Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:47 PM

92 posts, read 59,151 times

Advertisements

I was one of those who are always late, always procrastinating. For me it was anxiety, it takes me awhile to mentally prepare myself for whats ahead. I used to get horrible stomach aches just from worrying myself silly over nothing in the morning. I wish my mom talked to me but oh well.

What helped is making sure I have double or even triple the time and mentally go through all upcoming "events" to reassure myself that it's basic stuff with predictable outcomes and nothing to stress about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 06:46 PM

16,585 posts, read 10,733,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I hope things went more smoothly this morning, OP.
Thank you, they actually did. It helped to have things laid out beforehand and ready to go, and I did get her up a little earlier than usual. We were all ready and out the door on time, without any drama. Was it a one-time fluke? Remains to be seen . . .

Old 10-01-2018, 07:07 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,158,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Thank you, they actually did. It helped to have things laid out beforehand and ready to go, and I did get her up a little earlier than usual. We were all ready and out the door on time, without any drama. Was it a one-time fluke? Remains to be seen . . .
Hopefully not!

Usually when the kids feel how much better things go with a little prep, they are on board. Just keep encouraging her when she gets ready with less drama.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:20 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,831,319 times
I have a 12 year old son exactly like this. He’s always been slow. Same personality as your daughter. Smart, lots of friends, active... but drives everyone nuts anytime we’re trying to stick to a schedule.

We are having him evaluated for ADD as well. His dad has it so it’s quite possible he inherited the gene.

I have no solutions for you. We finally worked out a routine where he pre packs his book bag and lays put his clothes the night before. No one turns on a TV in the morning. If me or my husband hear any horseplay going on we guide him back on task. I make it part of my routine to poke my head in his bedroom in the morning to make sure he’s not sitting on the bed staring into space. I call his name frequently until he’s dressed and downstairs. I won’t give him his phone until everything is done.

He’s still more often the last person out the door than not.

Even his teachers joke about how slow he is.

His dad complains about him every morning but he is the exact same way. SMH

My condolences.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 PM

4,239 posts, read 4,496,369 times
You could try what my parents did (there may not be an easy solution to individual task dawdlers if it is something they do not like to do) - but my parents had a simple policy for all the children and through teen years. All were given household chores. And we were made to complete chores and any schoolwork BEFORE we could engage in play or leisure activities.

It incentivized me to always get my chores done and try to do as much school assigned homework during school so I could go outside and play with my friends. This may be harder in today's 'connected PC age' , - I would encourage that on one hand, and then more 'pre-emptive" schedule times to at least get her closer to a time for certain things like ready for school, going out on family trip or dinner gathering etc...

Depending on the age you may need to 'walk them through the steps to be ready' and if you explain it to them in a fun way they can remember, all the better for it. You could create a trigger (sort of the equivalent in batters having a memory to focus themselves in baseball) - we started doing the line from The Music Man with one family member to be playful "Don't dawdle Amaryllis" - when the young girl is practicing Piano Lessons.

And if she is not ready for doing something, have consequences - denied privilege. It depends on temperament of the child. She sounds like one of my nieces. Very smart but not incentivized to be prompt until she was on her own in college. Now she's the most responsible of her siblings.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:06 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,984,144 times
Quote:
We haven't had her evaluated. To be honest, I hadn't thought about it. But maybe I should.
Please don't. She's in a developmental stage that she'll likely grow out of. She may just have a vivid imagination and could turn into a creative genius some day. Don't ruin that with prescription medication.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:46 AM

35,839 posts, read 18,164,828 times
Quote:
That's great, bus man. Maybe the fact that you focused on the solution and took steps are enough to make it happen.

Sometimes, just making it clear that it's a priority will solve the problem.

One thing we would do, is have a talk, and say here's the problem. What can you do to help? What do you think I could do to help? And they'd often come up with weird things, or things that wouldn't seem to help, but the problem would be solved. Because they realized it was a priority and were given a chance to try to figure it out together.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:39 AM

2,458 posts, read 3,232,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Please don't. She's in a developmental stage that she'll likely grow out of. She may just have a vivid imagination and could turn into a creative genius some day. Don't ruin that with prescription medication.
An evaluation doesn't automatically mean medication.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
An evaluation doesn't automatically mean medication.

Too often it does. American kids are the most medicated in the world and it is reaching alarming proportions.

Has the OP tried reading some books on child rearing? I wonder. So many parents don't try the obvious before rushing a kid to the doctor to get some sort of psychiatric diagnosis.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's great, bus man. Maybe the fact that you focused on the solution and took steps are enough to make it happen.

Sometimes, just making it clear that it's a priority will solve the problem.

One thing we would do, is have a talk, and say here's the problem. What can you do to help? What do you think I could do to help? And they'd often come up with weird things, or things that wouldn't seem to help, but the problem would be solved. Because they realized it was a priority and were given a chance to try to figure it out together.
Good practical solution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting