Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 08:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,051,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's true that she raised two children to adulthood. I am not saying she would have killed the baby, and I know I was a little uptight as a new parent. Still, I think that grandparents should have the grace not to brush off current advice or the specific requests of their grandchildren's parents because "We didn't do that, and our kids were fine."
But a lot of information has changed because many babies weren't fine, they died. Some were just lucky that their babies survived into adulthood. It had nothing to do with their parenting skills.

Everytime we visit my MIL she complains about how restricting car seats are and how they should still be optional... Great that her children all survived without a car seat and were just fine "rolling around in the backseat" as she says, but there's a reason for today's car seat laws. She can complain about car seats all she wants to me, but my baby will be rear facing until at least 2 for his own safety.

She also thinks leaving a baby to nap on an adult bed is perfectly safe... I'm sure plenty of babies are fine taking such naps, just not a risk I'm wanting to take. Plenty have died rolling off beds or from positional asphyxiation...

And that's just two examples of outdated information she's talked about... I could go on and on about the things she says that are no longer recommended as safe.

The examples in the article might sound silly to some posters, but there are definitely grandparents that are following outdated advice that can be dangerous, if not deadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 08:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,051,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Rubbish

So called "outdated" life lessons passed down from generation to generation is what made this country the greatest in human history.
To imply otherwise flies in the face of logic, reasoning, and is a clear indication of trying to diminish (if not destroy) our past. Then all is left is to convince future generations our constitutional republic was horrible, and that we must, as Obama said, "fundamentally change America".

For all those emotional types, ask yourself this.
If the guy you are hoping is going to propose to you (because he supposedly loves you, as he claimed to try and get you hand in marriage) said, " I want to marry you, to then fundamentally change who you are as a person", would you still agree to marry him?

If not, then why not?
Did you comment on the wrong post? I can't figure out what any of this has to do with the linked article.

Sorry, but not wanting a dead baby isn't destroying America's past.

I don't even know what you're trying to say with your example. Following the latest research isn't going to "fundamentally" changing anyone. When you know better, you do better.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:29 PM

15,547 posts, read 10,539,245 times
I can't really relate to that article, seems like a bunch of bs. I care for my grandson while my daughter works. I know his teachers, his school nurse, his dentist, his doctors and so on. Maybe my daughter and I have a similar lifestyle too, whatever that is. There may be one or two different discipline techniques, but I just follow her rules since being uniform is important. That article makes grandparents out to be complete dumbasses, how embarrassing, lol.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:48 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,485,534 times
I guess one obvious remedy is to stop expecting grandparents to babysit. Kids stay out of harms way and grands get their freedom back!

Old 11-22-2022, 06:44 AM

36,655 posts, read 30,967,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But a lot of information has changed because many babies weren't fine, they died. Some were just lucky that their babies survived into adulthood. It had nothing to do with their parenting skills.

Everytime we visit my MIL she complains about how restricting car seats are and how they should still be optional... Great that her children all survived without a car seat and were just fine "rolling around in the backseat" as she says, but there's a reason for today's car seat laws. She can complain about car seats all she wants to me, but my baby will be rear facing until at least 2 for his own safety.

She also thinks leaving a baby to nap on an adult bed is perfectly safe... I'm sure plenty of babies are fine taking such naps, just not a risk I'm wanting to take. Plenty have died rolling off beds or from positional asphyxiation...

And that's just two examples of outdated information she's talked about... I could go on and on about the things she says that are no longer recommended as safe.

The examples in the article might sound silly to some posters, but there are definitely grandparents that are following outdated advice that can be dangerous, if not deadly.
Are those the causes of death for infants in years past?
Some of the infant mortality statistics are interesting.
The rate is much higher in the African American community and among uneducated mothers.
I also read although the IMR has greatly decreased over the past decades between 1989 and 2016 infant mortality from unintentional injuries increased by 62% while death from pneumonia and influenza fell.

Sudden infant death syndrome, the 4th leading cause of infant death in 2019, became the 3rd leading cause in 2020, while unintentional injuries, the 3rd leading cause in 2019, became the 4th leading cause in 2020.
Looking at 1950-1991 it seems the leading causes of infant death pneumonia, influenza, respiratory distress, prematurity, low birth weight, congenital anomalies and finally accidents/injuries.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:46 AM

36,655 posts, read 30,967,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I guess one obvious remedy is to stop expecting grandparents to babysit. Kids stay out of harms way and grands get their freedom back!
Yup, and usually for free. Go hire a nanny.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:47 AM

12,882 posts, read 9,112,118 times
Don't worry. When today's parents become grandparents themselves, they'll be told that all the expert advice they followed is out of date and the best thing is to put babies to sleep on their heads or something. So much "expert" medical advice has come full circle since my kids were born that is seems to change with each new generation.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:40 AM

14,377 posts, read 11,774,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I can't really relate to that article, seems like a bunch of bs. I care for my grandson while my daughter works. I know his teachers, his school nurse, his dentist, his doctors and so on. Maybe my daughter and I have a similar lifestyle too, whatever that is. There may be one or two different discipline techniques, but I just follow her rules since being uniform is important. That article makes grandparents out to be complete dumbasses, how embarrassing, lol.
Good for you. This is why your situation works out. Believe me, there are many grandparents who aren't like you.

My mother-in-law and I would have had zero problems if she had been willing to follow my rules with the grandbabies. But since her attitude was "I raised two kids, and they're fine, and I want to do things my way with this baby," we had no end of conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Agreed. I've heard from other parents that improper use of carseats has been an issue with grandparents.

But since you mention a baby sleeping on the bed, we have friends who lost a baby this way at about five months. It was not their first child, it was the fifth. The mother didn't "believe in" cribs and the babies always slept in the bed with them or on the bed for a nap. This one time, the child squirmed off the bed, fell down between the mattress and a dresser, and suffocated. It was a horrible tragedy and entirely preventable. "We've always done it this way and it's always been fine"...until it isn't.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:02 AM

8,885 posts, read 4,604,758 times
lol - my grandson just turned 30, and I'm pretty sure he puts whiskey on his gums all by himself...

Old 11-22-2022, 09:17 AM

5,690 posts, read 3,188,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Rubbish

So called "outdated" life lessons passed down from generation to generation is what made this country the greatest in human history.
To imply otherwise flies in the face of logic, reasoning, and is a clear indication of trying to diminish (if not destroy) our past. Then all is left is to convince future generations our constitutional republic was horrible, and that we must, as Obama said, "fundamentally change America".

For all those emotional types, ask yourself this.
If the guy you are hoping is going to propose to you (because he supposedly loves you, as he claimed to try and get you hand in marriage) said, " I want to marry you, to then fundamentally change who you are as a person", would you still agree to marry him?

If not, then why not?
This isn't the politics forum. Can you stay on topic please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting