to bed at 7:30pm and sleeping all the way through until 7am without nursing.

Here is a formula that LeLeche gave me:

kellymom.com :: How much expressed milk will my baby need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
I have a 5 week old and just read an article that says we shouldn't wake him up when he's sleeping. However, we feed him 3.5 ounces of breast milk every 3 hours. So, am I supposed to skip a feeding at night if he's sleep?
Never wake a sleeping baby.

I nursed both of mine & they woke when they were hungry, which was normally b/w 3-6hrs at this age. My #1 woke up every 2-3 hrs while #2 would go b/w 5-6hrs. Both gained weight & are thriving as toddlers.

Newborns wake up when they are hungry. For many babies at this age, that is the only reason they even bother to wake up.

This is also something that is very important to discuss with your doctor as none of us know the medical history of the baby....

Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Quote:
I have a 5 week old and just read an article that says we shouldn't wake him up when he's sleeping. However, we feed him 3.5 ounces of breast milk every 3 hours. So, am I supposed to skip a feeding at night if he's sleep?
Ask your doctor. There is such a thing as letting a baby sleep too long, and thus not feeding him often enough. I might go 5 hours at night. So, ya, that would pretty much amount to skipping a feeding.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:20 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Ask your doctor. There is such a thing as letting a baby sleep too long, and thus not feeding him often enough.
Some babies sleep through the night at 3 weeks old (6 or 7 hours) and stay awake a lot more during the day, breastfed or not. My kids were breastfed and slept through the night, one at 3 weeks, one at about 5 or 6 weeks, and one at 4 or 5 weeks. They are all healthy, strong kids. Not one of them suffered ill effects.

You can read every book out there, and listen to everybody who has an opinion, but in the end, only you know how your baby is growing and his/her preferences. As long as your baby is gaining weight and checking out well at the doctor's, then do what works for you and your baby, no matter what anybody else says.

Your baby will not sleep so long at night they he starves. There's no need to worry about that.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:56 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
I would wake the baby if the baby had not yet regained birth weight or was jaundiced. By 5 weeks, you should be past that stage, so I would let the baby sleep, unless there is some other medical issue or if the baby is not gaining weight. I agree with previous posters who said that you don't need to enforce a strict schedule of X ounces every Y hours. Just feed the baby when baby is hungry and make sure baby is getting enough ounces over a 24 hour period. If you find that baby isn't getting enough ounces in a day, then yes, I would then consider waking baby to eat.

Also, keep in mind that breastmilk is more quickly digested than formula, so a breastfed baby does tend to need to eat more frequently than a formula fed baby (though fewer ounces at a time). I just bring this up for you to consider as you receive advice from various sources.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,579 times
All the lactation consultants I've talked to say that the first two weeks you must wake and feed every two hours to keep their weight gain in check. After that, if and only if they are gaining appropriately and waking on their own, you may let them sleep longer.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:52 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,980 times
Ok im sorry im lost maybe im just inexperianced but why cant you wake a sleeping baby?

Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Ok im sorry im lost maybe im just inexperianced but why cant you wake a sleeping baby?
The idea is to get the baby use to sleeping through the night by 3 months old instead of constantly waking. By 3 months of age they should have all the nutrition they need during the day and evening without the need of a night time feed.

The only time you should wake a sleeping baby is to feed them if they are preemies and underweight. But if your baby is relatively healthy and had a big dose of breastmilk or formula as the last feed you may be able to skip a feed. Usually a baby will wake on its own when he or she is hungry anyway. Babies are very vocal in demands.

I breastfeed my son and there were times he ate too much during the day and slept through till about 5am. For those times when I thought of waking him, I didn't and when I would he would just fall asleep on the boob anyway because he wasn't interested. So what was the point? I checked in on him and just pumped the milk as reserve for the day.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:06 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
The idea is to get the baby use to sleeping through the night by 3 months old instead of constantly waking. By 3 months of age they should have all the nutrition they need during the day and evening without the need of a night time feed.

The only time you should wake a sleeping baby is to feed them if they are preemies and underweight. But if your baby is relatively healthy and had a big dose of breastmilk or formula as the last feed you may be able to skip a feed. Usually a baby will wake on its own when he or she is hungry anyway. Babies are very vocal in demands.

I breastfeed my son and there were times he ate too much during the day and slept through till about 5am. For those times when I thought of waking him, I didn't and when I would he would just fall asleep on the boob anyway because he wasn't interested. So what was the point? I checked in on him and just pumped the milk as reserve for the day.

ohhh ok I thought it was implying that you should never wake a sleeping baby like something bad will happen or something. my dd is a heavy sleeper and I have to wake her in the morning to take her to daycare. I was thinking oh no! what have I done when i first read the title of this thread. Thanks Mrs X.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
You'll have a happier child if you just let him/her sleep...take advantage of it..get some sleep yourself...interesting that you feed "3.5 ounces every three hours"...why is that?...babys really are quite easy to care for you know...just feed them when they're hungry(as much as they want, no need to measure), and leave them sleeping when they need....We've raised 4 children, and it never even occured to me to think of scheduling their food intake...no more than I would schedule mine....as long as your baby is eating, pooping, and sleeping...and gradually gaining weight .....you've got it made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting