Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 09:32 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Um. You would try to teach a 7 yr. old child empathy by not showing any yourself? Would you spank a child for aggressive behavior because of a brain tumor?
??? no. If someone is repeatedly hurting animals perhaps they need a slap on the ass at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2023, 09:39 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
??? no. If someone is repeatedly hurting animals perhaps they need a slap on the ass at the very least.

IMO, physically hurting a child is not the right way to teach a child anything about physically hurting an animal. And… you are not going to beat empathy into them. Ofc discipline & talk to them…but IMO, you have to get a child psychiatrist involved too.

Old 04-21-2023, 01:47 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Yesterday, I came across this story about an "influencer" who admitted to killing two cats when she was a child:

https://nypost.com/2023/04/19/emma-c...ts-as-a-child/

It's very disturbing to hear of kids who think nothing about abusing and killing helpless animals.

Old 04-21-2023, 02:12 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Sickening. Whether the spank helps or not I'd say they still deserve it for being so nasty.

Old 04-21-2023, 02:35 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yesterday, I came across this story about an "influencer" who admitted to killing two cats when she was a child:

https://nypost.com/2023/04/19/emma-c...ts-as-a-child/

It's very disturbing to hear of kids who think nothing about abusing and killing helpless animals.
If they learn to use a magnifying glass with the sun to burn bugs in the yard doesn't mean the next step is killing animals. Not for the kids I knew.
To some kids at that age, maybe there's little difference in killing a mouse, rat/hamster or cat. They're all furry and have two eyes and 4 legs. If they're slicing them up or doing slow death blood letting with an alter and what not, that's a disturbing sign.
I won't step on a snail, caterpillar or any bug if I see it. The other day, I avoided a squirrel crossing the road with a timely swerve. high five for that.

Old 04-21-2023, 02:49 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialBeeSarah View Post
I think this belongs in the parenting section and would like to share this recent encounter. The girl's parents are family friends and there was a reunion recently. Everything was normal until I accidentally saw the little girl doing something disturbing. Apparently she had caught some lizards in a bigger container with holes, all of them about 6-7 inches and had a lizard on each hand. She took turns gluing them on a night lamp lightbulb, was humming, had a smirk and was silently giggling as they were jerking wildly.
As soon as she noticed me, she stopped immediately, her face turned serious and tried giving excuses. I wasn't buying it and got worried. She briefly explained how it was only a brief experiment to see how they move around if they get burn a bit for 3 seconds. So basically she was done it for giggles and curiosity. I've notified the parents about it and they will supervise her closely.

I've heard it's always alarming whenever a kid of reasonable age (not a toddler anymore) hurts any animal for no reason and giggles. We were all that girl's age once but that can't be a normal curiosity. I'm still disturbed by it. That's alarming right?
Farmers do things like that all the time with their animals, except for profit maximization rather than entertainment. Are you vegetarian? If not, why does one bother you and not the other?

Old 04-21-2023, 02:53 PM

840 posts, read 774,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Chances are she'd do it to a kitten if she had the opportunity. I wouldn't leave her alone with any animals or other little kids.

This girl may have been introduced to this behavior & attitude through someone in her personal or public life . . . or quite possibly through the watching of some of the horrible videos & TV programs that exist these days. Hopefully it isn't coming from herself, alone, and she can be helped. Just watching her is not going to help her. She NEEDS Very Specialized therapy.

I would make out a report & email/send it to:

U.S. Fish & Wildlife:
How to report wildlife crime . . .
https://www.fws.gov/story/how-report-wildlife-crime

I would also seriously consider sending it to the local:
Child Welfare, Police, & Animal Control . . .
for each to have on file for future reference . . . 'just in case'.

Old 04-21-2023, 03:31 PM

50,798 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Farmers do things like that all the time with their animals, except for profit maximization rather than entertainment. Are you vegetarian? If not, why does one bother you and not the other?
Farmers don't torture animals for fun. That's what this girl was doing.

Old 04-21-2023, 03:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialBeeSarah View Post
I think this belongs in the parenting section and would like to share this recent encounter. The girl's parents are family friends and there was a reunion recently. Everything was normal until I accidentally saw the little girl doing something disturbing. Apparently she had caught some lizards in a bigger container with holes, all of them about 6-7 inches and had a lizard on each hand. She took turns gluing them on a night lamp lightbulb, was humming, had a smirk and was silently giggling as they were jerking wildly.
As soon as she noticed me, she stopped immediately, her face turned serious and tried giving excuses. I wasn't buying it and got worried. She briefly explained how it was only a brief experiment to see how they move around if they get burn a bit for 3 seconds. So basically she was done it for giggles and curiosity. I've notified the parents about it and they will supervise her closely.

I've heard it's always alarming whenever a kid of reasonable age (not a toddler anymore) hurts any animal for no reason and giggles. We were all that girl's age once but that can't be a normal curiosity. I'm still disturbed by it. That's alarming right?
Did you watch her taking turns gluing the lizards or did you stop her as soon as you saw what she was doing? What happened to the lizards? Did you clean the glue off them?

I was watching a young girl at my house after she got home from school. Her mom was a teacher. She was an only child, about 10 years old, very intelligent. I used to let her sit on one of my old horses while he grazed on the fresh grass near the house. I was surprised that she showed no emotion when I had to put the horse down. I thought she would be as upset as I was. Then I noticed that she would spend a long time in the bathroom. After she went home, I went into the bathroom and found a fly death because she put liquid soap on it. She must have been watching it suffer. I was very happy when that family moved.

I am working at a supermarket and it upsets me to see the lobsters in the tanks. For some reason, I never gave it a thought what was really happening to them until I worked there. They are put in those tanks and starved until they are almost dead. If no one buys them, as they stop moving and give up on life, they are then steamed. I witnessed one of them trying to take the band off one of its claws, so they do understand what is happening to them. I try to avoid walking near them because I am helpless to do anything. But I look at all the people walking passed them and wish they would email the corporation and try to stop this inhumane treatment of nature's beloved creatures. I'm not saying we should ban eating lobsters, but we can be humane about it. We don't have to starve them or steam them alive. it isn't necessary. I have written to PETA but they are useless.

To read that a child is torturing lizards or even an insect, is something the parents should be very concerned about and get help for her. She lacks an emotion that she should have. I wonder if she sees her parents setting traps to kill rodents and thinks that life is expendable. I have a strong feeling that the parents have fueled this problem.

Old 04-21-2023, 04:00 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
That is not fair. In my previous post, I mentioned how upset I am about the live lobsters being starved to death at stores, but I will still eat a baked clam. People change. I used to eat clams on the have shell but would never do it anymore. I wouldn't eat a steak anymore but once in a blue moon will eat a hamburger. I would rather eat a veggie burger but sometimes I just want to go through McDonalds and grab something and move on. I don't have to go as extreme as a vegetarian but 99% of what goes in my mouth didn't have a face. 99% is much better than not caring at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting