Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 AM

151 posts, read 693,469 times

Advertisements

Im looking to put my son in sports. hes done soccer but he really wants to do basketball. I cant find any basketball around me for him. so I found out about lacrosse and wondered if anyone has their kid in this? my hubby thinks that sport is a waste of time. I also thought about flag football. My kid is skinny so im worried about the flag football thing. I just need to keep him busy till I can get him into the basketball in January. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:30 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
wow, you cant find basketball, but they have lacrosse? funny.
sorry i dont have any good answer for you. just thought how strange that was.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
Competitive swimming runs Oct - Jan/Feb, if that's something you'd be interested in. Usually they start the kids around your child's age.

I don't know much about lacrosse - it would be interesting to learn more, I would think.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Ummm if you're worried about flag football...stay away from lacrosse!! It's like hockey in shoes, it's a very rough sport. That said, lacrosse is an EXCELLENT sport! It combines speed, endurance, and agility with the hitting of hockey or football. It also has many strategic aspects normally associated with basketball such as the pick and roll, give and go, traps, and a host of possible set play options. It's the fastest growing sport in the US and many colleges outside the northeast and east coast regions are picking it up as a varsity sport. Especially at small, elite liberal arts colleges that don't have a football program and don't want to add one because they'd have to water down their entrance criteria to get enough kids to play competitively. Lots of possible scholarship opportunities in lacrosse. Lacrosse is also typically a spring sport in most parts of the country and starts before basketball ends and competes directly with baseball for players.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:33 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
I think lacrosse would be a great idea. Your husband probably thinks it is a waste of time because there aren't any pro teams. There is a lot of hussle up and down the field, which will help prepare him for basketball. From watching college lacrosse, the sport can get a bit rough--although most likely not so much for a 7 y.o.--so your husband shouldn't be able to complain that it is a woosey sport. There is definitely a skill in throwing and catching the ball. What can one season hurt?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:42 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I think lacrosse would be a great idea. Your husband probably thinks it is a waste of time because there aren't any pro teams. There is a lot of hussle up and down the field, which will help prepare him for basketball. From watching college lacrosse, the sport can get a bit rough--although most likely not so much for a 7 y.o.--so your husband shouldn't be able to complain that it is a woosey sport. There is definitely a skill in throwing and catching the ball. What can one season hurt?
There are 2 pro lacrosse leagues the MLL - Major League Lacrosse (outdoor summer season) and the NLL - National Lacrosse League (indoor winter).

majorleaguelacrosse.com: Home
NLL.com -- Official Website of the National Lacrosse League - Home

Old 09-10-2008, 12:47 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,230 times
Lacrosse sounds alittle rough for a little guy - love to watch it myself, but not sure I would encourage my little man that young... unless he really wanted to

Old 09-10-2008, 01:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
Im looking to put my son in sports. hes done soccer but he really wants to do basketball. I cant find any basketball around me for him. so I found out about lacrosse and wondered if anyone has their kid in this? my hubby thinks that sport is a waste of time. I also thought about flag football. My kid is skinny so im worried about the flag football thing. I just need to keep him busy till I can get him into the basketball in January. thanks.
ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

I played it through the college level as did my dh.

It's a wonderful sport.

At that age, the sport is going to focus on teamwork, agility, coordination, and just plain fun. Your son is at a perfect age to start being able to cradle the ball and run with the stick.

Your dh may think it's a waste of time b/c it really stops at the college level. There are professional leagues, but it's not a common sport. It is very physical contrary to popular belief.

You can pick up some kid lacrosse sticks at such places as Target or Toys R Us. They usually sell them in a package of 2 with a ball & around $15. Play around the yard with your son & see how he likes it.

I'm hoping to get into coaching at the grade school level for girls when my sons are in school. It's just a great team sport for youngsters.

As for flag football, the reason it's flag football is so the kids can't tackle or smash into one another. Your son would do fine with his physique.

There are different rules at the younger age for lacrosse as there are in football.

Good luck.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,118 times
all of my 4 children play lacrosse and love it! my 10 year old is not super agressive and he does pretty well too. The kids love it and it is soo good for them. It's huge at the college level and a bunch of kids from our area got scholarships for it. Our football guys love it and my 17 year old son said he wished that he could play every sport with a stick now!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:41 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,336 times
My older two both played lacrosse. My daughter still does. It is an excellent sport. The younger levels are no-contact. I wouldn't worry about it being too tough at this age. I say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting