Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:22 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,480,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincylover4 View Post
But why would I cancel his bank account? Plenty of kids have bank accounts.
If he isn't using the $$ responsibly, you have a right to control what he does and if that involves closing it, so be it.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:25 PM

5,305 posts, read 5,285,001 times
Quote:
But why would I cancel his bank account? Plenty of kids have bank accounts.
You're the one saying you've lost control. His bank account is YOUR back account. If he's not acting responsibly, take it away. Take the car away, stop paying for his cell phone bill, stop paying his/your car insurance.

There has to be more going on here. You cant be this feeble.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
So to your logic acting like an adult means shooting people?
Cincy, your son is playing you like a fiddle, plain & simple.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:29 PM

29 posts, read 17,916 times
But really he is not that bad, he never gets in trouble at school, he doesn't do drugs or vape and is an all A student, my question was have you ever met a teen who acts like an adult

Old 05-17-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
But really he is not that bad, he never gets in trouble at school, he doesn't do drugs or vape and is an all A student, my question was have you ever met a teen who acts like an adult
No because most parents put their foot down & dont allow it to happen

Old 05-17-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
No because most parents put their foot down & dont allow it to happen
But would you rather your 15 year old smoke pot or act 30? I've met parents who would rather their kid do illegal activities but why they do baffles me.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:45 PM

5,305 posts, read 5,285,001 times
You are making no sense at all. First you are all about the fact that you can't stop this kid from doing anything he wants to, now you say he's a good kid. Just what is your issue??

Old 05-17-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
But would you rather your 15 year old smoke pot or act 30? I've met parents who would rather their kid do illegal activities but why they do baffles me.
No I wouldn’t, but if you keep allowing your son to think he’s the adult and you’re not, he’s going to continue playing with you and it’s potential to go down a very dangerous path.

As parents it is our job to keep our children safe. I’m not the best at parenting nor do I like disciplining. I know disciplining is hard, which is why, personally, I leave it to my husband b/c the kid is his anyhow.

I’m pretty lucky my stepson is a good kid. I am usually pretty lenient but once in a while I put my foot down & it all changes. Putting your foot down is never easy, thus why my husband disciplines not me, but it will earn you a lot more respect as well.

I would suggest cutting off all funding to your son. If he wants a cell phone or the car or anything else, then he has to buy it for himself.

Your biggest mistake here was buying a car for him

Old 05-17-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
No I wouldn’t, but if you keep allowing your son to think he’s the adult and you’re not, he’s going to continue playing with you and it’s potential to go down a very dangerous path.

As parents it is our job to keep our children safe. I’m not the best at parenting nor do I like disciplining. I know disciplining is hard, which is why, personally, I leave it to my husband b/c the kid is his anyhow.

I’m pretty lucky my stepson is a good kid. I am usually pretty lenient but once in a while I put my foot down & it all changes. Putting your foot down is never easy, thus why my husband disciplines not me, but it will earn you a lot more respect as well.

I would suggest cutting off all funding to your son. If he wants a cell phone or the car or anything else, then he has to buy it for himself.

Your biggest mistake here was buying a car for him
Plenty of parents buy their kids cars so whats the problem? Please explain.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You are making no sense at all. First you are all about the fact that you can't stop this kid from doing anything he wants to, now you say he's a good kid. Just what is your issue??
Clearly you did not read the whole post, i asked if anyone has met a teen who acts like an adult. Never did i mention having a hard time controlling him because I dont have to, clearly he is living successful so far and has never gotten in trouble with the law and has no intent to do so. Laissez-faire parenting works great. All the controlling parents kids seem to just be typical teens, smoking weed, vaping, and getting in trouble, when they can get their kid to make thousands in the stock market, become extremely politically aware, make all As, brush off bullies and have self control they can tell me their parenting style works great but until then, Laissez-faire parenting is the way to go.

Last edited by Cincylover4; 05-17-2019 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.