Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,761,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
I don't claim to be any better than any other parent out there. we all do our best, even when its in different ways. i make mistakes, as do you, and every one else on here...

but why label yourself a sahm if youre sending your kids to daycare 40+ hours a week?
Why is what she calls herself an issue? I mean, really...who cares what label one puts on oneself? Do you feel that her calling herself a stay-at-home mom somehow diminishes how you choose to raise your children?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM

438 posts, read 1,509,933 times
I keep getting sucked into reading these posts because I think I'm going to find some wonderful solution to some problem I may be having with my children. Instead I see this is little more than a soapbox for some mothers to announce how wonderful they are. Great, you spend every waking moment with you child. Do you want a prize for that? Does it make you feel like a good person for saying that? Does it make you feel special to basically insult the vast majority of SAHMs who do put their kids in preschool for a grand whopping total of 7 hours a week? Seven out of 86 hours a week is a minuscule amount of time away from a child. Seven peaceful hour I personally spend either doing laundry, grocery shopping, or otherwise cleaning so I can spend the other 79 hours a week playing with my poor neglected child. How abusive of me.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,961,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Why is what she calls herself an issue? I mean, really...who cares what label one puts on oneself? Do you feel that her calling herself a stay-at-home mom somehow diminishes how you choose to raise your children?
I must spread some reputation around before giving you some again

Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 AM

394 posts, read 2,004,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post

but why label yourself a sahm if youre sending your kids to daycare 40+ hours a week?
I think you need another hobby, you are worrying about the issue too much.

Seriously, I wouldn't spend so much time worrying about how other mothers label themselves.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,557,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
I think you need another hobby, you are worrying about the issue too much.

Seriously, I wouldn't spend so much time worrying about how other mothers label themselves.
Exactly!

You better hurry and get back to those kids before they collapse in fear and not know who their mommy is anymore!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 AM

438 posts, read 1,509,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Exactly!

You better hurry and get back to those kids before they collapse in fear and not know who their mommy is anymore!
If I could give you bonus points for that I so would!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:58 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,761,078 times
Quote:
Exactly!

Oh god...I just repped you otherwise I'd do it again.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:00 AM

932 posts, read 1,275,236 times
Quote:
Exactly!

thanks for your concern. My nine year old is doing math worksheets and my 22 month old is in my lap.

least i know what my kids are doing this moment.

apparently its ok to let strangers raise your kids while you do whatever it is a sahm mom with no kids at home does.

I'm out. this conversation has taken a total turn from what i intended it.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,215,689 times
This kind of stuff is why I don't do playgroups anymore. All the catty fighting over how each person parents. There is always one or two who are so militant over how they choose to do things and feel that everyone around them has to do it the same way.

Ok stepping off my box now.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,906,786 times
I've been a SAHM since I was expecting my first child almost 14 years ago. AGH!!! I'm THAT old I put her in a preschool part time when she was 2 1/2 but the school WAS a full time daycare. It just happened to have the best curriculium, teachers, staff, convienent, etc that WE liked. She first started going there because although I was a "SAHM" I did work for my husband in our business. Before she was old enough for this she was lugged all over the place be it my parents, my sister, friends from church, neighobrs, etc that kept her on the days I needed to work. That got OLD!!! And when I had to drive an hour to take her to my mom and an hour afterwards and then BACK to our house that makes for a LONG DAY! I also did not have to juggle everyone elses schedule to be able to work so that she was cared for. She started off only part time but because the school was so good they stopped offereing p-t and I had to enroll her f-t. She did not always go fulltime but I had to pay for it and it was WELL WORTH IT! When I had my youngest a few years later I "quit" working and we hired someone fulltime but I still kept my oldest in "school" but she only went p-t. They never went duirng the summer after this time unless I had to work to cover the persons vacation at our business. When the time came I enrolled my youngest in the same school at 2 1/2. She was the type that was ATTACHED BIG TIME to mommy and even at church would cry into hysterics and throw up it was THAT BAD! This really helped her learn that it was okay for mom to leave her for a lil bit and I'd be right back. She also made MANY friends that she still sees to this day and she is 9. Neither of my kids went once they started kindergarten.

Why did I still put them in it after I did not have to work a few days every week? It allowed me time to do things I needed to get done be it for the house or my husbands business that the kids would come to hate (they hate it now and they are much older but they hate having to do certain things w/ me that have to do w/ home and business doings). It also allowed me to schedule things like doctor appts, hair appts, etc that I did not have to always cancel becuase the other SAHM could not watch them that day. I could make appts ahead of time and plan and not have to worry about that and always look like a schitzo or something if I always had to cancel appt's. I could also cover for the fulltime person we hired when they were out on vacation or whatever and not have to worry about the business hurting or my husband having to work extra long days/nights to cover. Our kids could have BOTH mom AND dad because of it.

I don't think it hurt them at all and my kids even now at the ages of 13 & 9 still talk about the friends they made there and still see at school. We made good friends w/ the director and see her all the time. There are reasons why some do and I don't think it is up to ANYONE that is NOT a part of THAT family to judge them for doing something YOU may not agree with. I also don't feel that ANY of us should have to defend the reasons why we chose to put our kids in these programs. They have MANY good uses and pluses and those far outweigh any negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting