Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,472 times

Advertisements

Any and all help I can get in this matter would greatly be appreciated. My 7 year old daughter has to get up at 6:15AM to get ready for school. I usually serve breakfast at 6:45am. It seems like not matter how much or how little I give her she still gets sick. I have tried 1 egg, and half a peice of toast, two peices of french toast, and today a half of a small apple. Each time she gets sick, and it comes right back up. She eats ok every other time, just breakfast. Now on the weekends she usually gets up around 7am, and it's usually 8:30/9am before we eat. She handles breakfast just fine then, it's only when she gets up early. my husband is the same way. He doesn't want to eat first thing in the morning. Could it be something that she inherited from him? Should I let her go to school without breakfast? I just hate to send her off to school without anything to eat, because it's 9:30am before she gets a snack break at school. I thought about trying a fruit smoothie for her in the mornings, but don't know if that would help. Somebody please help me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 07:37 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,966,852 times
Well, if she's getting sick after she eats, I'm assuming she doesn't eat anything after that so she's still going to school without eating.

My son hated eating in the morning. I would force the issue when he was little but it was always a fight. I finally realized it wasn't worth it. He'll figure out how/when he needs to eat on his own. He's a freshman in highschool now - still never eats breakfast. Alive and kicking though - takes honors classes - so it's not like his brain was starved I think it's always partly been to nerves in the morning, but even during the summer he's never been a breakfast eater.

I had these issues when I was little too. I was always nervous about going to school. Not sure why really. I could really get myself worked up in the morning.

Has she complained that she's starving way before the snack? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably more stressful for her to have to eat and then throw it up every morning than just not eat and have her snack later.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:09 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,291,273 times
My youngest son hates eating first thing in the morning and like your daughter does just fine on the weekends. I don't force him to eat, and he is thriving. I don't like to eat when I first get up either.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,567,975 times
I agree with not forcing it... if she's functioning well in school and not starving then let her body regulate things - she doesn't want to eat early so don't force her to.

While I don't get sick if I eat early, I just don't have the desire too. I have rarely ever eaten breakfast and and have entered middle age very healthy.

Don't sweat it unless you have evidence of other issues.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 AM

372 posts, read 1,230,095 times
My oldest daughter isn't really a breakfast eater either, and I think her younger brother is following in the same footsteps.

She started this "not eating" when she was in 4th grade. Yes, I did worry about her, and how she would get through until lunchtime with eating nothing. But we came to a comprimise; if she wasn't hungry, then she would take a granola bar, or some reasonably healthy snack, along with her to school. Sometimes she ate it, other times not.

She's a sophmore in high school now, and this "system" has worked great for us. She'll even eat breakfast at home some mornings now.

As for her brother, it's very hit-or-miss. Some days he's ravenous, other times he won't eat a bite in the AM. He still gets a snack at school, so I know that if he doesn't eat here, his snack is only 1 1/2 hrs after he gets to school.

I've just decided not to push the issue with them. I was always told that kids won't go hungry, and I have to say I now believe that. Just giving other breakfast options in the morning might help.

Hope this helps you!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:39 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,507,042 times
I think I would at least have her checked for a hiadal hernia that is relaxed while sleeping and springs up at 1st activity after awakening. Also a small chance of partial pyloric stenosis. Odds on her having either are small but certainly worth checking into as you dont want the problem to worsen. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,192,833 times
I wouldn't force her to eat, IF the snack time options are good. Is it a snack provided by the school, or by you? As long as the snack isn't some sugary overloaded goo, then l think that would suffice. If you can send something like granola type bars, or fresh fruit, or a PBJ sandwich, muffins, oatmeal cokies with raisins and nuts in them,little cups of fruit, dry cereal or snack mix,maybe a thermos of milk or soup for cold days....then that might be a good option. You might clue the teacher in...I bet you aren't alone in this I too hate to eat first thing and usually eat an hour or two after I get going. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:39 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,924,722 times
I think Capt. Dan had some interesting points. I would check with her doctor soon, if you haven't already. If it isn't something physical that needs to be remedied, then I would speak with her teacher. Let her know that she isn't eating breakfast and let her know that she needs to basically eat breakfast at snack time. Obviously, she can't have an egg and toast at snack time, but if you are allowed to bring in your own snack (compared to parents sharing snack time duty), you can find foods that will give her a lot of energy and nutrition. I'm thinking energy bars (especially homemade ones, but there are a lot of great ones out there; if you have a co-op grocery store nearby, you will be able to do a bulk order to cut down on cost), or maybe apples and peanut butter. Apples give a huge boost of energy, pb gives great protein. We add in Grape Nuts, too, for a little crunch (and a lot of fiber).

I would try a smoothie...what could it hurt at this point? If it works, then your problems are solved--you can add all sort of things in. But I would start with a very basic one first, like strawberries and bananas.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,755,426 times
Mine are light morning eaters too. We do Carnation Instant Breakfast a lot - but I cut down the portion (milk and powder) to like half. Then he takes some fruit or a breakfast bar or even nuts sometimes for a morning snack, which the teacher allows and encourages.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 AM

427 posts, read 1,389,242 times
I'm 22 now and I have never been able to eat breakfast before 9 o'clock. I still get sick if I do, and always have. She might just have a sensitive stomach. In grade school I would bring a snack, or wait till lunch. And in HS I would eat breakfast during study hall later in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting