Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 12:12 PM

894 posts, read 589,507 times

Advertisements

I admit I saw this amazing question on another website. You guys always have such good stories that I can't resist asking it of you:

What has your child (or grandchild) ever done in the past that was considered wrong by others but you were secretly proud of your kid for doing it?

*Teachers, you're welcome to jump in if you have a student you were ever proud of for doing something that others may not have approved of (like defending another kid, for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 03:03 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,172,741 times
Interesting question. I was not "proud" at the time, but in hindsight, I'm proud that as they reached adulthood, they stood up to me. I can see now that it was part of them starting to make their own way.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,925,873 times
My story is actually where I was going to do the wrong thing but my kid chose to do the right thing.

An older boy attempted to molest my son (I think he was around 6 and the boy might have been 10 or so) in a play area. It was really busy. He was able to stop the boy and came out and told me. I panicked. I started to pack up...I had seen the parents of the kid and judged a book by its cover.

But my son was having none of it. He figured out who the mother of the boy was and went right up and told her, all on his own, what happened. I was so scared she was going to flip out. She handled it very well and let him know how brave he was to tell, how sorry she was. She explained this boy was having problems and they are working on it. And she apologized to me and they left.

I was so proud of him. But he did completely ignore me when I told him not to, that we were going. I didn't mind...I bought him an ice cream.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:44 PM

894 posts, read 589,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My story is actually where I was going to do the wrong thing but my kid chose to do the right thing.

An older boy attempted to molest my son (I think he was around 6 and the boy might have been 10 or so) in a play area. It was really busy. He was able to stop the boy and came out and told me. I panicked. I started to pack up...I had seen the parents of the kid and judged a book by its cover.

But my son was having none of it. He figured out who the mother of the boy was and went right up and told her, all on his own, what happened. I was so scared she was going to flip out. She handled it very well and let him know how brave he was to tell, how sorry she was. She explained this boy was having problems and they are working on it. And she apologized to me and they left.

I was so proud of him. But he did completely ignore me when I told him not to, that we were going. I didn't mind...I bought him an ice cream.
Your son was very brave & mature for his age to tell you AND the other kid's parent what happened right away.

Someone molested me when I was around that age but I didn't have the courage to tell my parents until years later.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,925,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
Your son was very brave & mature for his age to tell you AND the other kid's parent what happened right away.

Someone molested me when I was around that age but I didn't have the courage to tell my parents until years later.
I was abused off and on for most of my childhood but lived with the primary abuser and knew I couldn't tell. I feel like I worked hard to fortify them so that if something happened they could say. But where I went in to flight mode, he went in to rock star kid mode.

I really respect the mother for how well she handled things. I think she was a foster mom in retrospect. But after she left I thought I wanted to be able to parent like that. Even when I saw her talking to her son, she was being compassionate but firm. I think I have learned a lot from that interaction.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:19 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,407,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

I can't rep you--apparently did so recently. Good for you for raising a child that could do this and sorry about your abusive past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting