Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2024, 09:43 PM

7,245 posts, read 3,776,807 times

Advertisements

It didn't even occur to me when our daughter was born in 2001, but now I think I would have used glass bottles and all natural rubber nipples. Try to avoid microplastics exposure for as long as possible. There's not much you can do from a practical POV to delay microplastic exposure from the air, but I kind of think it's worth it to try to delay microplastic ingestion. Who knows what the long-term consequences are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 02:37 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Nope. Those bottles and nipples are BPA and Phthalate-free. You'll get harmful microplastic exposure from the milk (human or cow) itself--or from formula, but not from the container.

The harmful microplastics are circulating in the environment are from non-food-grade plastics that have been partially broken down and entered the food chain. You are worrying about the wrong thing.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:38 PM

129 posts, read 169,945 times
The glass bottles we bought worked better than any other. I think every parent goes through a series of bottles before finding one they love. Surprisingly I dropped them a few times on the tile floor with no shatter. Glass is easier to keep sanitized as well.

Old 01-06-2024, 11:00 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
My DIL used only glass bottles, containers and washable diapers when her three kids were born.
Even now they prefer glass and have very little plastic at home.

Nowadays, babies are exposed to microplastics before they're even born. Microplastics were detected in 75% of breast milk too.
And while is almost impossible to prevent children from ingesting plastic, there are ways that parents can reduce the amount of plastic that their children are exposed to.
Most toys they lick and bite are made of plastic, the cheap plastic from China....

Old 01-06-2024, 11:15 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Nope. Those bottles and nipples are BPA and Phthalate-free.You'll get harmful microplastic exposure from the milk (human or cow) itself--or from formula, but not from the container.

The harmful microplastics are circulating in the environment are from non-food-grade plastics that have been partially broken down and entered the food chain. You are worrying about the wrong thing.
Wrong.

Products made of plastic create microplastics. As plastic waste, like wrappers, packaging and straws, continues to accumulate in the environment, it breaks down to smaller and smaller pieces.
It doesn't matter if they are BPA and Phthalate-free, food grade or non-food grade plastic.
Any plastic gets broken down to microplastics, that includes fabrics made of nylon, acrylic, polyamid and polyester too, and all other plastic materials - during production, use and after they are discarded.

A good example are "less obvious" products like acrylic paint, gum, tires, toothpaste, disposable diapers and feminine products, polymers in cosmetics, personal care products, glitters, even nail polish.

Last edited by elnina; 01-06-2024 at 11:35 PM..

Old 01-07-2024, 07:13 AM

797 posts, read 238,291 times
I used both glass and plastic baby bottles back in the day.

Glass, for the early stages, but once my kids grew older and got more active (walking, etc), I moved to plastic.

No risk of my kids falling and cutting themselves on broken glass, etc.

Old 01-09-2024, 01:16 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
No, I used the holder with the collapsible bag inside to limit the amount of air my baby swallowed. A colicky baby is no fun.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:19 AM

276 posts, read 987,317 times
It occurred to me but I was more afraid of breaking the glass and shards being around.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:02 PM

422 posts, read 265,189 times
I exclusively breastfed. We also did very few plastic toys when they were little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting