Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:29 PM

72 posts, read 440,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
You talk a good game but you don't have kids...and based on what you've just said at the begining of the post maybe you shouldn't have any. If you aren't prepared to deal with everything they can throw at you then you should just go on with life without kids. As someone once told me, "6 Billion miricles is enough for me" (meaning: There are enough people in the world without me bringing more into it)

Why are you trolling the parents forum when you have no kids yourself?

I'm not trolling. And it's a PARENTING forum, not PARENTS forum. I don't see any restrictions where you have to have children to post here. I'm just offering advice & people can take it or leave it, but believe it or not, I really am trying to contribute to the forum & help offer some genuine advice & suggestions. I just seem to think a little differently than the majority of the people on here, and that's okay! Also, I do have dealings with children- used to babysit quite frequently, when I was younger & a lot of my family/friends have children that I'm around on a regular basis, so I DO have experience with children, being around them for prolonged periods of time & being responsible for them. I have also taught English to middle & highschool students, so I have that perspective as well (a teacher).

And why are you telling me what I should & shouldn't do?.. lol I'm not offended or anything, but I'm also not the one asking for advice. Besides, I've already stated that I'm not sure if I want any kids or not & that choice has nothing to do with what the kids could "throw" me. I just don't like the idea of being tied down like that & from what I see at supermarkets, restaurants & etc, parents are always angry/upset/irritated/etc, because of their kids. I don't wanna be miserable, or more importantly, I don't wanna make OTHERS miserable. But, regardless if I do have kids or not (I'm only 24, mind you), it's my choice, not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,813,317 times
ACONITUM: For what it's worth, I think you are very wise to "hang around" the Parenting forum. My son is your age, and he has very mixed feelings about ever having a family. I tell him that he is very wise to give it a lot of thought and that I feel it is quite normal to be unsure about having children at his age. He has a lot of life to explore b/f settling down to a family.

One of the best ways to determine whether or not you are cut out to be a parent - and whether or not you even want to take on that lifetime responsibility - is to be around other young families . . . and to read and discuss parenting issues w/ other people.

I think it is great you are interested in reading the posts here. And you are entitled to your opinion. After all - the title of this thread is "Inconsiderate Parents" and any of us can have an opinion on that topic. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Anyway, that is MY opinion, LOL!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,774,191 times
Babysitting or teaching is not being a parent. Kids know how to push our buttons. They are actually quite good at. You should see my 3yo acting like she can't get herself dress if I want to go somewhere. Now say the word park and she is the best self-dresser.
There are 2 kinds of tantrums. Frustration tantrums when a child can't express what they want or need. This are part of the terrible two's and just have to run their course. I want my way tantrums are the ones that need to be handled with discipline so they stop. I actually remember seeing in a Dr. Phil show a grown woman throwing tantrums. Amazing.
Believe it or not we parents don't enjoy having to take our children everywhere with us but we have to. It is our commitment to them. I myself would settle with being able to go to the bathroom alone. Oh what I wouldn't give for a nice long quiet shower.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,813,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Babysitting or teaching is not being a parent. Kids know how to push our buttons. They are actually quite good at. You should see my 3yo acting like she can't get herself dress if I want to go somewhere. Now say the word park and she is the best self-dresser.
There are 2 kinds of tantrums. Frustration tantrums when a child can't express what they want or need. This are part of the terrible two's and just have to run their course. I want my way tantrums are the ones that need to be handled with discipline so they stop. I actually remember seeing in a Dr. Phil show a grown woman throwing tantrums. Amazing.
Believe it or not we parents don't enjoy having to take our children everywhere with us but we have to. It is our commitment to them. I myself would settle with being able to go to the bathroom alone. Oh what I wouldn't give for a nice long quiet shower.
Hang in there, Suzie . . . you will eventually get that long shower, LOL!!! I was baffled when I was a new mom w/ a toddler who could crawl out of the crib . . . couldn't figure out how I could take a shower and my child be safe. Luckily, I had a wonderful neighbor (more experienced mom) and she said - put him in his stroller, strap him in, roll him into the bathroom and keep the shower curtain part of the way open so you can sing and talk to him while you are showering. I would never have thought of this on my own!!! So every morning, we made a game of it . . .

Funny, I remember that but I honestly do not remember the day I finally got to take my first L O N G shower!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:33 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,774,419 times
Yep...I can relate. I took my son to his football game last night.
There was 3 rather loud, mouthy Mothers yelling at their kids whom was on the other team. I realize its nice to give encouragement, but gee whiz women, try to have a little consideration for the other people sitting around you. And for Heaven`s sake, take control of the little ones running around, screaming, running under other peoples feet!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,873,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconitum View Post
That is irritating, too... I think stores & supermarkets should have those boxes that shut off cell phone signals while you're inside the store.
I'm thinking of buying one of those magic boxes! I don't care if it is $500.00 I will pay it and USE it on every rude bugger I encounter. I can't wait until I see the look on their face as they are de-phoned in mid sentence.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:19 AM

72 posts, read 440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ACONITUM: For what it's worth, I think you are very wise to "hang around" the Parenting forum. My son is your age, and he has very mixed feelings about ever having a family. I tell him that he is very wise to give it a lot of thought and that I feel it is quite normal to be unsure about having children at his age. He has a lot of life to explore b/f settling down to a family.

One of the best ways to determine whether or not you are cut out to be a parent - and whether or not you even want to take on that lifetime responsibility - is to be around other young families . . . and to read and discuss parenting issues w/ other people.

I think it is great you are interested in reading the posts here. And you are entitled to your opinion. After all - the title of this thread is "Inconsiderate Parents" and any of us can have an opinion on that topic. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Anyway, that is MY opinion, LOL!!!
Thank you!! I appreciate the support! lol That's partly why I am hanging around here, so I can see what parents do & stuff.. Cause I have to hang around kids all the time (cousins/friends babies/etc) And of course I like to offer some advice or bring things to light that folks might not think of & vice versa.. If people don't like what my opinion is or whatever, then that's okay. lol If they explained why they disagree or told me their opinion or how they handle situations & why, rather than getting on to me, then I'd probably be like "ohhh I see, thank you!" lol But I am here to learn & be of service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post

awww lol you poor girl. you sound like a good mom, though. I agree, teaching & babysitting isn't being a parent, but it is something. i've had to "babysit" kids for 12-14 hours 5 days a week... it was like being a mom, except i got to sleep at night. LOL i had the luxury of changing tons of stinky, poopy diapers, washing baby clothes, buying baby clothes, giving babies baths, etc.. lol i've also gotten the opportunity to argue with 15 year old kids about politics... lol (boy those kids were smart!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
I'm thinking of buying one of those magic boxes! I don't care if it is $500.00 I will pay it and USE it on every rude bugger I encounter. I can't wait until I see the look on their face as they are de-phoned in mid sentence.
ROFL that's so funny!

i used to watch tech TV a lot.. they had an episode about how to boost the signal of your ipod.. they took the ipod apart & showed you how to do it.. they said with a good antenna, you could change the music in people's cars with the ipod, because of the frequencies or something (it's been a while).... i was thinking about getting some polka music from itunes & doing that to those kids that bump that rap stuff really loud.. you know the kind that if you pull up next to them, your windows rattle from the bass?... lol.. i imagined just pulling up beside them, smiling like , whipping out my ipod & seeing what happened when they realized they were bumping polka music for all to hear.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,821,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I hear what you are saying . . . and agree with you . . . but the root of this is that A. a parent should not bring a child to an event when he/she is too young to behave and B. a parent should leave the room if necessary, should they have a rowdy child in tow. Doesn't matter WHY the child is rowdy.

This is common sense. Do not put your child into a situation where he/she will fail!
When my son was about two, DH and I decided to go to a mall a bit of a distance from our house. After the 45 minute ride, we got into the mall, set my son up in the stroller, with bottle, toys, cheerios, etc., and started to stroll. Well, within 10 minutes, my son started acting up. We both looked at each other, and laughing, we headed for the exit. It was obvious it was not going to be a good day. So we went home. It was quite a while before we brought him to a mall again. I or DH went by ourselves until we felt the baby could handle it.

People often remarked on how well behaved my two children were (particularly in school). I credit that with the fact that DH and I never put them into situations where they could not control themselves. I think that's just part of good parenting. And, it was no sacrifice because we wanted to have kids. Came with the territory.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:49 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,821,898 times
Quote:
And why are you telling me what I should & shouldn't do?.. lol I'm not offended or anything, but I'm also not the one asking for advice. Besides, I've already stated that I'm not sure if I want any kids or not & that choice has nothing to do with what the kids could "throw" me. I just don't like the idea of being tied down like that & from what I see at supermarkets, restaurants & etc, parents are always angry/upset/irritated/etc, because of their kids. I don't wanna be miserable, or more importantly, I don't wanna make OTHERS miserable. But, regardless if I do have kids or not (I'm only 24, mind you), it's my choice, not yours.
You're the type of person who should have kids, because you're not going into it with rose colored glasses. Too many women (especially single, young women) have babies "just because." The idea of motherhood is not the sweet little bundle you bring home from the hosptial. It's 2 AM screamings, calls from the school, visits to the emergency room, report cards that convince you that you gave birth to the village idiot, money, money, money, surly teens, and frantic phone calls at midnight. Parenthood is not for sissies. But the rewards for those who really wanted it are tremendous.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,307,413 times
Quote:
I'm not trolling. And it's a PARENTING forum, not PARENTS forum. I don't see any restrictions where you have to have children to post here. I'm just offering advice & people can take it or leave it, but believe it or not, I really am trying to contribute to the forum & help offer some genuine advice & suggestions. I just seem to think a little differently than the majority of the people on here, and that's okay! Also, I do have dealings with children- used to babysit quite frequently, when I was younger & a lot of my family/friends have children that I'm around on a regular basis, so I DO have experience with children, being around them for prolonged periods of time & being responsible for them. I have also taught English to middle & highschool students, so I have that perspective as well (a teacher).

I know you. You're the type who thinks you can observe a situation and say to yourself, "Oh no no no. They're doing it all wrong. If it were me I'd do this and it would be so much better than they could ever do." You could do no better yourself. You think you can because you've been paid to do it. You're a trained expert, no? My mother was a teacher for 30 years. One thing she learned is that babysitting and teaching are a long way away from actually being a parent. You get your check and you go home at the end of the shift. Being a parent means never clocking out. It also means that if the situation gets too tough you can't call in the real parents. (ie Child has rotavirus and can't stop sh-ing, child breaks arm, Child bleeding profusely from head, Child has to go to ER, etc etc)

You percieve that parents are always upset/angry/irritated/etc but that's what parenthood is all about my dear. There is no salary for being a parent and it's the toughest job you will ever do. But it's worth it in the end for me. The payoffs are when they get potty trained, graduate, get their drivers licenses, get married, have their own kids, etc. Those are the moments when you can feel happy as a parent. The rest of the time it's stressful, hard, messy work. Ever heard the phrase "If you like politics and sausage don't watch either being made"? Parenting is much the same way. There are some things you'd just assume not have to see happen and it can sour your opinion but the end result is often well worth the mess.

You can read all the parenting books you want. They're worthless. I read a few before my wife and I started having kids. The so-called experts know nothing about my kids. There isn't always a manual you can consult for every situation that occurs. And not everybody has the perfect solution for a problem because they've been through it before. It may have worked for them but it doesn't necessarily mean it will work for me. Reference: The Biting Child thread. Some suggested that the solution was to bite the biter's arm to show them how it hurt. For one it worked and they never bit anyone ever again. For another it just made them bite more often and worse.

BTW: You are the one who suggested that you didn't want kids. I mearly suggested that your idea was possibly a good one for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting