Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,130,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The question did not ask HOW a parent would respond or if they would like what they heard.

It was "should parents be informed?

Yes or no.

And a MINOR is NOT AN ADULT!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO, WE are the adults, and we should hope that WE have taught our children enough COMMON SENSE to know that it is always best to BE PREPARED.

BE PREPARED does not mean you will have to use it. It means you have the option of using it.

Most kids who get knocked up don't plan on it, they may not even have planned on having sex. But it happens. I don't like it. But it happens. I want my child to stay a CHILD as long as she can, and the best way i can do that is to let her protect herself from becoming a childhood mommy.
Allowing her to have all the tools she needs to protect herself (I prefer condoms for the disease factor alone).

What makes you think children should have babies? Because that is what happens when kids don't use protection.

Weren't you guys ever teenagers?

Babies end up having babies for a variety of reason, but the saddest one and most UNEXCUSEABLE ONE is that in this day and age with an abundance of birth control out there, they still manage to get pregnant.

If only Bristol Cream's and JamieSpin Lears mommies had given them a handful of condoms or a supply of birth control these CHILDREN would not be having a CHILDREN and their lives would not be altered forever.

ON the other hand---> I just love it when my uncle is only 10 months older than me. it makes for THE BEST family Xmas card photo EVER!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,924,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
NO, WE are the adults, and we should hope that WE have taught our children enough COMMON SENSE to know that it is always best to BE PREPARED.

BE PREPARED does not mean you will have to use it. It means you have the option of using it.

Most kids who get knocked up don't plan on it, they may not even have planned on having sex. But it happens. I don't like it. But it happens. I want my child to stay a CHILD as long as she can, and the best way i can do that is to let her protect herself from becoming a childhood mommy.
Allowing her to have all the tools she needs to protect herself (I prefer condoms for the disease factor alone).

What makes you think children should have babies? Because that is what happens when kids don't use protection.

Weren't you guys ever teenagers?

Babies end up having babies for a variety of reason, but the saddest one and most UNEXCUSEABLE ONE is that in this day and age with an abundance of birth control out there, they still manage to get pregnant.

If only Bristol Cream's and JamieSpin Lears mommies had given them a handful of condoms or a supply of birth control these CHILDREN would not be having a CHILDREN and their lives would not be altered forever.

ON the other hand---> I just love it when my uncle is only 10 months older than me. it makes for THE BEST family Xmas card photo EVER!
Good answer. I'd rep you but I can't yet.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
It's not what the OP asked.

But since you are putting your personal spin on it, nope, guess I don't.

I'm not concerned about every Suzy or Johnny on issues that involve parental choice. Their parents have the right to parent as they chose just as I do.

I wouldn't beat my child nor would I take them out for ice cream if I was informed.

I also don't teach them that their way of thinking or choices are superior than others & throw a temper tantrum when someone doesn't agree with them.

And back to our regular scheduled programming: should a parent be informed if their minor child gets birth control?

And my answer : yes.
Moderator cut: partial cut

Then again, your way of thinking didn't work for my parents. They were even more prudish than you seem to be, yet I got birth control anyway and I also ran off and deliberately got pregnant before I was married (ooooh sinful harlot!).

On the flip side, I was absolutely open with my children about their developing sexuality, I taught them about birth control and sex and also that there is a lot of emotional baggage that can go along with having sex. And guess what? Neither one of them has produced unwanted children or gotten STDs. I must have gotten something right, wanton immoral parent that I am.

Last edited by jeannie216; 09-25-2008 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 02:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,518,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

Most kids who get knocked up don't plan on it, they may not even have planned on having sex. But it happens. I don't like it. But it happens. I want my child to stay a CHILD as long as she can,
You are expecting your child to make grown-up decisions based on what is easiest for you.

Mixed messages to children can be very damaging. "I don't want you to have sex but here is birth control if you do."

I live very straighforward. If my child decides to have sex at 15, they can live with the consequences as any adult would. They made an adult decision & thus they can live with the adult consequences.

As for the Spears family...I think we all can agree that condoms nor birth control would save the trainwreck that has gone on there.

I believe Sarah Palin has been quoted as saying that this will require her daughter to grow up very quickly. Yep, it sure will. Maybe she was on birth control. Maybe they did use condoms. The fact is that her 17yr daughter is pregnant. And her 17yr old daughter made a VERY conscious choice & can now live with that decision. Do I feel sorry for her? No.

But, then again, this society is so wanting teenagers to make decisions adults are not even wise about, so to each their own.

Again, the OP was asking if parents should be informed. I said "yes" b/c I believe a parent should be aware of the actions of their minor children. That's all.

Last edited by 121804; 09-25-2008 at 03:00 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 02:56 PM

589 posts, read 1,636,993 times
Quote:

I also don't teach them that their way of thinking or choices are superior than others & throw a temper tantrum when someone doesn't agree with them.

And back to our regular scheduled programming: should a parent be informed if their minor child gets birth control?

And my answer : yes.

THANK YOU!

I'd toss you a rep but it won't let me give you anymore! LOL

Old 09-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
If you don't care if the child gets beaten by the parent, why would you care if the parent is informed? Obviously this situation won't apply to you since your children will be perfect little automatons with no sexual feelings whatsoever.

Then again, your way of thinking didn't work for my parents. They were even more prudish than you seem to be, yet I got birth control anyway and I also ran off and deliberately got pregnant before I was married (ooooh sinful harlot!).

On the flip side, I was absolutely open with my children about their developing sexuality, I taught them about birth control and sex and also that there is a lot of emotional baggage that can go along with having sex. And guess what? Neither one of them has produced unwanted children or gotten STDs. I must have gotten something right, wanton immoral parent that I am.
Wow, you have some serious issues.

Hope you can get them taken care of b/c you appear incredibly hostile & angry.

Best of luck.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM

589 posts, read 1,636,993 times
The title of this thread is...

should parents be informed if a minor gets birth control?

Moderator cut: partial cut

Let's keep this to the TOPIC at hand and not go down the slippery slope of making it personal, please.

Last edited by jeannie216; 09-25-2008 at 04:17 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM

The reason I brought up my personal experience is simply to show that not every family is rainbows and happy unicorns. If you say "yes" you should be able to give logical reasons why. If you say "no", same thing applies. I said "no" and thus presented my explanation as to why. Really, people...it's Debate 101...you have to be able to give solid arguments to back up your opinions.

And I still say no. If a child isn't comfortable going to their parent for bc, then there's a reason why.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:33 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,348,489 times
Default Hmmmmmmm.......

I'll bet it was an interesting classroom discussion! I have found that many of the college students I teach intend to be far stricter with their children than their parents were with them. The pendulum swings back!

that said, y'all are getting way too irate! Bottom line is this:

LEGALLY, healthcare treatment that can be provided without parental consent (regardless of age) but
usually @ least age 13:

Family Planning Services
Pregnancy Care (including Prenatal Care)
Emergency Services (if it is impractical to obtain consent first if needed)
Legally emancipated minors
Treatment requested for a suspected STD
Chemical/Substance abuse treatment
Mental Health (in some situations)

Our office has a policy that we tell the kids upfront, basically, if we see them for BC, STD, or anything that may be putting them at risk, we reserve the right to inform their parents. I do not necesarily agree with that, but since I work there, I adhere to it. And many pay cash so as NOT to use insurance or have parent(s) billed. At least these kids are proactive and seeking help, protection, honest answers, and/or treatment. It is not my place to nor do I judge or prostelitize to them.
I worry about the ones we are missing!

Last edited by mm_mary73; 09-25-2008 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
The reason I brought up my personal experience is simply to show that not every family is rainbows and happy unicorns. If you say "yes" you should be able to give logical reasons why. If you say "no", same thing applies. I said "no" and thus presented my explanation as to why. Really, people...it's Debate 101...you have to be able to give solid arguments to back up your opinions.

And I still say no. If a child isn't comfortable going to their parent for bc, then there's a reason why.
Your personal experience does not apply to every single family. It's just that...your personal experience.

You presented your side. Moderator cut: partial cut

And in Debate 101, one of the first things you learn is not to mix emotion with fact. Moderator cut: partial cut A good debate doesn't get juvenile nor emotional.

You said your opinion. Let other's say theirs. Not everyone has to agree nor is going to agree with you. That's Life 101.

Please reread my first post in which I clearly stated why I said yes. It has nothing to do with personal experience. Moderator cut: partial cut

I just wish sometimes the originators of these posts which are very controversial would actually come back on & make a remark. It seems sometimes people like to watch the meanness that could occur rather than anything else.

I rather enjoy the more controversial just b/c I find the topics interesting. I just don't like being attacked nor attacking. It's not my intent & I didn't like it in junior high nor do I like it now as an adult.

SuSuShusi...your point was heard the first time. Moderator cut: partial cut YOu have every right to your opinion just as I do to mine. Moderator cut: partial cut

Last edited by jeannie216; 09-26-2008 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting