Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times

Advertisements

oaky I am due in june with our 2nd busy boy, I will be brest feeding for the most part. What I need to know is if you can buy glass baby bottles, I am asking this because of an article my Mom read about platic ones recantly. Any info will help, thank you Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 06:18 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
Are there concerns with the plastic liners for the playtex bottles as well or is it just the plastic bottles themselves? If those liners aren't an issue than I would say go with the Playtex and the inserts.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 AM

43 posts, read 181,925 times
yes, you can buy glass. The only ones I have seen are made by a company called Born Free. Here is a bit of info:

No BPA
Made from pure natural glass, Born Free's Vented Glass Baby Bottle is free of Bisphenol-A (BPA). This chemical compound is used to create polycarbonate plastic - a hard clear plastic used widely in consumer products including food and beverage containers.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 AM

159 posts, read 517,384 times
My children thrived after drinking from Playtex. You will be fine with whatever decision. And I breast fed each one till 15 months, good for you and the baby.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 AM

582 posts, read 2,009,721 times
There are a lot of glass bottles out there now. I think Dr. Browns makes them as well as Born Free and a couple other places. You can find them on BabiesRUs.com.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:28 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
I did mostly glass with my first, who couldn't breastfeed, but that was 26 years ago!

My second nursed for a short time and we used playtex bottles with liners when we needed a bottle.
Same with my third and there were very little options of glass to be found, yet I didn't want glass anyway because by the time she could hold the bottle herself, she was also mobile and I didn't want to deal with the safety issue of broken glass.

My fourth nursed the longest and we used the bottles infrequently and he preferred the plastic Gerber ones.

The concerns in recent news about the plastic baby bottles are the same ones that came about not all that long ago regarding the bottles used in bottled water. The most current study is only a preliminary one and not fully supported by research to give full credence to in most experts opinion, from what I've heard and read. The issue at hand is whether or not enough of a certain chemical 'leeches' from the plastic to be absorbed by people to cause health issues.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times
Thank you to all that replied I will look into the glass and the playtex.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
I opted with BPA-free plastic:

Born Free
Adiri

We really like the Adiri. The Born Free are nice, too, but my twins prefer the nipple/feel of the Adiri.

I had briefly thought about glass but didn't really want to deal with the "breakable" aspect or weight.

I got my Adiri bottles at babygreenpea dot com. They have a lot of "green"/environmentally friendly products.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
If I had a baby right now, I'd try the Adiri BPA-free plastic noted above (I nursed my kids but I always did have a few bottles around for occasional use). I would personally not feel comfortable with glass because of the breakage factor-although I suppose this only applies if the baby is crawling/walking around with it. I think that's why they went to plastic bottles in the first place.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:11 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
If I had a baby right now, I'd try the Adiri BPA-free plastic noted above (I nursed my kids but I always did have a few bottles around for occasional use). I would personally not feel comfortable with glass because of the breakage factor-although I suppose this only applies if the baby is crawling/walking around with it. I think that's why they went to plastic bottles in the first place.
I've actually flipped & dropped the Born Free bottles (talented!) while feeding so not just baby concern for breakage.

A note about the Adiri - the nipples are shorter than the average nipple which is great for my babies and the body attached to the nipple is supple. Adiri is supposed to aid in reducing nipple confusion between breast/bottle-feeding.

The only thing I don't like is that it tends to leak a little from the bottom. But, I get less leakage at the nipple as they suckle because the latch between baby and the Adiri nipple is really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting