Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Why are you assuming that a pro-vax ped's opinion is any less valid then your own?
1. S/he is wrong about cpx always being a mild disease. See post #88. My two kids got cpx back to back shortly before the vaccine was avaiable. Both were pretty sick; the younger one especially, who we've since learned gets very sick from just about everything she gets. If you haven't seen/experienced a severe case of chickenpox, you might think it's always a mild disease, but it's not.

2. S/he is wrong about the cause of shingles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
1. S/he is wrong about cpx always being a mild disease. See post #88. My two kids got cpx back to back shortly before the vaccine was avaiable. Both were pretty sick; the younger one especially, who we've since learned gets very sick from just about everything she gets. If you haven't seen/experienced a severe case of chickenpox, you might think it's always a mild disease, but it's not.

2. S/he is wrong about the cause of shingles.
1. She said, relatively mild. That's different then saying all cases are mild.
2. This is a valid theory that I believe has been studied or is being studied currently.Chickenpox, chickenpox vaccination, and shingles

Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
You cannot say unequivocally that chickenpox is a relatively mild disease. My kids were born in the pre-vaccine era, and I saw everything along the spectrum from so mild the child resisted being isolated until the pox all crusted over to faily sick among my kids and their cohorts. It has been long known that chickenpox can cause complications, and, in rare cases, death.

The link was interesting. It seems the British authors have the same concerns that some US health care providers did when the vaccine was introduced. Some have not come to pass, e.g. more chickenpox in older people (for whom it is generally more severe). One way to deal with that is to immunize adults with no history of chickenpox disease. There is no age cut-off for this vaccine.

There is a shingles vaccine that was licensed in the US the same year as this article was written, which could deal with the shingles problem of one generation.

I found it interesting that in the UK, pediatricians have a lower rate of shingles, but not teachers. You would think it would be the opposite, as here in the US we do not encourage parents to bring their kids to the dr (unless they want a definitive diagnosis), yet kids are contagious with chickenpox before they break out, so teachers got exposed a lot prior to the vaccine.

Two interesting points from the article:

Vaccine strains are, as far as we know, less likely to reactivate to cause shingles.

and,

The United Kingdom is waiting to see what happens in countries where vaccination is routine.

This seems to represent the British approach to health care. The US is not the only country, BTW, that immunizes against chickenpox. The vaccine was in use in Japan for about 10 years prior to its licensure in the US.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstersmom View Post
When I was about ten (thirty years ago) my neighbor had chicken pox and the neighborhood moms sent us all over her house to play. We got chicken pox soon after. I never thought anything about it until now since we all made it through OK. Back then the moms were old school. There were no seatbelts or bicycle helmets, etc. Nowadays everything makes parents afraid.
I had it in the early 60's and can still remember the utter misery I felt. Just the smell of calamine lotion brings back horrendous memories. Moms back then (at least in my neighborhood) did everything possible to keep their kids from getting it. Chicken pox = quarantine.

And a case of the mumps in the family (very common back then) sent a lot of dads to the local motel for a few days.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Okay, spill it moms of suburbia....

I recently came across a shocking phenomena taking place behind subdivisions and gated communities across the U.S. Apparantly, in light of the recent suspected link between autism and vaccines, some parents are refusing to vaccinate their children. Instead, they're having these 'parties' in which they purposely expose their kids to common childhood diseases (chicken pox being the main one) so that they can naturally build an immunity to it rather than have them vaccinated (which they believe will cause more harm in the long run).

As I understand it, someone will get a call from a parent whose child has the disease. They, in turn, will invite several other families over for what can only be described as one big play date. Kids share sippy cups, lollipops and will basically do everything you're normally NOT supposed to do when you're around a highly contagious individual. Within a short time, those group of kids fall ill, parents are happy, and hopefully, the kids are now (in a sense) naturally vaccinated.

Before this thread gets moved to the health board, I want to explain that I purposely posted this in the 'parents' forum just to understand the pros and cons of the issue. Has anyone heard of these parties? Want to confess if you've been to one? Is this considered abuse? What do you think??

Sounds VERY sadistic to me! I thought that's what elementary school was for. I'm guessing the kiddie pool is filled with the bath stuff used to help cure chicken pox...

Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Chicken Pox Party? That sounds hideious! Horrible! Get your child vaccinated. I had chicken pox and it was awful. Who would want their child to have a disease that can be erradicated with a vaccine? How about a Polio party? Or a TB party? Crazy!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I had it in the early 60's and can still remember the utter misery I felt. Just the smell of calamine lotion brings back horrendous memories. Moms back then (at least in my neighborhood) did everything possible to keep their kids from getting it. Chicken pox = quarantine.

And a case of the mumps in the family (very common back then) sent a lot of dads to the local motel for a few days.

I had it in the early 70's when my brothers were babies and my grandparents took care of me so my brothers wouldn't get it. I wasn't allowed to be around my friends.

Then when I got the mumps I remember everyone asking if my Dad had, had the mumps. I for the life of me cannot fathom why any parent would expose their child to any disease on purpose.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I for the life of me cannot fathom why any parent would expose their child to any disease on purpose.
Because they're too young to know and remember how awful these horrid diseases were? It's insanity to me. I can remember my parents being utterly FEARFUL that we'd catch the very diseases parent refuse to vaccinate against today.

I had the measels (again) in high school because (if I recall correctly) I hadn't had the "correct" vaccination - or it wasn't available - when I was a child. Awful. Had I been pregnant... well... it's just to awful to think about. People now don't KNOW what it used to be like. That's all I can guess.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Why do they still use it in africa , could it be that they really don't care as long as theres money to be made
OPV can be administered by anyone, not just health care providers, and during the currect outbreaks in Africa it was necessary to vaccinate large numbers of children quickly. OPV is the only vaccine that prevents the spread of the "Wild Polio Virus" found in Nigeria.

http://www.polioeradication.org/content/factsheets/PolioWestAfricaFactSheetMay2009FINAL.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Your guess is wrong, some of us HAVE experienced first hand the hell of getting through a desease, or worse, helping someone else get over a desease....That don't mean wer're going to run out and get vaccinated for every desease out there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting