Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2023, 06:23 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times

Advertisements

Is it just me thinking it's odd to give a small child unfettered internet access?

How your child’s online mistake can ruin your digital life
When Jennifer Watkins got a message from YouTube saying her channel was being shut down, she wasn’t initially worried. She didn’t use YouTube, after all.
Her 7-year-old twin sons, though, used a Samsung tablet logged into her Google account to watch content for children and to make YouTube videos of themselves doing silly dances. Few of the videos had more than five views. But the video that got Watkins in trouble, which one son made, was different.
“Apparently it was a video of his bottom,” said Watkins, who has never seen it. “He’d been dared by a classmate to do a nudie video.”
Google-owned YouTube has artificial intelligence-powered systems that review the hundreds of hours of video that are uploaded to the service every minute. The scanning process can sometimes go awry and tar innocent individuals as child abusers.
https://www.ekathimerini.com/nytimes...-digitalllife/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 11:13 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
It's chilling to think about the number of mistakes a person can make in the cyberworld. And current sentiment in the field of child abuse seems to be "guilty until proven innocent." I'm glad that supervising children through their internet exploration was not on my duty list when they were little. It must become nearly impossible.

Just being accused of it, even though never convicted, is enough to create a tarnish that is difficult to erase. We had a local case of a coach who used his work phone to take a picture of his two little boys in the bathtub. It happened during the Ohio State athletic sexual abuse scandal.

I couldn't believe the amount of hostile social media and inuendo that family was subject to. He was eventually retained in his job but I can imagine the whole family was feeling anxious to move on.

Reminded me of how we also took pictures of our toddlers playing in the bathtub back in the day and very grateful that twisted minds at the developer's shop didn't turn that into a "see something, say something" occasion.

The line for being misunderstood is very thin these days of "sexual freedom."

Old 12-05-2023, 11:43 AM

16,310 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I have seen worse things happen...I feel more sorry for people who are arrested for an OUI or something and it's on the internet forever....or a domestic argument where someone calls the cops and there is it online...

I saw something recently where a coach was yelling at a kids sports game and now it's gone viral in the community. Reputations are constantly ruined by this need to film everything.

I think a kid filming a picture of their butt should be punishinhable by the parent but the parent shouldn't be in trouble with the law over it. Come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting