Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,265 times

Advertisements

I'm a teenager that lives in Richmond Virginia and i work at a daycare everyday after school. Two of the young girls that i work are obviously medically and physically neglected, they are twins. Neglect is defined as a type of maltreatmen that refers to the failure to provide needed age-appropriate care, such as shelter, food, clothing, education, supervision, medical care, and other basic necessities needed for development of physical, intellectual, and emotional capacites. The girls have been coming to the daycare since a very young age and are now almost two. As the time as progressed the neglect has become more aparent to me and I believe that favorites are even chosen between the twins. I know for a fact that the girls parents are fairly wealthy and have more than enough money to buy the girls their own clothes, bathe them, feed them, and give the the attention that they deserve. I live in a nice community and was oblivious to things such as child neglect happening around me before this and i would just like to make others more aware of the issues going on around them in their own communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 09:20 PM

45 posts, read 279,585 times
Default Neglect

I am sure your parents are very proud of you for noticing and taking interest in what is going on at your daycare. I would be sure to document everything you see and share with your boss of your suspisions, it can't hurt. This is what is going to take, people like you that do see what is going on behind closed doors. I cannot understand how anyone could mistreat a child. I also have dealt with children who are abused, abandoned, etc. It breaks my heart, I am now fostering two children, along with raising my own. If I could I would adopt every child possible. Good luck to you and keep on watching.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,059,083 times
Have you talked to the director of the daycare?
This needs to be reported.
As Karen said, you need to document everything you have seen.
Neglect/abuse does not only happen to children who are lower on the socio-economic ladder.
Thank you for caring.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,404,070 times
Somehow, I find your story unbelievable. Only because wealthy people do no use daycare facilities for their children. Let's say it's true. Tell your superiors and if they don't respond contact the authorities. This may lead to you being fired if the accusations are unfounded. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2006, 12:02 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,798,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
Somehow, I find your story unbelievable. Only because wealthy people do no use daycare facilities for their children. Let's say it's true. Tell your superiors and if they don't respond contact the authorities. This may lead to you being fired if the accusations are unfounded. Good luck!
Wait, why do wealthy people not use daycare? Are you assuming that they are wealthy enough to have the mother stay home with the kids, or that they have live in nannies? I see no reason why "wealthy people" don't use day care.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,059,083 times
Affluent people do use daycare at times. (Even if it's the nanny who drops the kid off.)
And some neglected and/or abused children come from wealthy families.
I've seen it.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:57 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,664,961 times
Arussell! You are RIGHT! Wealty ppl do NOT use daycare!

*whisper* They use preschool LOL. My little one attends a jewish preschool and you should see the cars that roll in there everyday! Some of the moms do not work but they bring in their children anyway. Not what I would do if I had a choice but.... anyway. We are not jewish and not wealthy but it is a wonderful place for him. The cost is a bit more but it's worth it.
Back to topic. You can call your local child protective services. It's hard to know if they will intervene other than a phone call but your call will be anonymous and you will at least know you did something. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,112,128 times
If you suspect neglect, you should discuss it with your supervisor. You have a legal responsibility to at least do that much. Having said that, neglect and abuse surely does occur in all income brackets, all classes, all races, all levels of education, all religions...abuse and neglect know no boundries.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:24 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,214,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
his Idea of wealthy and ours may not be the same

Old 04-21-2007, 06:49 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,437,237 times
N0 excuse for it, no matter what here, they should of been reported long ago and it needs to be done asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting