Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:18 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Ridiculous and unnecessarily expensive. The average pre-K child does not have prom-wear laying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
There's plenty of time to get into the popularity contest, who is the prettiest, who has the best stuff, and whose parents have the most money. No need to start that young.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My kids learned how to dress up when family occasions and holidays deemed it appropriate.

For parents who can't handle doing it on their own, there are cotillion classes, which are held for the much more appropriate age groups of grades 5-8. This idea is really nothing more than a chance for adults to push young children to act in a manner more appropriate for older kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post

Honestly, these kids in the video, I think it is the parents who thought it was so cute and amazing. You could likely have put these kids in shorts and thrown them at a beach or in the woods and they would have had even more fun. And it would be free.
Count me as a resounding "no" for the above reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Quote:
While I loved dressing my girls up, we were broke when they were little, so their fancy clothes were Easter dresses from Grandma. My son is now 12 and has never had a suit, because he never needed one. Twice within the last year he's needed to wear a dress shirt and nice pants for a school event. I let him wear his black Vans because he outgrows shoes almost as quickly as I buy them. I know children look adorable when they are all dressed up, but I appreciate that I did not have the pressure to do so when they were so little at school.
Same with my 12 year old son. At his 6th grade graduation all but a couple boys were in athletic shoes of some kind. His vans are his dress shoes.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
While I loved dressing my girls up, we were broke when they were little, so their fancy clothes were Easter dresses from Grandma. My son is now 12 and has never had a suit, because he never needed one. Twice within the last year he's needed to wear a dress shirt and nice pants for a school event. I let him wear his black Vans because he outgrows shoes almost as quickly as I buy them. I know children look adorable when they are all dressed up, but I appreciate that I did not have the pressure to do so when they were so little at school.
My son was 22 before he got his first suit - for interviews. He did not have a reason to wear a suit often enough to justify the expense. Dress pants, dress shirt and tie was just fine.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:36 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Ugh no.

Give them something to look forward to.
Exactly.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:40 AM

I doubt that at preschool age things like prom are even on their radar as something to look forward to. They're more likely to look forward to a trip to Disneyland or a local bounce-house. Prom? Doubtful. I doubt most of them would have even heard if it unless someone prepped them.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:32 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I think a big no for mostly the same reason I am against graduations all the time. We save the big celebrations for big accomplishments. Everyone "graduates" pre-school. The whole thing has gotten out of control. And it isn't for the kids, its for their parents who want to feel special.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:51 AM

922 posts, read 1,110,715 times
My eldest daughter had a daddy/daughter dance at her preschool both years that she attended there and she went both years. The best parts of that dance? They held it 2 weeks before Christmas AND any other daughter's were allowed to attend. Our girls both wore their Christmas dresses/outfits (thank you, Grandma!) and had a lot of fun dancing and eating cookies and drinking punch, etc. The staff took pictures of the girls with their dads and emailed them the parents. Nothing crazy formal or scheduled, just a cute dance celebration that gave the dads a chance to meet the teachers and spend time with their kids- the son/mom dance was a few months later, right around Easter and it was done in the same manner.

But actual proms for toddlers? Give me a break. I am not going to go broke hussifying up my toddler because some social-climbing lamebrain decided it was a necessary "rite of passage" so the younger kids aren't "left out". No 5-year old is going to be socially stunted if he/she doesn't have a toddler prom and if by chance that they DO become damaged by it, you aren't doing your job as a parent.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:53 AM

922 posts, read 1,110,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think a big no for mostly the same reason I am against graduations all the time. We save the big celebrations for big accomplishments. Everyone "graduates" pre-school. The whole thing has gotten out of control. And it isn't for the kids, its for their parents who want to feel special.

^^ Exactly. Our kids "graduated" preschool and all we did was give them big hugs and took them to lunch at Chick Fil-A

Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
^^ Exactly. Our kids "graduated" preschool and all we did was give them big hugs and took them to lunch at Chick Fil-A
When my son "graduated" kinder the school did a full cap and gown ceremony. It took HOURS! Speeches, "diplomas", posed photos. I expected maybe the kids would sing a song and then we would eat cookies. Nope. He refuses to go to any graduation again. His current school does one EVERY YEAR. I mean, come on! It isn't as formal as that first one was, but it is long and tedious.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:09 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
...and when did "The" get dropped from in front of Prom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting