Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 01:11 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Ok I get it- college isn't for everyone.

I was raised to believe that you can gain a lot of knowledge whether its at a 4 year, 2 year school, that its a time from growing one's mind. My parents installed in me that you should go to college-- even if you don't want to work in an office and rather use your hands. To this day I still agree.

When you have kids you begin to realize nothing is ever as you plan...lol. My son is 19 and really does not like school. I wish he appreciated learning on an educational sense but really doesn't like it. He wants to be a pilot-- hereditary from my wife's family (its in my FIL's blood). Its his passion. He started college last fall at a university in another state-- and didn't do well. He doesn't like to learn or read, unless its about piloting. Which is fine but you still need at least an AA degree to be a pilot at the commercial level. I'm trying not to worry about it but I just find it frustrating that he's not really interested in college. I'd be fine with the military as well, but he hasn't shown much interest there either.

I know one day he will be a pilot, its his dream and passion. I just wish he had more interest in learning in general. Am I a bad parent? Any thoughts?
You are not a bad parent.

Your son is different from you.

You are different people. I mean, really let that sink in. You’ve mentioned before about your wife’s family being really into aviation and you sound a teensy bit resentful or maybe a bit left out over that.

However, a great parent makes it about the child and not about themselves.

I went on through my doctoral program. It was all I could do to convince my son to go for his AS degree. My husband is an engineer and was an athlete. Our son is completely creative. Our son cares about basically one thing—film and photography (but mostly film). Anything to do with camerawork, basically. It’s his passion. He doesn’t really care about anything else.

Now he’s in film school…which some people might say is a complete waste of money…learning more than he thought possible, making contacts, working freelance, and charging (and getting) hundreds of dollars to make 20 and 30 second videos. He works long hours and has a lot of ambition. I have no idea where his career will end up, but I know his work ethic and his ability.

I’m not trying to make this about me. I’m just trying to tell you that my 19 year old is exactly like yours.

For someone who has a passion and a talent, I truly believe there is no stopping them. The sky is the limit, no pun intended.

My advice is to bring your son home from college at the end of the semester. Do not send him back in the fall. It’s a waste of time and money. Look for an aviation program as others have suggested.

Your son is not lazy. He knows what he wants to do and everything else is noise. Help him figure out how to make his dream happen.

ETA: my husband’s cousin always wanted to be a pilot. His parents wouldn’t agree. He got a business degree and sold insurance for years, all the while paying for his own lessons. He now is a contracted pilot on a private jet. It took him 20 years to get there.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 04-11-2022 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 01:16 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
For those that are familiar with military pilot training, aside from the college degree, what areas should the candidate be highly adept in? For instance, do they need a lot of math and science or would an English degree suffice?

Old 04-12-2022, 11:21 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
why do you have to have a college degree (let alone a 4 year one) to be a pilot? I legitimately don't understand that and that isn't a knock against pilots. IMO, experience trumps everything, and I think vocational (coupled with being around experienced pilots in a lesser role) would do.
Define "Pilot." From what I understand airline pilots are the best compensated pilots out there. They fly the biggest planes, and carry hundreds of people. That's why a college degree was largely a prerequisite.

Someone can correct me but as I understand it, Airline pilots>Regional Pilots>Business/Corporate Pilot>Agricultural Pilot...

Old 04-14-2022, 09:25 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:

I was raised to believe that you can gain a lot of knowledge whether its at a 4 year, 2 year school, that its a time from growing one's mind. My parents installed in me that you should go to college-- even if you don't want to work in an office and rather use your hands. To this day I still agree.

When you have kids you begin to realize nothing is ever as you plan...lol. My son is 19 and really does not like school. I wish he appreciated learning on an educational sense but really doesn't like it. He wants to be a pilot-- hereditary from my wife's family (its in my FIL's blood). Its his passion. He started college last fall at a university in another state-- and didn't do well. He doesn't like to learn or read, unless its about piloting. Which is fine but you still need at least an AA degree to be a pilot at the commercial level. I'm trying not to worry about it but I just find it frustrating that he's not really interested in college. I'd be fine with the military as well, but he hasn't shown much interest there either.

I know one day he will be a pilot, its his dream and passion. I just wish he had more interest in learning in general. Am I a bad parent? Any thoughts?

Are you going to come back to your thread about your son wanting to be a pilot but not go to college? I see you've logged in, maybe you forgot? Also post in the aviation section, they could probably tell you his best options.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:56 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Define "Pilot." From what I understand airline pilots are the best compensated pilots out there. They fly the biggest planes, and carry hundreds of people. That's why a college degree was largely a prerequisite.

Someone can correct me but as I understand it, Airline pilots>Regional Pilots>Business/Corporate Pilot>Agricultural Pilot...

You forgot cargo and charter pilot. A lot of pilots love to fly for FedEx and UPS. You still get to see the world but you're not hauling around disruptive passengers.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:01 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
You forgot cargo and charter pilot. A lot of pilots love to fly for FedEx and UPS. You still get to see the world but you're not hauling around disruptive passengers.

"Boxes don't b*tch", as the saying goes.

Old 04-17-2022, 11:37 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
For those that are familiar with military pilot training, aside from the college degree, what areas should the candidate be highly adept in? For instance, do they need a lot of math and science or would an English degree suffice?
In the college Air Force ROTC program there are all undergraduate majors. Piloting a plane is sort of like driving a big rig truck. It's basically on the job training, reflexes, physical attributes (sight, hearing, ability to withstand g-forces), judgement and motivation. The major or previous experience doesn't matter.

Old 04-17-2022, 11:42 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Glad to hear your son is doing well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You are not a bad parent.

Your son is different from you.

You are different people. I mean, really let that sink in. You’ve mentioned before about your wife’s family being really into aviation and you sound a teensy bit resentful or maybe a bit left out over that.

However, a great parent makes it about the child and not about themselves.

I went on through my doctoral program. It was all I could do to convince my son to go for his AS degree. My husband is an engineer and was an athlete. Our son is completely creative. Our son cares about basically one thing—film and photography (but mostly film). Anything to do with camerawork, basically. It’s his passion. He doesn’t really care about anything else.

Now he’s in film school…which some people might say is a complete waste of money…learning more than he thought possible, making contacts, working freelance, and charging (and getting) hundreds of dollars to make 20 and 30 second videos. He works long hours and has a lot of ambition. I have no idea where his career will end up, but I know his work ethic and his ability.

I’m not trying to make this about me. I’m just trying to tell you that my 19 year old is exactly like yours.

For someone who has a passion and a talent, I truly believe there is no stopping them. The sky is the limit, no pun intended.

My advice is to bring your son home from college at the end of the semester. Do not send him back in the fall. It’s a waste of time and money. Look for an aviation program as others have suggested.

Your son is not lazy. He knows what he wants to do and everything else is noise. Help him figure out how to make his dream happen.

ETA: my husband’s cousin always wanted to be a pilot. His parents wouldn’t agree. He got a business degree and sold insurance for years, all the while paying for his own lessons. He now is a contracted pilot on a private jet. It took him 20 years to get there.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:44 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Glad to hear your son is doing well.
Thank you.

It’s sometimes difficult for parents to calm down when their child is taking a non-traditional career path.

I hope the OP updates us.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:

I hope yr son does become a pilot but the reality is just bc it is someones dream & passion, doesnt mean will work out for them. The workplace is competitive. There is always someone better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting