Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times

Advertisements

I don't think her age is the problem. I think it's her learning ability they question. You can cry all you want, but if the kids were drug exposed they may even excel in a special ed class with resource teachers who can really help them focus. I worked with special needs childrens FAS and other genetic issues and they have all done SO MUCH BETTER in the special class.

You do want your child to succeed in life? I am telling you My birthday was in January and the cut off was Dec 2nd here. And I still got in because it was private school and i passed the entrance exam. Just beceause I was smart does not mean I should have been sent to school at 4 and I believe I would have been better off waiting a year. I believe even socially and academically it would benefit your child to redo Kindergarten.

Why are you so eager to keep her in the same grade if she is stumbling????? It only gets harder from here. MY 3 yr old can count to 30 forwards and backwards, read words, write her name, add the 1's. It doesn't mean I need to send her to school early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I will be meeting with them tomorrow so they can say the exact same thing they said today then I guess it is up to us. I guess what bothers me is that the principal who I have told off on another issue so my view of her is unprofessional made such a point of saying her age. She will be 6 in Nov. She went to preschool with her brother at 4 or she was soon to be 4. Both went to Kindergarden with no issues to not send them. They went to Kindergarden together and yes it was said they both could benefit with Summer school but they would be promoted. I just have to wonder if because my daughters age is younger and this state age requirement is different than MIchigan is she more a loss cause in comparion to say my son who is 6 already and went into first with things to work on to but yet nothing has been said about him. I don't know his school so I don't know what there typical stand is. I just know as someone who worked 5 years with Kindergarten and 1st graders that there was several that struggled and needed help and I have seen a Kindergardeners that couldn't write one letter to their name or know one color yet with one on one and parent help they moved up. I would hate to know that because my daughter is young in their eyes that help would be better used eleswhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,539,521 times
After much thinking anf looking into the situation and feeling what is best for my children I plan to pull them and homeschool for the rest of the year.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
After much thinking anf looking into the situation and feeling what is best for my children I plan to pull them and homeschool for the rest of the year.
Oh, wow, very exciting! I am a huge homeschool fan. Please let us know how it's going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting