Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,560,948 times

Advertisements

If there were such a thing as reincarnation, I'd like the clods who do the advertising for Tyson Chicken's new stick-in-the-oven meals to come back as teachers. The ad starts with some ditzy-sounding mom who says "I'm always the last one to pick up my kid from band practice..." As if that's acceptable behavior for selfish parents nowadays that have no problem with using teachers and band directors as free babysitters. Yeah, like the teacher has nothing better to do than hang around with your child while you selfishly flit about town running errands. If I were Education Czar, I'd make school districts charge the "Curriculum Rate" for each hour or any part thereof, which would be payable directly to the teacher inconvenienced. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,174,117 times
gotta argue with ya Crew Chief......Advertising MIRRORS bad parenting....PARENTS cause bad parenting....... but the rest of the post....I'm all for.....maybe even $50 per hour starting with one minute over.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,560,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
gotta argue with ya Crew Chief......Advertising MIRRORS bad parenting....PARENTS cause bad parenting....... but the rest of the post....I'm all for.....maybe even $50 per hour starting with one minute over.
You might be right, but I still believe that advertising and other popular culture can influence behavior (at least I'm guessing the advertiser hopes that it does...)

Old 05-09-2008, 05:08 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,437,926 times
I think advertisers are imported from another planet. Haven't you noticed that everyone always lives in these giant, 18-room houses? So, of course they're going to think it's ha ha funny that mom is always late picking up little Imogene. Daycares charge parents a lot of money for being late - payable to the person who had to wait with your child. Don't see why school teachers shouldn't get that, too. My goodness, they've got 15 hours of grading papers to do before eating dinner and going to bed. Chop, chop, teachers!

Old 05-11-2008, 05:48 PM

396 posts, read 1,036,406 times
Marketing is just a person looking to make a buck. The parents have to be intelliegent and resilient.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,251,333 times
Actually, children's programming is the source of bad parenting, or doesn't make it easier.

Ever watch the Disney Channel? The kids are always smarting off to their parents. Oh, sure, they come around to their parents' way of thinking at the end of the program. But, in between, they argue and sass. So the kid watches that and thinks that's how he's supposed to talk to his parents.

I've found that when my kids get too uncooperative or talk back, the television goes off. It's amazing how quickly their behavior improves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting