Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you text message with your teenager?
Yes. it's a good way to keep in touch 47 53.41%
No. I'd rather "talk" to my child 10 11.36%
sometimes 25 28.41%
other - will leave it in comment 6 6.82%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,226,181 times

Advertisements

I have a 19 yr. old son and 15 yr. old daughter and we do text each other back and forth at times. Sometimes it can get frustrating and I'll just call them back (if it is something long to say) or I'll text them saying "just call me". But if it is simple stuff, sure we text back and forth.

A benefit to the text messaging which I found, and is actually how it all began for my kids and myself is that especially with teenagers, when they are out with friends they don't necessarily want to be embarresed by the whole "gotta call mom and let her know where I am or where I am going....". So I would tell my kids, just text me when you get there or when you know where you are going or what time the movie lets out, or whatever, that way your friends don't need to know you are checking in with mom. You could be texting a friend for all they know. It was a nice compromise between keeping me informed and respecting their need to feel a little independent in front of their friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 AM

859 posts, read 2,149,109 times
Why text? We can just call lol...... sorry much easer to talk on the phone then to get my fingers to text.

If they feel its not cool to call me or answer the Phone when I call, good they can stay home No big deal ! ha!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 PM

170 posts, read 581,764 times
I put other. We opted to have texting blocked because we didn't want her texting during class when she is supposed to be learning! When she gets her own plan it is up to her. She is graduating HS this June.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtail_Honey View Post
I put other. We opted to have texting blocked because we didn't want her texting during class when she is supposed to be learning! When she gets her own plan it is up to her. She is graduating HS this June.
My son's school has a strict policy of cell phones are to be locked in their lockers and not allowed to be used during school hours. If caught it's an automatic 3 days & parents have to come in and puck up their cell phones.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:30 PM

170 posts, read 581,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
My son's school has a strict policy of cell phones are to be locked in their lockers and not allowed to be used during school hours. If caught it's an automatic 3 days & parents have to come in and puck up their cell phones.
Yes, ours does too but kids will still be kids and try to get away with something they know their not supposed to do!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:56 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtail_Honey View Post
Yes, ours does too but kids will still be kids and try to get away with something they know their not supposed to do!
I'm sorry. I didn't think I'd be subject to assuming I know your area as I do my own. By your first comment, I can see you're as strong a parent as I am, but on "lessons learned" if their school can reiteterate what's a "no no" ... chances are, they'll listen to the school more. Just an observation on my part.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
I occasionally text with my son. I'm not terribly quick with it and I don't like the "short cut" language - so I spell everything out. But it does come in handy sometimes.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:05 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,118 times
I just upgraded to unlimited texting last month. My kids text me from school about rides home and such. Some teachers allow texting, some don't. None allow phone calls other than lunch time.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
yes and it p's me off the the little devil can type so fast on a telephone grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 05-13-2008, 02:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
No, I don't text my kids. Neither of them have a cell phone I have "the only 13 year old in the world without a cell phone". She does use my phone to call or text friends but that means it is not during school hours if she is w/ me and using my phone. So her friends text me. LOL!!!

Her school is also pretty strict and it is usually the PARENTS calling the kids while they are IN SCHOOL that gets the kids in trouble. Their phones are supposed to be in their lockers turned off for the day. If found on them and on they are taken up and the parents have to claim them. If my daughter needs to get ahold of me she can call during home room and if I need to send a note about a ride home or whatever I just call the school and they send a note to her. The way it has been done for decades and decades. She even told one friend that got in trouble at school when the mom called that if I called her and she answered she KNOWS she would be in more trouble at home than she would be at school.

I don't have a problem w/ the kids saying to their friends they need to "check in" with their parents. I'd bet some of them also have to and if they knew firsthand that the others did as well it would not be as uncomfortable for them in the first place. Otherwise you hear the "nobody else" or "everyone gets too" arguments. I love a kid that can be honest with their friends and say they need to call their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting