Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 PM

438 posts, read 1,733,792 times

Advertisements

So, I've been smelling an unusual odor for a while after my daughter comes in from playing but choose to ignore it. Finally DH makes note of it and tells her she needs to start wearing deodorant. I also noticed a lot of blond hairs on her legs.

Now I feel like crying because she's growing up too fast and she's too young to be starting these changes! DH thinks I'm crazy and just doesn't get why I think it's a big deal.

I feel really emotional about this. Not quite sure why. It's not like she's moving out or anything. Anyone else experience these feelings?

Dea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:29 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,200,167 times
oh yeah...i remember DD at that age... One day they are little and the next, What happened. It was emotional for me too, because I wanted my daughter to be more informed than I was, and I wasn't sure how to talk to her about all that growing up stuff...My mom just didn't know how or what to say. I bumbled thru it.

IMO-It's your sweet little girl and you want to keep her that way Now is a great time to start helping her to learn to be a sweet growing up little girl. If you haven't already started talking about puberty, how about a little mom and daughter field trip out for a ice cream and a little girl talk about how as we get older our bodies begin changing and start off with one thing is sometimes our bodies have a different odor. And other people might notice and think we smell different or funny. (IMO if she doesn't know about periods yet...don't freak her out with TMI too quick... have more little time's out together later)
Tell her she might like to go pick out some pretty smelling soap to start using when she bathes and some deorderant ( and how to use...my friends' son thought he was supposed to rub all over him

Start laying the groundwork now so she can grow up into a poised, confident young woman, familiar with her body.

good luck mom!

( don't wait too long to talk...DD was 10 in 5th grade when her period began, thought I would ide...she was a trooper!)

Old 08-10-2008, 10:29 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,932,038 times
Your posts make me sad that I don't have a daughter. I wanted two boys, but I always knew there would be a little hole in my mommyhood without having a daughter to help guide through girlhood into womanhood. Good luck to you! They grow up fast, but if you are lucky enough, you can slow it down just enough to help her shape herself into a wonderful, beautiful woman!

Old 08-11-2008, 03:05 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,081,821 times
There is an ingredient in most deodorants which has been linked to cancer - aluminum chlorohydrate. A really good alternative to use, rather than the regular sort of deodorants, is the crystal body deodorant. It comes in spray or solid form. The spray is quite easy to use, the solid form you use right after you bathe or shower before you have dried off. I have used this product for years. I prefer the solid form because it lasts forever. My husband and I both use the same one, and have had our current one for three years!! It's good stuff.

Just thought I'd mention this, so she can get started off right.

Also - do you ladies know about the diva cup? If I had a daughter, I'd certainly get her started out - when that time comes - with glad rags (or a similar product) and when she is ready, the diva cup. I bought a diva cup for myself five years ago, and haven't bought pads or tampons since! It's wonderful. It takes a little practice learning how to use it correctly, but once you do it is really a wonderful way to go. Much better for the environment, saves you money and embarrassing trips to the store for feminine products, and it's healthier for your body, too. Many products for women contain harmful bleaches and toxic chemicals which over time can harm you and which also have been linked to different types of cancers. Also - no gross trash! I get totally grossed out when I think of all the years I threw away my old pads and tampons. Those things are not biodegradable, are they? That's really gross. The diva cup is a much better way to go about it... and glad rags or something similar if you need pads in addition to the diva cup, too. No waste.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:44 AM

788 posts, read 2,114,985 times
My oldest daughter is 13 and she looks like she's 17 - we're in trouble. Thank goodness she's a little immature and has no idea what effect she has. She got her eyebrows waxed (saved her own money!) a few weeks ago and I cried like a baby. I can't believe how fast she's growing and it makes me so sad. I completely understand how you feel! My "baby" is going to be six soon and she's going to look just like her older sister...I'm a mess!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 AM

657 posts, read 1,791,784 times
i had my 8 yr old cousin over this weekend and was surprised that she had some spice going on.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 AM

23,921 posts, read 33,756,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea13 View Post
Now I feel like crying because she's growing up too fast and she's too young to be starting these changes! DH thinks I'm crazy and just doesn't get why I think it's a big deal.

I feel really emotional about this. Not quite sure why. It's not like she's moving out or anything. Anyone else experience these feelings?

Dea
I can tell you that they are all growing up faster these days. I don't know why. My old neighbor had 4 girls, the oldest was about 6 at the time when I told her mom she might think to start preparing her for bras. I had such a hard time with my girl, she refused to wear one, hated it. To me, looking back, it would be so much easier to have started her on tank tops, then switch to a sports type bra. I saw my old neighbor a few weeks ago, her daughter at 8 needs & wears a bra.

Why are you so emotional? She's still a baby mom. Think back to when you were 8, we didn't need bras or deodorant. Times are different and you need to suck it up and start teaching her. Hopefully, the sooner you do it, the more comfortable she will be talking to you about this stuff.

Quote:
So, I've been smelling an unusual odor for a while after my daughter comes in from playing but choose to ignore it. Finally DH makes note of it and tells her she needs to start wearing deodorant. I also noticed a lot of blond hairs on her legs.
Go to Walmart and look in the deodorant section, they have all sorts of products for young girls. I would pick a few up, then teach her how to use it. Being a mom isn't easy and before you know it she will be 15. Where does the time go?

Good luck & don't let her see you cry. lol

Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 AM

542 posts, read 1,687,672 times
Quote:

Dea
Oh great...my daughter is this age...I think I might cry now lol

Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,531,740 times
Quote:

Dea
You're getting emotional b/c your little girl is growing up.

There is nothing wrong with that; in fact, it is very healthy & normal.

The best thing you can do for her to slowly start giving her the tools she needs to be strong, confident, compassionate, and polite young child & into a teenager. Ain't always going to be so easy, but from about now until she's smack dab in the throws of teenage world, you are her role model, no matter how angry or annoyed she gets with you.

In today's world, everything is sooner. She will see & do things at a much younger age.

Good luck. Give her lots of hugs right now before she doesn't want any contact with you

And take her to the store & make it fun buying deodorant. To not embarass her, have her pick out some other things like toothpaste, a new toothbrush, hair clips, etc. Make it a special time. May sound trite, but these are the things she will remember you doing for her.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:38 PM

438 posts, read 1,733,792 times
Thanks everyone! My daughter is excited about wearing deodorant. I doubt she'll remember every day but at least we can start making it part of the morning routine. I did end up getting a look of horror from my DH when I mentioned ages for girls starting menstrual cycles LOL! Serves him right for downplaying how I was feeling.

My daughter and I have started having little talks about odors and hair growing before this even started. I haven't discussed menstrual cycles and will probably hold off for a bit on that yet. We're going tonight to pick out a deodorant. I'm going to see if we can find some travel sizes so she can try a few to see which she will like better. I like to let her make her own decisions whenever possible. Makes her feel like a 'big girl' and lets me pick my battles!

Time goes so quickly. Sometimes I look at her and she still seems like a baby and other times I can really see how much she's growing up. It sounds so cliche but they really do grow up too quickly.

Dea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting