Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:20 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,627,236 times

Advertisements

Just a general poll. Regarding someone --yes, 33 years old and still lives at home with his parents.
(Exception if the parent is ill, home-bound) It just seems regressive. What does everyone else think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 11:42 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,233,274 times
I believe the parents are enabling the adult child to be dependent and not self-sufficient. My children are 33 and 30 and there would be no way either would still be living at home under normal circumstances. They wouldn't want it and neither would I.

Even if the son "pays his way", my thought is that it isn't normal for him to want to live with his parents or his parents to want him to live there. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:44 AM

I agree with that post. Hope to hear from others re: this, thanks!

sunny

Old 03-03-2007, 12:06 PM

484 posts, read 1,946,348 times
It depends. Does he have a job? Has he just been through a divorce? If everyone is getting along, what's the problem?

Old 03-03-2007, 12:12 PM

It just seems like an excuse. Of course my Mom died when I was 20 so maybe I feel someone like that is too old to be a Mama's boy.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,371,859 times
Ugh. A mama's boy. Don't even get me started. I have a few things to say about men that are in their 30s and may not live with their parents but spend every waking moment at Mama's, often sleeping over or taking her out on "dates," like to the drive-in.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:49 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,615,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Just a general poll. Regarding someone --yes, 33 years old and still lives at home with his parents.
(Exception if the parent is ill, home-bound) It just seems regressive. What does everyone else think?
I think it's ridiculous, but I also consider the area.

It's much more common in the high-priced areas like Long Island because MOST people can't afford to live there. So, some folks rent Mom's basement until marriage.

It's a little "losery" IMO, but I can understand it.

I personally want my kids to stick around until they at least have a 6 figure bank account. Then I'll start nudging them out the door

-TT

Old 03-03-2007, 12:51 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,486,209 times
Well, for the time being, I am one. Within a three day span last year, I separated from my now ex-wife then donated a kidney to my mother. Part of the reason I moved back in was because my recovery was much quicker than hers, so I was able to help my dad out with some things around the house. By then, we all figured that since I am leaving the area anyway, I shouldn't waste my money on the outrageous rents in NJ.

It's not my favorite arrangement, no doubt about it, but I'm not ashamed of it, either, and I don't think that I'm being a "mama's boy". It is what it is, and soon it'll be in the past.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:57 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,615,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Well, for the time being, I am one. Within a three day span last year, I separated from my now ex-wife then donated a kidney to my mother. Part of the reason I moved back in was because my recovery was much quicker than hers, so I was able to help my dad out with some things around the house. By then, we all figured that since I am leaving the area anyway, I shouldn't waste my money on the outrageous rents in NJ.

It's not my favorite arrangement, no doubt about it, but I'm not ashamed of it, either, and I don't think that I'm being a "mama's boy". It is what it is, and soon it'll be in the past.
Well MB I would say your situation would be filed under "extenuating circumstances", to say the least. I think SH was talking about the 35 year old adolescents who can't seem to grow up. You know the type. They still spend all night in the bar, zero career ambition, etc.

Giving up a kidney to mom earns a HUGE pass In fact, given the possible complications that can arise months later, you're probably right where you should be.

-TT

Old 03-03-2007, 01:06 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,486,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Well MB I would say your situation would be filed under "extenuating circumstances", to say the least. I think SH was talking about the 35 year old adolescents who can't seem to grow up. You know the type. They still spend all night in the bar, zero career ambition, etc.

Giving up a kidney to mom earns a HUGE pass In fact, given the possible complications that can arise months later, you're probably right where you should be.

-TT
Thanks, Yap. I just wanted to point out that not every such situation is necessarily what meets the eye However, I do agree that someone my age should only be back home under unusual circumstances. I remember when I got my first apartment, and how awesome that felt. Paying the bills sucked, but there was such a novelty to being able to come and go as I pleased, cleaning however often (or when I was a young slob, as little) as I wanted, if I wanted to eat junk food for dinner no one was there to give me grief- all those little things were such a rush. I couldn't imagine any young adult NOT wanting that independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting