Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 PM

2,464 posts, read 3,240,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Not legally.
If you haven't paid for it you cannot possess it against the other persons wishes.
If you wish to be that resistant to the house rules, then that makes it much more reasonable and easy to help you find the door. If you want to live rent free, play nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Let me throw a curve ball....say your adult child pays for all their stuff, just doesn't pay rent and they do something that doesn't warrant getting kicked out but "punished", what do you do then?
You can't take away a car in their name, can't take away a cell phone in their name that they pay for....what do you do then if their things are in their name and the ONLY option is to kick them out but its not serious enough for that?
Real adults don't talk in terms of being punished.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,993,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Real adults don't talk in terms of being punished.
Real adults also don't break the law because they feel above it.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 PM

7,965 posts, read 11,756,108 times
REAL adults either provide their own roof over their heads and pay thier own way, or they show respect for the ones who ARE paying rent and follow their rules!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,217,453 times
Quote:
Just because you're a parent doesn't mean you can break the law.
Like paganmama said you can make a rule you can't use it on the property but you cannot take it away, its a crime.

If its not in your name and you don't pay for it then you cannot legally possess it against the owners will. Yes, it is that black and white and no there are not exceptions if the person if your child.
So, they can sue me.....and/or move out.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Real adults also don't break the law because they feel above it.
Who's breaking the law?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Who's breaking the law?
They're saying that if they want to take something from their child whos an adult living at home, that the kid paid for themselves, say they are 20 and on their own cell phone plan in THEIR name and they make all the payments their selves, some people here are saying that they would take the cellphone if they saw fit.

Well you can't, its not the parents property and they don't pay for it in then they can't LEGALLY take it.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
They're saying that if they want to take something from their child whos an adult living at home, that the kid paid for themselves, say they are 20 and on their own cell phone plan in THEIR name and they make all the payments their selves, some people here are saying that they would take the cellphone if they saw fit.

Well you can't, its not the parents property and they don't pay for it in then they can't LEGALLY take it.
You are missing the point. Adults don't punish adults. Landlords make rules and tenants agree to abide by them. If said tenant fails to follow the rules, they can find some other place to live.

If you wish to be hardheaded and tell your mother what she can and cannot do and basically thumb your nose at her, that is your call. Don't be surprised though, when you find your stuff in a bag on the porch.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point. Adults don't punish adults. Landlords make rules and tenants agree to abide by them. If said tenant fails to follow the rules, they can find some other place to live.

If you wish to be hardheaded and tell your mother what she can and cannot do and basically thumb your nose at her, that is your call. Don't be surprised though, when you find your stuff in a bag on the porch.
Who ever said this is what I was doing?
I just simply posed a question. My mom wouldn't dare even ask me for my cellphone or my car keys as a punishment, but she wouldn't hesitate to take the directv box out of my room or take something else I didn't pay for. Bright side to that is the stuff she pays for, I could care less about, my car, laptop and cell phone are all mine and the only things I would care about if they were gone and she wouldn't cross that line because she knows she can't legally do so.

And by the way you hear of lots of 18+ kids living at home still getting grounded and their things taken away by their parents when they do something wrong.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:04 PM

17,616 posts, read 16,780,455 times
Quote:
And by the way you hear of lots of 18+ kids living at home still getting grounded and their things taken away by their parents when they do something wrong.
My kids aren't 18+ yet so there is no way to know for sure how I'm going to handle house rules and such when they do get to be that age.

But at this time, remembering what I was like myself at that age, I tend to think that by 18+ a person has pretty much outgrown being grounded or having their Ipad (or whatever) taken away by their parents. Grounding a college kid would be like spanking a 15 year old or putting a 16 year old in time out. They are just too old for that kind of treatment. Or at least that's way I'm seeing it now. I might change my mind when my own kids are that age - I've learned never to say never when it comes to kids.

This is not to say that all 18+ kids are responsible people or that they all behave like mature adults or that they are all easy to live with. But they are legally adults and therefore they really are responsible for themselves and their own well being in a very real sense. The sooner that sinks in for them, the better off they will be long term.

That said, in theory, I think that it would be better if parents would back off and focus less on controlling their 18+ kids (curfews/friends) and more on controlling house rules/use of parental possessions (House door deadbolts lock at 11:00 and will unlock at 6am. No friends past a certain time without our approval. You may/may not borrow our car).

Last edited by springfieldva; 10-15-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting