Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 04:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,638,312 times

Advertisements

Study: 95 Percent of All Baby Bottles on the Market Are Made With BPA

Despite more than two years of warnings about the possible dangers of the chemical bisphenol A (BPA), manufacturers continue to widely use it to make baby bottles, toys and beverage containers, and stores like Wal-Mart, Target, and Toys "R" Us continue to carry the products, according to a new study from the Center for Health Environment and Justice, a Virginia-based environmental activist organization.

ABC News: Wal-Mart, Target And Other Chains Continue to Sell Baby Bottles Made With Controversial Chemical BPA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 AM

932 posts, read 1,275,361 times
and to think of all the generations of folks who are still alive.

I lived, my brothers and sisters lived, my kids are still alive and kicking.

we must be medical marvels!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:43 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,421,569 times
I'm not sure blaming the stores is the solution. Why isn't the FDA coming down on these companies if it's so bad?

Old 02-11-2008, 03:05 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,942,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
and to think of all the generations of folks who are still alive.

I lived, my brothers and sisters lived, my kids are still alive and kicking.

we must be medical marvels!
I know exactly what you are saying, but lots of things were different when we were little (and I'm not that old yet LOL). Food was "real" and local and prepared at home without all kinds of additives and preservatives. Eating out was for special occasions. It just seems our environment and products are getting more and more toxic all the time. We were vaccinated, but with just a few spread out through childhood.

Your and your siblings most likely drank from glass bottles or were breastfed. You didn't have a constant barrage of chemicals coming at you from the diapers, the air, food additives, preservatives, medications during your mom's labor, artificial sweeteners, God knows what in medicines - both prescription and OTC, a bazillion vaccinations at a young age, etc. No wonder autism diagnoses are climbing - something has to trigger it in genetically predisposed children...

Old 02-11-2008, 06:00 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,909,578 times
Okay, pending investigation, if 95% of the bottles were pulled off the shelf, what is a viable substitute? How would non-breast feeding mothers feed their babies? Are there enough glass bottles around to replace the plastic one? Just curious...is there something different about this plastic that is not in the normal plastic container? I mean the normal Glad containers that we heat up our food in the microwave? Soda liters? Is it leaching there too?

Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,944,357 times
I'm a bit upset over the news today. I know this thread was started back in February (which is around the time I first heard of this) and now its resurfacing again. Canada has taken steps to remove the baby bottles from store shelves but the question remains will the U.S. follow. As the last person mentioned, its not just baby bottles to be concerned about. I believe they said it's all plastics with the recycling symbol "7". I'm "phasing" out all of my plastic storage containers and replacing them with glass. It's heavier, a bit more inconvenient but I'm still waiting to find out additional information about this BPA concern. In the meantime, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:40 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,129,727 times
There are quite a few companies making BPA-free bottles now. A lot of the info is at ZRecommends (broken link).

I use Born Free and Adiri bottles and am going to get a Think Baby to see how my babies like that one (it's a bit less expensive than the former 2).

I agree - we have a lot of chemically treated "everything" being thrown at us these days. If there's anything I can do to decrease the amount of chemicals my children are exposed to, I'll try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting