Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 12:50 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,848,400 times

Advertisements

My step dad absolutely loves sitting in his recliner and watching tv or surfing the net.
He has an 8 year old daughter who comes over every other weekend and one day out the week every other week.
He records a lot of shows for her on our DVR and a lot of times she just sits around watching tv.
I know my parents were not perfect when it came to limiting my tv but I also remember my dad reading to me a lot, me reading the newspaper with him, us going different places together, etc, etc.

It just bothers me that he spends so little quality time with her considering her time with him is so limited.
There are periodic times where they will go out and do something (mostly in the summer) but too many times I've seen or heard him ignore her and just get upset whenever she asks him to come spend time with her when he'd much rather continue to surf the net or watch some show on tv.

How do I get him to realize that he needs to spend more time with her....or do I even have a place in saying he needs to spend more time with her?

I don't want her to look back saying her dad barely spent time with her and I don't want him to look back wishing he had spent more time with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:20 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,739,659 times
He's the parent. And he's not the first bad dad...won't be the last.

But you know, he may not know what to do. Alot of parents are simply just not plugged into their kids or sucessful parenting.

His peers need to alert him to the problem...and his 8 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting