Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,080,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree that by 18 months the bottle should be long gone, as well as pacifiers, which should be gone by 6 months, tops.
I personally am opposed to sippy cups, too, because they just delay the child's learning how to drink from a regular cup. Once in awhile they're Ok if you're away from the house and want to use it for neatness.
My kids had formula or water only in a bottle, and every other kind of drink was from a cup. Babies are EAGER to learn new things, like feeding themselves and drinking from a cup and going potty, if parents are alert to the window when it presents itself. If you miss these windows, that's when you have trouble with transitions.
Babies have sucking instincts that disappear and wain at different ages, depending upon the baby. Why is it a problem to let the baby have a pacifier longer than 6 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,652,334 times
since 18 month olds have pretty good coordination with their hands, i would suggest the tupperware-type sippy cup(no handles) I would just involve the child by showing him that baby bottle being thrown in the garbage. stress the big boy, big girl thing. if there is no bottle, they will drink. the only thing I might consider, is keeping a bottle possibly for bedtime feeding. However, my kids were breast-fed and only had an occasional bottle and when they did have a bottle, they never held it, they were fed by us holding the bottle. so switching to a sippy cup went really well for us.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,187,175 times
throw out the bottles and you'll have a barrle of fun!!

well, NOT for a little while. Make sure he gets plenty to eat and when he gets thristy enough he will drink. I don't believe there has ever been a child to croak because they couldn't have their bottle.
IMO milk or water or diluted fruit juices in the sippies. Oh please don't use sodas or kool iad or sugar laedn drinks!

Good luck, it is hard, but patience will pay off!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 PM

909 posts, read 3,365,273 times
We've had a lot more success in our house with straw cups. You can get the Take n Toss straw cups from The First Years at Target. Very cheap and easy to use. For on the go I put water into Playtex straw cups. They hold more, and have a sliding lid that covers the (very soft) straw. And they don't leak

Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,080,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
throw out the bottles and you'll have a barrle of fun!!

well, NOT for a little while. Make sure he gets plenty to eat and when he gets thristy enough he will drink. I don't believe there has ever been a child to croak because they couldn't have their bottle.
IMO milk or water or diluted fruit juices in the sippies. Oh please don't use sodas or kool iad or sugar laedn drinks!

Good luck, it is hard, but patience will pay off!
Wow. I find it cruel to show the kid getting his "security blanket"/aka bottle thrown out before his very eyes. He WILL stop the bottle, its just a matter of time.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,272,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadozer View Post
My son is 18 months old. He eats well on his own but REFUSES a cup. I've tried for many months now and the only thing we wants to do is play with it, which i let him in hopes he will one day drink from it. He will only drink out of a bottle. I have a cabinet full of sippies that he will not use, i've even tried the ones that are similar to bottles! any suggestions???
We pretty much just cut our kids off cold turkey from the bottle at 1 yr. We threw the bottles away. The logic is that they will eventually need to drink...either they use the sippy or they get nothing.

There are some sippy's that have a soft...nipple-like spout. Maybe this would be a better transition?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Babies have sucking instincts that disappear and wain at different ages, depending upon the baby. Why is it a problem to let the baby have a pacifier longer than 6 months?
I agree here. Some kids like to have them for much longer.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:16 PM

909 posts, read 3,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I agree here. Some kids like to have them for much longer.
I agree. My second daughter started sucking her thumb around 3 months, and is now almost 14 months. I thought it was totally normal. She soothes herself to sleep that way. I don't really have plans to stop it until about 3-4. Then we'll see. What I've heard is that most kids will stop sucking on their own, or with just a wee bit of encouragement.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
I agree. My second daughter started sucking her thumb around 3 months, and is now almost 14 months. I thought it was totally normal. She soothes herself to sleep that way. I don't really have plans to stop it until about 3-4. Then we'll see. What I've heard is that most kids will stop sucking on their own, or with just a wee bit of encouragement.
My wife is 29.95 years old....and she can be caught sucking her thumb or finger every now and then...

My wife's first daughter could not live without a binky from the until she was 3 possibly 3 1/2 (?) Not only would she not live without it but she would have one in her mouth, one in each hand, and one in each pocket of her pants. I'm not kidding. When my wife tried to get rid of them she started rounding them all up and throwing them away. Just when she thought she had tossed the last one here she would come out of her bedroom with one in her mouth. She also had a stash at her daycare.

Our middle child wouldn't take a binky from day one....she absolutely would not do it.

Our youngest likes his binky but I think he will be able to live without it. He has never sucked on his thumb and I don't see him starting.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 PM

107 posts, read 307,659 times
you all have some great suggestions, i really appreciate them all. i guess i'm just a sucker for my lil guy and give in too easily. besides he is so stubborn (like his father so i guess tomorow may be a little rough as he will get a cup, no bottle with his breakfast. wish me luck, and thanks again for all the great advice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting