Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 AM

544 posts, read 1,058,081 times

Advertisements

My 2 year old fell yesterday while playing and bit her tongue - it bled for a few seconds but I rinsed her mouth and applied some peroxide on a qtip and it stopped. She now has a cut on her tongue, my partner says it's not big deal and it will heal iteslef in a week or so but it looks really serious to me. I called her doctor and was advised if it wasn't bothering her then it's fine and just to give her soft foods and avoide acids for the next two weeks but I still feel uneasy about it. Can anyone direct me to a website or something for more information?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,836 times
I would say if you are concerned, you should just have it looked at - it will give you piece of mind and that is very important - the tounge heals VERY quickly, but any amount of worry that could be avoided should be in my opinion It does sound like as long as the bite stopped bleeding it should be ok from what I have read (but your own piece of mind is what is important)

Hope she feels better quickly!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:30 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
My 2 year old fell yesterday while playing and bit her tongue - it bled for a few seconds but I rinsed her mouth and applied some peroxide on a qtip and it stopped. She now has a cut on her tongue, my partner says it's not big deal and it will heal iteslef in a week or so but it looks really serious to me. I called her doctor and was advised if it wasn't bothering her then it's fine and just to give her soft foods and avoide acids for the next two weeks but I still feel uneasy about it. Can anyone direct me to a website or something for more information?
I agree with the previous poster. If it isn't bleeding it shouldn't be a problem but if this is really driving you up the wall get a doctor to take a look.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
The same thing happened to my then-2 year old at day care (a bigger kid pushed him, not on purpose, it was more the caregiver's fault than the kid's. GRRRRR .)

He was not that badly injured, although it seemed so at the time. I immediately took him to the pediatrician though. You should too.

Five years later, you can still see the bite marks on his tongue.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 AM

620 posts, read 1,950,645 times
You might want to have it checked out just to be sure. They might give a round of antibiotics so it doesn't get infected or anything. It must have been the day for two year olds to get hurt. My little guy fell off the chair and bit his lip hard! I am keeping an eye on just to make sure it doesn't get infected because it was a pretty bad bite.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:44 AM

544 posts, read 1,058,081 times
Well i took her to a walk-in and the doctor looked at it and gave her a lollipop and sent us home. He said the only time doctors put stitches in the mouths of very small children is in the event the bite goes all the way through and that even deep cuts heal on their own i just have to keep a watch on it and try to get her to rinse her mouth but at least now i feel better

Old 09-18-2008, 02:29 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,713 times
My sister bit her tongue nearly off when she was young. The doctor put two stitches in it (he said he NEVER puts stitches in tongues, but since her's was hanging by very small pieces at both sides, he thought she should have a couple) and sent her home to eat popsicles for a few days. That didn't go over too well with the rest of us, but she was happy.

Her tongue healed fine, but she still can feel a scar inside when she looks for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting