Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 02:18 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,774,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Sometimes the more accepting or encouraging you are of the weird things that kids want to do, the quicker they lose interest in them. I'd probably offer to buy a different color of eyeliner, or the waterproof kind, or some concealer to go with it...something to make him think that his parents think it's a cool idea, and then he'll get tired of it really quickly. I did that when my daughter wanted to wear 6" heels all the time...bought her a couple of pairs and encouraged her to wear them everywhere we went, then made sure we walked really far on the days when she was wearing them. She was over them in two weeks.

This is so true. I remember when I was about 13, I told my (really conservative) parents I was a Satan worshipper or something. They bought me the Satanic Bible and some Tarot cards and expressed friendly interest. I was completely over it in about a week. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,463,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Agreed with PeachSalsa, can't say it better. You need to sit down and talk to your son.
I think the poster needs to sit down and listen to his son.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:35 PM

6,625 posts, read 6,602,590 times
I think everyone gave you good advice, no drugs, let him figure out his sexual orientation, etc.

What I DO have to say is that raising teens is no picnic. Some are easier than others. The difficult ones will make you want to pull your hair out and will turn whatever remaining hair you have gray! I raised two boys who are now handsome, fairly well adjusted men, but the teenage years were hellish at times. They test you to your limit and then some...

Hang in there! They (boys) do become more "human" once they hit their mid-twenties if you haven't buried them in the back forty before that lol.

When I hear young mothers complaining about the behavior of their pre-teen kids, I say: "oh, just you wait"!!

Old 04-19-2016, 03:51 PM

20,713 posts, read 16,542,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
I can only answer about 'pansexual' majority the wannabe ' cool' kids consider themself that. They just think that didnt want to be just a girl or a boy. They wanted to be special than that! . My friend's 13 years old daugther is one of them. She is now shave her head and named herself a boy name. Let him explore he is only13.
I'll second this - from the perspective that at the age of 13 boys are turned on by ANYTHING! Now I think they might be a little more likely to admit it is all. It's all probably just a phase that will pass as he figures out who/what he's really all about. Concentrate on the drug stuff - that's the real problem.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:15 PM

486 posts, read 835,578 times
Does your son have hobbies? I know in JR high I did some strange things since I was bored.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:33 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,492,638 times
The absolute LAST thing that you should do as a mother is to isolate him and to make him feel like he is a freak for thinking he is bi or wearing eye liner. When you send him to a councilor you are implying that something is wrong with him because of his sexuality, and that can hurt a kids feelings....and it might even make him rebel even more. You should talk with him about his sexuality when the time is right, and truly try to understand what he is/what he is going through before you start labeling him. Show him your support rather than your disappointment.
The drug stuff is not okay whatsoever, but please don't send him to counseling due to his sexuality, that will only make matters worse.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:07 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,726,100 times
It seems like OP needs therapy more than the son. Freaking out about eyeliner, naked pictures, and sexuality? Wut? Punish him for the tobacco and try to move on with your life. If you can't, speak to a therapist about your issues.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:09 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,463,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
It seems like OP needs therapy more than the son. Freaking out about eyeliner, naked pictures, and sexuality? Wut? Punish him for the tobacco and try to move on with your life. If you can't, speak to a therapist about your issues.
The drug use could be the result of grappling with sexuality. The issues may need to be addressed simultaneously. One of my brothers is gay. He experimented with drugs in high school before he came out to family and friends. It was his escape from the stress he was feeling. I'm not saying this is definitely the case with the OP, just that it's possible, and I don't think her concern about everything she's seeing is unwarranted.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,956,107 times
There are several homophobes on this thread. Shocking...

Old 04-19-2016, 10:25 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,080,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
There are several homophobes on this thread. Shocking...
Where? I think it's remarkably free of the usual unenlightened viewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting