Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:22 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times

Advertisements

But I no choice unless you want them relegated to a mundane career. That's how hyper-competitive things are today.

I live in a mostly all white affluent part of Texas. I kept seeing these Asian parents at games, swimming practice, soccer practice having their kid's do the Kumon math exercises while the other siblings practiced their sport.

So I wander in to the Kumon office in my nearly all white section of town and low and behold there are nearly all Indians and Chinese parents in here?

What the hell?? You can just forget your kids going to medical school or being an engineer with these folks around.

Push, push, push. Survival of the fittest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 09:47 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
Sooo.... ignoring your blatant stereotypes and generalization, let me see if I can follow your logic.

Some Asian parents send their kids to Kumon. Some Asian children grow up to be doctors and engineers.

Therefore, being sent to Kumon means that you will become a doctor or engineer.

Let's expand that:

Some Asian parents eat peanut butter and noodles mixed together. Some Asian children grow up to be doctors and engineers.

You don't have to send your child to Kumon! You can just serve them noodles with peanut butter and it will have the same effect!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 AM

542 posts, read 1,684,447 times
I suppose my kids will end up in mundane careers as well because I don't even know what Kumon is!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
You may be right! But I'll take the healthy, imaginative, happy child anyday over some robot! Kids burn out and believe me it does happen all to often. When do those children get to be children? Sorry, that isn't for my kids!! Life is to short to live it as an adult from day one!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Sooo.... ignoring your blatant stereotypes and generalization, let me see if I can follow your logic.

Some Asian parents send their kids to Kumon. Some Asian children grow up to be doctors and engineers.

Therefore, being sent to Kumon means that you will become a doctor or engineer.

Let's expand that:

Some Asian parents eat peanut butter and noodles mixed together. Some Asian children grow up to be doctors and engineers.

You don't have to send your child to Kumon! You can just serve them noodles with peanut butter and it will have the same effect!
That's a terrible analogy. Tutoring does increase your chances of going to medical school, to becoming an engineer.

Are you denying this??

And yes I'm fully aware I'm making a generalization. Of course all the kids aren't Asian, of course all the kids aren't going to medical school.

Yes we even have some Asians in prison. What's your point???

That has nothing to do with the fact these folk's culture has them pushing their kids from age 3 to learn, learn, learn. Be number #1....don't disgrace the family...LOL

Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You may be right! But I'll take the healthy, imaginative, happy child anyday over some robot! Kids burn out and believe me it does happen all to often. When do those children get to be children? Sorry, that isn't for my kids!! Life is to short to live it as an adult from day one!

I hear you. I sympathize with that. But that's not how the game is played today.

These parents, (including myself reluctantly ) are having their kids tutored above and beyond what the schools are teaching. (Now be careful because I'm about to make a "generalization" here for our politically tender readers). These kids "in general" are going to get the slots in medical schools, the kids are going to get into the better colleges, these kids are going to get the more lucrative careers. And because your kid wasn't pushed hard enough they can fend for what's left.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:24 AM

697 posts, read 2,014,713 times
We tried Kumon. Even though a child can move very quickly, you can be even more effective at home by making the pages up yourself. All it is, is repetitive exercises. My daughter did quite well, but forgot everything shortly after leaving that program. So, it was essentially useless.

Besides, Kumon is very expensive.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
Yes, I guess I am denying that being drilled on math problems for a few hours after school when you're 7 makes any difference as to whether you will go to medical school.

But that's not waht you said. You said "you can forget having YOUR KID (speaking to the non-Asians who don't send their kid to Kumon) go to medical or engineering school with these people (Asians who do send their kids to Kumon) around." I read it as "with all of these Asians infiltrating my white neighborhood with their Kumon lessons, they are stealing my kids' future educational options!" Really, what someone else does has very little impact on your child. Don't sweat it.

And I hear the poster on the robot thing. I don't even send my kids to SCHOOL, much less Kumon. It's not my ultimate goal to send them to medical school or engineering school unless they want to go. Sending a child to Kumon when they are young does not guarantee (or even greatly increase the odds of having) a future doctor in the family.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
My sister went to Kumon because she needed remedial help to get up to speed with the rest of the class. I actually thought that's what Kumon was for - catching up rather than getting ahead. It did help her - she's doing much better now. So she doesn't go to Kumon anymore...

Old 10-02-2008, 10:31 AM

697 posts, read 2,014,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I hear you. I sympathize with that. But that's not how the game is played today.

These parents, (including myself reluctantly ) are having their kids tutored above and beyond what the schools are teaching. (Now be careful because I'm about to make a "generalization" here). These kids "in general" are going to get the slots in medical schools, the kids are going to get into the better colleges, these kids are going to get the more lucrative careers. And because your kid wasn't pushed hard enough they can fend for what's left.
I don't know what you are expecting of your child, but don't you think some of it is up to him? He needs the motivation above anything else and that can't be learned by the push method you think is so necessary. Maybe encouragement, but not push.

The one thing very successful people have in common is personal drive. That doesn't come from tutoring or pushing parents. If a person doesn't have that drive, it doesn't matter what his mother wanted for him. IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

And what is this with top colleges? Some of the smaller ones provide more opportunity to become a better rounded person for a LOT of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting