Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 02:54 PM

2,666 posts, read 3,864,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So it’s ok if the parent wants to drive drunk?
Or if the parent slaps the kid really hard across the face?
Or wants to have sex with the kid?
All those are parental choices—you ok with them?

Your kidding right??

What if the parent doesn't feed the child the FDA recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables, exposes kid to second hand smoke or lets them view media that some "do gooder" might think is inappropriate? Where do you stop?

Where do these super nannies come from?

The cowards on here with the anonymous reporting recommendation should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-18-2022 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-18-2022, 03:12 PM

179 posts, read 304,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You don’t like car seats? You must be for child sex rings then!

Seems reasonable.
Quite ironic coming from a former NYPD boomer…

Old 12-18-2022, 03:22 PM

179 posts, read 304,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Your kidding right??

What if the parent doesn't feed the child the FDA recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables, exposes kid to second hand smoke or lets them view media that some "do gooder" might think is inappropriate? Where do you stop?

The cowards on here with the anonymous reporting recommendation should be ashamed of themselves.
Ok - I’ll stake out the dad’s house and if I find he’s feeding his child 4-6 servings of fresh vegetables, I’ll forget I saw he drives his boys without a car seat in his POS car…but only if they also put their napkins on their lap.

Old 12-18-2022, 04:27 PM

19,062 posts, read 13,992,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Quite ironic coming from a former NYPD boomer…
My parents aren’t even boomers. Lol

Also where’s the irony? Both parts of your post are just overused (and rarely appropriate) tropes.

There’s literally a poster here who jumped to child sex because someone was against reporting this. Do you need me to quote the post?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-19-2022, 04:23 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,532,996 times
I think this is a tricky problem and I am not sure what I would do.

I find car seats inconvenient as I am a grandparent and have had to acquire several for use once a week or so. When the kids were little the seats, by law, had to be tethered.

However, last year our death toll from road accidents in our state was the lowest in 98 years. Up to today, this year’s is 275. I clearly remember more than 1,000 would be killed every year when I was first driving. So these and all the other measures play a part.

Perhaps I would alert the staff who might send out a general warning.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:41 AM

22,271 posts, read 19,263,570 times
two thoughts come to mind:
1. the child may be old enough or heavy enough or tall enough or large enough not to need car seat any more (only required up to a certain height or weight)
2. the car seat may be small and not visible. when our toddlers were older, their car seat was small and just went around their waist. it was also the same color as the upholstery of the car, so not "visible" at a glance looking in.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Was reading article in NYTimes yesterday about all the people who avoid traffic fines and tolls (breaking the law) by defacing their license plates in some manner—bending them, adding tape to letters/numbers, using colored plastic, and another else they can think of…
It costs the city’s various agencies hundred of millions of dollars in uncollected fees, but also in the inability to ticket the owner for breaking the law…

One of the interesting facts in the story was that MANY of the offending people are law officers and other city employees—cars with damaged licenses can often be found in greater numbers around police stations and municipal buildings…one policeman was fined $17000 for delinquent tickets/tolls

And there is a new movement of people who are stopping by these illegal license plates to make them legal—bend them back straight, remove the tape or leaves or other things blocking a proper reading…
Some of them get accosted or even physically abused but they are trying to bring legal responsibility to those who are breaking the law…

And those drivers aren’t risking a 3 yr old’s life—just stealing millions from other taxpayers who DO abide by the law…

Old 12-19-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
two thoughts come to mind:
1. the child may be old enough or heavy enough or tall enough or large enough not to need car seat any more (only required up to a certain height or weight)
2. the car seat may be small and not visible. when our toddlers were older, their car seat was small and just went around their waist. it was also the same color as the upholstery of the car, so not "visible" at a glance looking in.
Children that young are NEVER supposed to be in the front seat—12 is usually the age used for front seat rider

Old 12-19-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Your kidding right??

No
I just meant there is a sliding scale for when others might intervene in certain family situations
Teachers and doctors are certainly held LEGALLY liable if they believe there are abused children in a home
THEY are legally required to contact authorities because they are in positions to see children in more intimate circumstances

You have to believe that the mother knows that father has no car seat
SHE becomes legally liable if there is an accident and the child is hurt

Old 12-19-2022, 09:42 AM

36,579 posts, read 30,915,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So it’s ok if the parent wants to drive drunk?
Or if the parent slaps the kid really hard across the face?
Or wants to have sex with the kid?
All those are parental choices—you ok with them?
LOL. Little dramatic dont you think.
I'm another who never saw a car seat growing up and we had "the mom" seat belt. Car seats weren't used when my kids were little either, nor was it illegal to ride a bicycle without a helmet under the age of 16.
But I dont know any kid nor was I ever exposed to a drunk driving parent, child abuse, or sexual abuse when I was a toddler either. I think those things have always been illegal.
Now kids have to ride in a car seat or booster seat until they are 8 years old or 4'9" tall and you have folks who want to call the cops on you if there not.

Just seems kind of over the top to some of us who grew up and raised our kids with no car seats or even seat belt use as the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting