Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:23 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,971,639 times

Advertisements

Great thread - thanks for the memories! I remember watching the Sonny & Cher Show & the Carol Burnett Show with my mom. We loved all those Bob Mackie fashions. And Pot o' Gloss!! When they came out with it in eye colors we went wild!

And glitter nail polish that took forever to get off. Roller City in the summer & Alpine Ice Rink in the winter. Holding hands during the couples' skate songs. Now when I watch 'That 70's Show', I can't believe how spot-on it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,656,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
What ever happened to sleep-overs?
It seems like kids don't do that anymore.
My son's only had a friend spend the night a handful of times.
I think boys don't do sleep overs as much. I have a ten year old girl and a twelve year old boy. My son has had boys sleep over, but he rarely sleeps over at anyone's house. My daughter does sleep overs all the time, either here or there! Your comments reminded me of a night a few weeks ago. My daughter and son each had a friend spend the night and they were playing Rock Band. They were all singing the songs together, and having a blast!! Something about it reminded me of when I was a kid - - - It put a smile on my face!!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Roller City in the summer & Alpine Ice Rink in the winter. Holding hands during the couples' skate songs.
I remember when they would do the boys only skate, and the girls would line up along the half wall and stick their hands out. Then the boys would skate by and slap your hand! If it was a cute boy that slapped your hand your head would be up in the clouds!!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 PM

36 posts, read 102,684 times
Great memories! Does anybody remember the Mystery Date game? It was my favorite Christmas gift of 1972. I'd pray that the door would open to the prom date, but of course I usually ended up with the "nerdy" bowler. And Love's Baby Soft -- my daughters laugh at me now when we go shopping and I stand in the aisle smelling the sample - I love taking trips down memory lane.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,592,314 times
I remember that game! I didn't have it but I knew some girls who did ...probably the same cool girls who had the white go-go boots we were all jealous of and whose long hair hung perfectly straight like Laurie Partidge or Marsha Brady!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Oh, here's another one - - - Remember the Dittos jeans?? They had that big seam sewn in the back that went across your butt and down the back of both legs!!

I remember waiting all day for that one song to come on the radio so you could quickly turn on the tape recorder and record it! It never failed that someone would come in and talk while you were recording - - - Grrr!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,160,210 times
Wow!

Only things they missed: Dittos jeans and Bonne Bell Lipsmackers.

(p.s. quick web search shows that both are now available again. Looks like Dittos now start at ~$160.00 though!!! )

Old 07-08-2009, 12:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,592,314 times
HaHa - I remember my mom about having a heart attack when she saw the price for Ditto's $25!!! For a pair of jeans!!! But you had to have them. and if you were really cool (this was in CA) you wore them with a tube top and your BareTraps platform shoes!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Oh gosh, tube tops were a disaster in the waiting weren't they?? It appears that they are back, too! As if it wasn't enough to try to keep your low rise pants from riding too low, now you got to keep the tube top from falling down!! Just what everyone needs!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:27 PM

160 posts, read 1,164,841 times
Yup, I taped songs off the radio! Um, think I still have those tapes somewhere. Still have my Quija Board too. Took it out once and freaked out my daughter and her friends. hehehehe
I had clackers that were just on a string. Lots of bruises. And loved Holly Hobbie and Laura Ingalls. How about Nancy Drew? And Elephant pants? And Peace signs?? Oh, I guess I could go on and on. Fun to reflect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting