Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 10:35 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just saw something so horrifying I have to post here and ask parents this question. Sorry I don't have a link
to show you. It was a YouTube video where a toucan had its' upper beak broken off by a gang of teenagers somewhere in South America? I had to stop the video, as even the thought was torturing.

Found this: https://www.earthtouchnews.com/disco...0with%20sticks.

The good news was that the toucan had been rescued by 2/3-D printer people. The group that rescued the parrot made the bird a new beak so it could live and function.

Here comes the question, after a brief explanation of who I am.

My wife and I married 44 yrs. ago. We opted out of kids. Reading a story like this only strengthens our belief that kids are more trouble than they are worth. I don't even know how I would react if I had a child who had hurt another living thing.

I know that most of you will respond with things like "it depends on how you raise your kids."

You could be right. But what about the parents we see today who let their kids run amuck? Do you think this is genetic or bad parenting,. or a combination of both?

What would you do in this instance? What if your teenage daughter or son bullied another animal/child? Would you take responsibility?

Are you glad you had kids?

Last edited by TerraDown; 11-04-2022 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 11:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I'm glad we had kids (3) but more glad we had them in the 1980s. Ours have turned out great, in fact we have two grandkids, and two of the 3 have bought houses. There is a combination of factors that have resulted in harder times to raise teens today. I'll give you a few of those I have observed.

-More of the parents both working to make ends meet, less supervision of teens after school.
-More gaming, with a lot of violence being made normal and even admired.
-Social Media, used to impress friends and others, sometimes motivating bad behavior
-Less interest in cars/driving, getting their license at age 16 no longer provides the same level of motivation to behave

As for attacking innocent animals, that is nothing new. I remember kids doing that when I was a teen in the 1960s. Fortunately it's not real common, because it's been found that kids doing that are more likely to turn into serial killers later on. It could be the result of poor parenting, lack of morality, a mental health issue that affects their judgment or just being a bad person.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:32 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
My wife and I married 44 yrs. ago. We opted out of kids. Reading a story like this only strengthens our belief that kids are more trouble than they are worth. I don't even know how I would react if I had a child who had hurt another living thing.
If this behavior was as common among teenagers as you seem to imagine, you wouldn't have to search it out in a click-bait article from an obscure site reporting news from another continent.

Last edited by zentropa; 11-04-2022 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-04-2022, 11:41 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I find the question bizarre, as if this is a common scenario amongst teenagers. It's not.

Some people, of all ages, seem to have no moral compass, but it has ALWAYS been this way. You may as well ask 'help me understand parents", as though all parents raise such monsters.

Generally the type of people who would take responsibility for the actions of their kids are not the ones raising such kids.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:58 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I find the question bizarre, as if this is a common scenario amongst teenagers. It's not.

Some people, of all ages, seem to have no moral compass, but it has ALWAYS been this way. You may as well ask 'help me understand parents", as though all parents raise such monsters.

Generally the type of people who would take responsibility for the actions of their kids are not the ones raising such kids.
"Help me understand school shooters!!! Thank goodness hubby and me decided not to birth out a school shooter of our own!"

Old 11-04-2022, 12:12 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Why don't you try imagining what your own parents would say if you asked them why they decided to have kids and whether you were worth it? And how they managed to raise you not to be an animal torturer or a school shooter? Then you have your answers.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
I'm pretty grateful that I have two amazing daughters who are neither school shooters nor animal torturers. And IMHO it really wasn't that hard.

So if you didn't want kids, you didn't want kids. You don't have to justify it to anyone with a weird news item or post on an online forum.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:56 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Understand teenagers? Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

People are a combination of genetics and raising and sometimes birth defects. Good upbringing usually results in kids that turn out to be decent adults, but sometimes a person is born with defective wiring. It's a birth defect or a disease, and they are not going to be normal decent humans, no matter how they have been raised.

But, generalization, if a parent puts the time and effort in and pays attention to how the child is doing in life, the kid will turn out fine. By far the majority of children are decent little human beings.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:17 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Hemlock, thank you. I met my wife in 1979, I do think an era also has something to do with it. I'm glad all of your children have been blessings to you. We need more of them in this world. What we were seeing made us decide not, glad you saw the opposite.

Zentropa, I didn't "search this out," it just gave me a reaction and perhaps you're right. It might have been clickbait, but it scared my pants off. I think the entire world would like to understand why people shoot a group of other people, sorry if the question offends you.

DubbleT, I don't think the continent decides the question, it would most likely happen anywhere.

You saying:
"Generally the type of people who would take responsibility for the actions of their kids are not the ones raising such kids."
has me even more in question...

Saibot, another hard question. That's all I was asking. It's not a truth or dare, just an ask an opinion. Thank you. I think parents must be pretty brave to dive into that pool.

Stagemomma, yeah. It was mostly selfish reasons we didn't want kids. I think parents have to dedicate a lot of their lives to raising kids. You may be right.

I appreciate each and every post. I only want to try and understand. We are old farts by now. Sometimes I miss not having kids, which I can now never do...maybe the article triggered the part of me which is trying to self-gratify, I don't know. But I'm not so old that I can't still ask other peoples thoughts and opinions. That part of me I hope doesn't ever go away.

Last edited by TerraDown; 11-04-2022 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-04-2022, 01:30 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Oh, God, that's terrible!

But maybe just what it takes is for someone to step in. Once when I was in the park, 3 youths were interacting with one of our turtles and I said, "Leave the turtle alone, please.". And they did. Now, admittedly, with the way I dress, I probably come across as a Ranger or something (and other than being a witness, a little lost if they refuse to comply), but perhaps that is all it takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting