Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 689 times

Advertisements

A very tragic loss happened in our family. My mom and dad died in a car accident a week ago. They were headed to a foreign city when a cargo truck hit their car so badly. It was excruciating seeing your parents in their coffins and being buried. Now, all that’s left are their memories, but I know I need to be strong for my siblings. I still have two younger siblings and I should be the one taking care of them, rather than my relatives. How do I do it though? I’m still on the process of moving on, but I know they’re also in pain right now. I’m only 24 years old and I think I’m still incapable of taking on the responsibility of being their guardian. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,180,268 times
I am so sorry for your devastating loss.

The first thing that I would check is with your parent's attorney and view their will. Every parent that I know prepared for the worst case scenario by listing the guardians that they wanted to take care of their underage children in case of their death. It is likely that they listed a trusted, mature couple to have that responsibility. Most people will list a sibling & their spouse or long time friends that they know has similar child rearing philosophies.

If your parents did not have a will you will probably have to go through the court system to be named legal guardian. Trust me it would be a huge, huge responsibility. Depending on the age of your siblings, this could change your life in ways that you could not even imagine at this point.

Assuming that you could support all three of your on your salary (if your parents did not have adequate life insurance or savings) even things as simple as handling homework assignments for your siblings and parent teacher conferences as well as doctor's appointments and long range plans such as their plans for college or trade school.

And, of course, all of you may need grief counseling and therapy to get over the loss of your parents. I know many adults, in their 40s and 50s, who were completely devastated by the death of parent and needed extensive counseling.

Please don't make any hasty decisions. Seek the advice of trusted advisors, your parent's attorney and your parent's financial consultant. Please work with trusted relatives such as your aunts and uncles and grandparents. Maybe there is a way to have significant contact with your siblings while the day to day job of being "parent" is handled by other relatives.

Good luck. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:35 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,965,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjeremy24 View Post
A very tragic loss happened in our family. My mom and dad died in a car accident a week ago. They were headed to a foreign city when a cargo truck hit their car so badly. It was excruciating seeing your parents in their coffins and being buried. Now, all that’s left are their memories, but I know I need to be strong for my siblings. I still have two younger siblings and I should be the one taking care of them, rather than my relatives. How do I do it though? I’m still on the process of moving on, but I know they’re also in pain right now. I’m only 24 years old and I think I’m still incapable of taking on the responsibility of being their guardian. Please help!
Sorry that you are enduring such an unspeakable tragedy. As far as raising your younger siblings, I take it your parents didn't have anything planned? No godparents? Even if you're their legal guardian, do you have other family members that can help like grandparents or aunts and uncles?

There is nothing wrong with the younger siblings living with other family members if you're not able to provide support.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:22 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,039,853 times
Do your relatives live close by? Can they help? Like...maybe they can go to someone's house after school, so you know they're under supervision, and someone can get them started on homework...that kind of thing?

While I understand and agree with you, that your siblings should be with you, there's nothing wrong with leaning on trusted family members, for some of the day to day, if need be.

Out of curiosity, how old are your siblings? Teenagers?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
Really sorry for your loss.
I agree with Sassybluesy,....and I'm also very curious as to "how old are your siblings"?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:03 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
you need to get to a family law attorney and have yourself named as legal guardian of the siblings . The family lawyer can tell you the rest of what you need to do in terms of planning and taking legal care . However you might need a trusted adult to guide you along in other things such as paying for the house if you parents did not leave a will and you might have to end up selling the house etc .. these are things that will have to be done NOW otherwise the state will come in and assume custody of these children . Please don't wait get to a family attorney and establish your legal rights over these siblings . God bless and good luck to you .

Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,862,909 times
All of you are likely in a state of shock with the grieving barely begun.

I second Phone Lady's suggestion to see a family law attorney as soon as possible about custody, and financial matters.

I second Germaine's advice to meet with the relatives you are closest to and discuss how to go from here.

Regardless of whether your siblings live with you or other relatives, you all need each other right now.

Keeping a good thought for you all.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:39 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjeremy24 View Post
I was a similar age when my parents died and I took over the care of my three youngest siblings ranging in age from toddler to preteen. Parts of it were very hard, especially as I already had a daughter of my own the same age as my youngest sister.

I would find a therapist for the kids ASAP, so they have someone to talk to besides you. Additionally, you need to find someone you trust to execute the estate. Do not trust relatives as a group to deal with this, you need someone specifically looking out for your interests and that of your siblings. An executor will make sure all money issues are above board. You also need to find out the status of the family home ASAP, and determine if you will be able to continue to afford it (ideal but not always fiscally possible).

The actual guardianship itself is fairly straight forward. The only relatives who inherently have a stronger claim on guardianship are typically grandparents. If you can keep your sibs in the same school system, have a steady decent paying job, and no criminal history you should be able to show that they would be better off with you than a grandparent. OTOH, if you grandparents are around, healthy, and willing, and can supply those things that you cannot, you should consider letting your grandparents be the guardians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting