Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 01:18 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,312,238 times

Advertisements

If a group made plans to go to a certain restaurant, it shouldn’t change because of one kid doesn’t like it, as for the sharing of food I would never expect someone or ask someone to share their food with my child.

Teens has a choice to go or stay home. I had a very picky eater, but always managed to fine something she liked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,149,185 times
From what i been observing it is the way kids acts this day and parents try to be their friend and not their parents. I know when i was teenager, if i was told to ready by certain time, i was expected to be ready. I also was told if its mandatory attendance or i can go if I want. I would be left behind if i wasn't ready for optional get together and i would be punished if my parents had to be late for mandatory such with family.

If my parents were picking place to eat and there would be lots of teens, i would be asked if i had preference,otherwise i would be told where we are going and that would be it.

It's very unfortunate that kids this days do not know how to behave be it at fast food when they are young or when they are much older and go to real restaurant.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:54 PM

2,792 posts, read 1,648,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Then she tells me she won’t make it on time because her daughter wanted to sleep in.

We all decide on a restaurant but then have to change it if their kids decide to go and want to eat somewhere else.
This is my BIL and SIL and they seriously get on my nerves because of this s*** that they do. Let's say their children and my children planned to do this activity (doesn't matter what). The morning of this activity, which is Saturday morning, BIL calls us and says his children doesn't want to do that activity anymore. AT THE LAST MINUTE?????!!!!!!! Just because his children changed their minds at the last minute!!!!!!! And guess what. We have no choice but to acquiesce to them.

Then when we repeatedly ask BIL and SIL to show up to a family dinner (with his mom and his other siblings), they say no, they don't have time. But they conveniently have time to hang out with their children's best friend...every single weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have asked for a family dinner for WEEKS, and they said NO every single time. They do NOT get the hint to throw us a bone??????!!!! But their calendar is conveniently open and free for their own children's activities and best friend!!!!!!!

I am so sick of BIL and SIL.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:59 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,205,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
This is my BIL and SIL and they seriously get on my nerves because of this s*** that they do. Let's say their children and my children planned to do this activity (doesn't matter what). The morning of this activity, which is Saturday morning, BIL calls us and says his children doesn't want to do that activity anymore. AT THE LAST MINUTE?????!!!!!!! Just because his children changed their minds at the last minute!!!!!!! And guess what. We have no choice but to acquiesce to them.
Your kids are old enough to make plans themselves. I would be totally frustrated. But I think I would say to my kids, hey, they bail on plans all the time. You sure you want to do that?

Quote:
Then when we repeatedly ask BIL and SIL to show up to a family dinner (with his mom and his other siblings), they say no, they don't have time. But they conveniently have time to hang out with their children's best friend...every single weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have asked for a family dinner for WEEKS, and they said NO every single time. They do NOT get the hint to throw us a bone??????!!!! But their calendar is conveniently open and free for their own children's activities and best friend!!!!!!!

Wow. Bye, bye BIL and SIL.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:15 PM

14,974 posts, read 12,188,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I was just speculating. Just giving an example of why said teen had to be waited on. I still think the teen was trying to have a battle of wills, and didn't want to attend with parents.

IF the teen was an otherwise trustworthy person, than I too would've just left without said teen. But for some reason, parent(s) didn't seem to trust leaving the kid alone.
LOL, I've never met a teen yet that ever wanted to attend an event with his/her parents!

Old 07-22-2019, 03:28 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,047,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Your kids are old enough to make plans themselves. I would be totally frustrated. But I think I would say to my kids, hey, they bail on plans all the time. You sure you want to do that?

Wow. Bye, bye BIL and SIL.

Yeah. If it happened a couple of times, I'd definitely be putting them on the back burner.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
I'm a little confused. Let's say that the adults and their kids (the first cousins) were planning to go to the zoo, or the fair or a picnic in the park together. If the other children (your nieces/nephews) do not want to go why can't your family just do that activity and have your own fun. Why do you have to cancel your plans for a fun, child friendly activity, with your immediate family) if your niece/nephew tell their parents, last minute, that they do not want to go?

(If you wanted to do it, you could even post a bunch of fun pictures on FB or send cute pictures of everyone having a fabulous time to grandma & your other relatives).

Quote:

Why don't you just schedule a family dinner with all the siblings & mom and if BIL & SIL don't show up they will just miss the dinner. They will be the ones missing out on the family fun with the siblings & mom and their children's cousins.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:58 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,913,397 times
OP, as you asking the actual question in the title of the thread or asking for advice on the kids in your family?

Old 07-23-2019, 07:39 AM

922 posts, read 1,113,961 times
Children these days are a$$holes because parents are lazy and SCARED of their own kids. I work with small children and have seen a consistent decline in parenting skills, therefore causing children to be disrespectful, out-of-control and bratty.
I am the adult, the parent and children are lower on the totem pole, period. Circle of life, people, circle of life. You don't go to work everyday? You don't pay bills? Buy houses? Maintain every aspect of the family life? Then you haven't reached the status that I am at, sorry. A child's opinion is valued in our home but is not the deciding factor- unless my husband and I agree with it. Giving children the power of an adult is dangerous, stupid and irresponsible. Children are not mentally and/or emotionally ready to make decisions heavier than what flavor ice cream they want or how to multiply 4 by 8. If children were meant to make adult type of decisions, then humans would have been born with adult-like abilities right off.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:53 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
Or just among my friends. I don’t have kids but what I witness didn’t happen years ago. We had plans to meet our friends and their teenagers. Then she tells me she won’t make it on time because her daughter wanted to sleep in. When I was a teen, if I wasn’t ready, I want going.
You seem to take your friend at her word. How do you know it wasn't she who slept in? Or, how do you know that they were simply running late and she offlaid the blame on her kid?
Quote:
We all decide on a restaurant but then have to change it if their kids decide to go and want to eat somewhere else.

A friends 7 year old daughter asked me to share my food with her. Instead of my friend telling her daughter no you are getting your own food, she asked if I was ok sharing it.

We ordered appetizers for the adults and as soon as it is served, my friends 9 year old daughter puts her hand in it and takes some. They don’t say anything. Also let her kid constantly interrupt.

When I was a child I knew my place. Of course I tested things but I was reprimanded. I love kids and sometime regret not having them but it seems so different now.
Sounds like the kids are still learning table manners, but at the same time, rather presumptuous of you to assume the kid's can't have any appetizers. Actually considering you have children at the table, totally nuts, bound to have a problem if the adults start eating and the kids can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Yah you know, the world doesn't bend over when people are unhappy. There is no realm in which changing everyone's plans because of a pissy teen is a good plan.
She said a kid. Meaning an elementary schooler.

OP says "The Kids decide they want to go somewhere else..." but IME kids rarely have that level of cognizance of where they're eating beyond a Chick-Fil-A. Don't you think its a lot more likely that the parents decided "Not the best place for the kids, lets stave off problems before they occur, instead of going to the fancy breakfast joint we'll go to the Town Diner?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting