Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 03:48 AM

546 posts, read 2,207,970 times

Advertisements

my son is 4, besides preschool, do you know any good Math perhaps afterschool class or any type of course available in Utah or a chain store that provides classes througout the US? charged by hour or monthly is fine.

and any piano lessons for a 4 year old. thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:04 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,015,744 times
My son was fascinated by math when he was that age. Since he was already involved with pre-school and some other enrichment-type things, we just bought up tons of math workbooks and math computer games and played with him. He adore working with these materials. One added bonus is it gave us some valuable time together to do an activity. We had so much fun! It helped with his reading, too.

By the time he started kindergarten, he was already quite comfortable with numbers concepts (positive and negative -- really!), counting (forward and backward), grouping and basic arithmetic.

Any bookstore should have a good variety of math workbooks. Look in Wal-Mart, Target, toystores and other places as well. Good luck and have fun working with your little mathlete!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:36 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,526,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
my son is 4, besides preschool, do you know any good Math perhaps afterschool class or any type of course available in Utah or a chain store that provides classes througout the US? charged by hour or monthly is fine.

and any piano lessons for a 4 year old. thanks for your input.
As the above poster stated, you can go to any big box store & find math workbooks for prek3,4, kinder, etc. You can also google "teacher stores" or something to that effect & put in the area you live & see what turns up.

As a former middle school teacher, I found that most times the simplest approach works the best.

As for piano, depends on your area. Look in the phone book, google & start interviewing or going to the piano lesson center.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:47 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,015,744 times
One point I need to make clear. We followed HIS lead. When he wanted to work on math books or computer games, we did. And when he was done, we were done. He was never forced to "finish" a book or activity. He did it until he was ready to move on.

Often, when we went shopping, he was the one to pick out the books. Heh he had a much better memory for which books he had and which he didn't. He loved browsing in the books section of any store.

We also played verbal and mental math games whenever he was in the mood. Math was fun, learning was fun and I think that's why he enjoyed it so much.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:07 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,627,289 times
You don't say what your goal is with math for a 4 yr old.

In my experience, for most 4 yr olds there isn't really a need for a formal math class, whether they are behind or advanced.

As a parent, you simply can use daily interactions to help them in the progression of math.
If you'd care to share where your child is currently then perhaps I, or others here, can offer up some suggestions to further them along.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:54 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,834,676 times
Perhaps you can google for homeschooling materials?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting