Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:18 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,661,916 times

Advertisements

Watch Our Gang for a completely different view of childhood. Those kids were roaming the streets and getting into all kinds of interesting adventures from the time they could walk. I think it was the 1930's.

I walked a mile, without permission, to the toy store when I was five. Freedom is a wonderful thing. I would hate to be an imprisoned kid today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 08:38 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,070,958 times
Why are teenagers today more obedient than teenagers in prior decades?

They're afraid of losing their privileges to all of their modern technological gadgets that they're dependent on now.

They know if their parents/guardians/authorities take away their gadget privileges as punishment for infractions they won't know what to do with themselves and they'll have nervous breakdowns. Just thinking about losing their gadgets will make them break out in a cold sweat and unable to breathe properly due to anxiety attacks. In their minds it would be worse than being locked up in solitary confinement in prison. The same reaction can be said for the majority of so many adults who are also hooked on their gadgets these days.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
npr reported in puerto rico, the kids have to learn how to have fun outside under the sun, without their game systems

Old 11-15-2017, 02:58 PM

776 posts, read 395,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That's not all she does, but it's how she usually spends her free time. Watching TV, drawing pictures, coloring on things with Sharpies, watching makeup tutorials and trying them, using social media, playing games, etc. She's usually eager to go places when we ask (to show the world her blue hair and elf ears), but at home if she's not doing school work or chores or exercising, she's in her room or her sister's room, doing the stuff listed above.
Interesting that she's artistic and has blue hair. In my observation, those are the least obedient people. My best friend was artistic and had pink hair and she said that her pink hair and black clothing were a way of saying, "I smoke and I drink, and the fact that the puritanical powers that be hate it makes me enjoy it all the more."

Old 11-16-2017, 06:55 AM

649 posts, read 818,047 times
Maybe it is the fact that these teenagers are the first generation of kids born to women with (mostly) full reproductive freedom. Access to abortion and birth control allowed women to only have children they actually WANT and are therefore invested in raising in an engaged way.

I am Gen-x and I think I am a product of the last wave of births before oral contraception became the norm. My mom had two kids she didn't actually want because that was the expectation. You just shut up, got married and procreated. Being compelled to reproduce is not a recipe for success or engaged parenting.

ETA: I cannot comment on their obedience but the teenagers around me are ASTONISHINGLY nice. I mean, it is kinda gross (to my snarky ironic gen-x sensibilities) how supportive of each other and kind they are. Maybe it is just my town.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:49 PM

426 posts, read 363,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post

I think it is because that standards for parenting are so low that even the worst kids do not seem like a big deal whereas in 1950, the parents who never pay attention to their kids now would stick out like a sore thumb.

In other words, the behavior is the same, but the bar is lower, so we incorrectly think the behavior improved because we do not want to admit our standards have gotten worse.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
Quote:
None of these really mean they are being "obedient." That word assumes someone has told them not to do something, so they don't do it. Personally, I think parents are more honest with their kids now than they used to be. Before, these subjects were somewhat taboo. I feel like parents are much more realistic these days. Instead of telling them, in no uncertain terms, not to have sex, you make sure they know about birth control. Instead of telling them not to drink, you tell them the possible consequences. As parent now, it is much less "because I said so" and much more "drugs or teen pregnancy could really make you life more difficult."

Old 12-10-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
I think it is because that standards for parenting are so low that even the worst kids do not seem like a big deal whereas in 1950, the parents who never pay attention to their kids now would stick out like a sore thumb.

In other words, the behavior is the same, but the bar is lower, so we incorrectly think the behavior improved because we do not want to admit our standards have gotten worse.
That's not what any of the links indicate. They compare apples to apples.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Interesting that she's artistic and has blue hair. In my observation, those are the least obedient people. My best friend was artistic and had pink hair and she said that her pink hair and black clothing were a way of saying, "I smoke and I drink, and the fact that the puritanical powers that be hate it makes me enjoy it all the more."
Maybe they used to be. Colored hair was a way to rebel. What hedgehog described sounds a lot like one of my kids. He wanted to color his hair, so I took him to the store and helped him pick out the right stuff, and helped him do it. Back in the 80's I either wouldn't have dared, or it would have been a big secret from my mom because she wouldn't have liked it.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Parents, schools, politicians, bureaucrats, the UN, the WHO, lobbyists, advocacy groups, etc. dreamed of a smoke-free, teetotaling, and sexually abstinent generation. They got their wish.
Did you look at your links? Teen pregnancy is down. Birth control use is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting