Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 12:58 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Forget about passing notes in study hall; some teens are now using their cell phones to flirt and send nude pictures of themselves.

The instant text, picture and video messages have become part of some teens' courtship behavior, police and school officials said.

FOXNews.com - Trading Nude Photos Via Mobile Phone Now Part of Teen Dating, Experts Say - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351171,00.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 04:21 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,173,251 times
This was reported on the local news and parents that are paying the bill for the kids cell phone can be charged with pandering obscenity and contributing to the delinquency of a minor even if the parents don't know the phone is being used in this way. Some law states that if the parent is paying the phone fee they are responsible for the content and how it is used. This was reported on a Cleveland news cast about 2 weeks ago.
I didn't see the whole thing so I don't know if this is local or state or what. But parents might want to check their kids phone if they are paying the bill because they can be charged with providing an instrument that is being used to send or store nude pictures of minors and according to this law the parents or guardian are responsible for what is on the phone if the phone contract was obtained by the parent.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,962 times
Isnt anyone willing to do the job of parenting their children anymore?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:21 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,211,226 times
How in the hell would the phone company know what pictures you are sending on your phones??? Are they spying on everyone? Thankfully I don't take nude pics of myself or women, now that I know I am being monitored.

My little bro is 15, he gets pics from the girls in his classes quite often, usually pretty tame, just **** in bad lighting. He shows me, and I laugh. I wish they had cell phone cameras back when I was in highschool.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Digital cameras too. I don't think kids realize how incredibly serious it it. I certainly didn't at 16. My boyfriend was 2 years older and at college and I took some suggestive photos. Now that I'm older and wiser, I'm *sure* these went around the frat house after we broke up, but I certainly didn't think about it then! Cell phone cameras only came around at the end of high school... and I wish I had it! Worse picture quality.

I wish someone had sat me down and said YOU WILL REGRET THIS DON'T DO IT. But what parent really thinks their kid is going to do something like that? Mine never would have imagined. Parents, use this article as a way to breach the subject with your teens. Even if you're absolutely sure they wouldn't do it- they're too smart, too innocent, too well raised. In my experience, it doesn't matter and many kids who are not having sex or doing anything sexual use pictures as an outlet.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Talk about Truth in Advertizing! Seems simpler than the WAG we had to make when I was in HS.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:40 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,929,681 times
My friend is a middle school teacher and he was just telling me his school has had 10 "incidences" with this already-7th and 8th grade girls sending pictures to boys they LIKE.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,134,332 times
This has been going on here too. And within a short time, everyone in school (so it would seem) has been sent the pics.

I am SURE that when I was in high school it would have been SOP had there been cell phones, though MY kid being a student there makes it shocking to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting