Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:07 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,443,569 times

Advertisements

Not sure why people are arguing about this.
Everybody has their own area of expertise, but if you're going to drive and own a car, you need to know some things.
Such as: how to check the oil and check other fluids (coolant, brake, transmission, windshield washer fluid)
When to take it in for an oil change (or change it yourself)
How to change a tire
When a tire needs to be replaced
When windshield wipers need to be replaced

As a girl in the 1960s, I was never encouraged to learn HOW to change oil, but I can check it, add oil if necessary and I know that it's important to have regular oil changes. Over the years, I've learned the symptoms of a bad alternator, fuel pump, water pump, bad rings, dying battery, loose belts, snapped timing belt and other stuff that comes from experience. Often that has saved me from being scammed by a garage - yes, even at a dealer's garage (they're the most expensive lessons!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,738,568 times
If you own a car you should care enough to read the owner's manual for that car.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:09 AM

174 posts, read 190,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Those two are NOT "some of the most essential components of being and adult".

Actually, I know people who won't let their kids (including and especially daughters) drive alone until they can change a tire themselves. Now maybe this was more common before cell phones and run flats, but I still believe it to be sound practice.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:47 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,017,489 times
I don't mind what parents teach their kids or what pass or not. But I do mind when parents wont teach their kids good manners and good behavior.

OP your past is not the present. Some people like work with hands some are not and some are talented and some are not. If you are not able to help please do say NO that completely okay!

Old 06-08-2016, 06:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
I'd rather teach my son to excel academically so he is not "hurt financially" by a $40 oil change.

Also my friend taught his boy to make apps for phones. That kid makes way more than $20 in half an hour. Neither bothers with their own oil changes.

To answer your question, my boy is 4 and he is already learning to use hand tools and drill, etc.
He recently put together a table for his playroom. Our next project is letting him put together the wagon my brother got him for xmas. He has used the mower, as well. And he helps in the kitchen, has been making and serving coffee since he was 3, etc.

I think parents should teach their kids everything they know. And learn new stuff to give their kids more.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Yikes. You can buy a code scanner for less than that. My dad has one.

Also O'Reilly's and Autozone will plug you into a computer to check for codes for free.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,969,592 times
My DH by profession works on cars and he can fix almost anything electrical in our house (he's a whiz with fixing our AC when it's not working and it saves us lots of money) but he hasn't taught our son any of his skills yet. Our son is 8. DH will usually let him watch if he's doing something but most sometimes it isn't safe for the 8 year old to be to close when DH is checking out whatever issue we having going on. I was helping him fix our AC issue a couple of years ago. He was on the phone telling me what to do and I ended up zapping myself. As both of the kids get older, I know DH will show them both how to change oil and to change tires.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,472,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
Just to make it clear, I am wondering why a father would not teach their kid how to do somthing such as working on cars when the father does know how to do it and does work on his own car. im also wondering at what age you taught your kid to work on cars if you do work on them your self. No where did I say why don't people that don't work on cars not teach their kid how to work on cars. Sorry if that point was lost in my first post.
FWIW, my dad wasn't a mechanic nor is he particularly mechanically inclined. He works in an office. At one point he did his own brake jobs and the odd oil change to save money. He would also do basic maintenance and repairs to the snow blower, lawn mower, and Outboard on our fishing boat.

I don't remember that he ever specifically taught us to do anything except change a tire. I can do as much, if not more, than he can. I learned from following him around.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,549,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
No they aren't. It's just perceived that they are more difficult due to the number of wires and plastic shrouding in the newer engine bays. Truth is most of the vehicle maintanence needed by a brand new 2016 automobile can still be done at home, in your garage, with basic handtools. Changing power steering fluid, or bleeding the brakes, or changing differential fluid or engine oil or spark plugs is still done the same way it was 30 years ago. Brakes haven't changed designs in decades. Engine's still have the same basic geometry as they did 30-40 years ago. They just cover them up with more plastic these days.

You can download a $5 app on your smart phone, a $5 wifi dongle off ebay, and access the computer to read codes and see sensor readings.

It's only more complicated if you don't understand how they work. Once you have an understanding, I'd almost venture to say vehicle care these days is easier than 20-30 years ago. At least that's how I perceive it.

EDIT: Don't misunderstand my post as to imply everyone should still work on their own cars. Not the point I was trying to make.
And with Youtube, there are readily available instructions on how to replace most every single thing, even down to your specific year and model.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:20 AM

22,622 posts, read 47,766,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
Actually, I know people who won't let their kids (including and especially daughters) drive alone until they can change a tire themselves. Now maybe this was more common before cell phones and run flats, but I still believe it to be sound practice.
Same here... but doing that does not make them an adult.
It is not even one "of the most essential components of being and adult" (which was what I was commenting upon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting