Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:50 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,224 times

Advertisements

My child takes dance and recital is coming up. Every year the moms come in the dressing room at the theater with their daughters and snap photos of their child once she is dressed, but other girls are still getting dressed and may even be naked in the background. So I spoke up about this but the moms get defensive and the dance studio doesn't seem to care about it that much. Even though they have a rule that cameras aren't allowed in dressing rooms. It would be easy for them to step out in the hallway to take their child's pictures. There is also recital photography they can get pictures made of their child in the dance uniform, before or after the show. I don't know why or how this is okay to snap photos or even video in a child's dressing room. Almost all of these kids are under 18, many under the age of 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 06:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Are you asking us to be outraged over something that "could conceivably" happen, or something that has? Because I'm pretty sure that if parents were inadvertently taking photos of naked children then there would be an outcry and enforcement of the rules.

Why must the girls be naked at all though? Can't they wear a leotard and tights from home?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Are you asking us to be outraged over something that "could conceivably" happen, or something that has? Because I'm pretty sure that if parents were inadvertently taking photos of naked children then there would be an outcry and enforcement of the rules.

Why must the girls be naked at all though? Can't they wear a leotard and tights from home?
Sure, but many of them have costume changes in between, because they are in multiple performances of the recital.
They are also required to wear street clothes when they enter the theater, not be in their dance costume. They are required to dress and change in the dressing room of the theater.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:13 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
If there is a rule about cameras in the dressing room, this is a no-brainer.

Talk to the studio/theater owner.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:59 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If there is a rule about cameras in the dressing room, this is a no-brainer.

Talk to the studio/theater owner.
At the dance studios where my daughter performed, parents were very strictly forbidden to be in the changing area/dressing room on performance nights. They had parents/relatives/paid workers assigned to help and no one else was allowed back stage. They even had a security guard stopping parents (strangers/others) from being there 15 minutes before the show & 15 minutes after the show.

They also very strictly enforced the "no camera" rule in the dressing area. The written policy, stated when you signed up for class and when you signed up for performances, was that if a parent or relative was caught taking pictures behind the stage or in the dressing area their child would be forbidden from participating in the show and could be kicked out of the studio. I don't know if they ever did those things, but, to my knowledge, no one wanted to chance facing those penalties.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:27 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
I wouldn't be ok with it. I would make more of a fuss about it until they enforce the rule. Cameras should not be allowed in common dressing rooms, adults or children.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:29 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
At the dance studios where my daughter performed, parents were very strictly forbidden to be in the changing area/dressing room on performance nights. They had parents/relatives/paid workers assigned to help and no one else was allowed back stage. They even had a security guard stopping parents (strangers/others) from being there 15 minutes before the show & 15 minutes after the show.

They also very strictly enforced the "no camera" rule in the dressing area. The written policy, stated when you signed up for class and when you signed up for performances, was that if a parent or relative was caught taking pictures behind the stage or in the dressing area their child would be forbidden from participating in the show and could be kicked out of the studio. I don't know if they ever did those things, but, to my knowledge, no one wanted to chance facing those penalties.
Now that I think about it, even when my daughter was a preschooler, in the rather "rinky-dink" shows that that the YMCA put on, they still forbid parents to go back stage & in the dressing rooms because they had an assigned "parent mom" to each class and members of the HS Honor Society helping out. They also forbid cameras in that area plus had a security guard stopping people. And, this was 25 plus years ago.

Now that many people have cameras on the phones it must be even a bigger problem to "sneak a camera" someplace.

Talk the director and insist that the no camera rule is followed.

And, if you see someone breaking the rule, speak up loud enough that other parents can hear "Hey, my five year is not dressed! Stop taking pictures!" or "Hey! Some of the little girls are naked! Stop taking pictures!" and get someone in charge.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:04 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I wouldn't be ok with it. I would make more of a fuss about it until they enforce the rule. Cameras should not be allowed in common dressing rooms, adults or children.
Agreed. This is what happens when some think they are above the rules that are in place.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:53 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
My child takes dance and recital is coming up. Every year the moms come in the dressing room at the theater with their daughters and snap photos of their child once she is dressed, but other girls are still getting dressed and may even be naked in the background. So I spoke up about this but the moms get defensive and the dance studio doesn't seem to care about it that much. Even though they have a rule that cameras aren't allowed in dressing rooms.
If the moms are cool with it, and the studio is cool with it, I would suggest you take your daughter and switch to a different studio. As evidenced by this thread, this doesn't appear to be the norm for children's dance studios.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:58 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
I would have an issue with it to. Cameras should not be allowed in a dressing room period. A parent could inadvertently take a picture of another girl in the state of undress that is in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting