Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 04:52 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,307,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal5 View Post
I really doubt any kid would let that be installed on their car.
It's a smartphone app. It is downloaded onto your phone, not installed on a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 06:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,623,785 times
Quote:
"their car"

LOL. Cute.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,855,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
You should try this app.

https://glympse.com/what-is-glympse

Glympse is easier and faster than a phone call or text message, simply select a contact, set a duration, and hit send.

I have it on my phone. It will show you where she is in real time, even how fast she is going. It's a really cool app. I think it would give you peace of mind about her safety.
Thanks. I'm going to check that out.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:58 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thanks. I'm going to check that out.
You are welcome!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,412,158 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
"their car"

LOL. Cute.

I agree.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:35 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,834,793 times
Quote:
You should try this app.

Glympse is easier and faster than a phone call or text message, simply select a contact, set a duration, and hit send.

I have it on my phone. It will show you where she is in real time, even how fast she is going. It's a really cool app. I think it would give you peace of mind about her safety.
My niece just got her license not too long ago and her parents use this app. It's awesome.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:29 AM

6,896 posts, read 7,995,026 times
Quote:
You should try this app.

It goes on their phone, not their car. I put it on mine also, so my 15 year old can find me also. Thanks for the tip, PhotoBuff! The plus is, if the phone is lost, it will help you find it. I don't think she'll mind me knowing where she is, especially since I'm not that militant about where she goes, or curfews (my older daughter was pretty good about coming home when she said she would, and I never 'punished' her for being late. It happens)

USAA will provide a safe driving gizmo that you install on the car and it tracks where, when and how your teen drives. My older didn't mind it, it works for everyone who drives the car. Some of what it recorded was me making some pretty hard stops. It is pretty cool. It's just a condition of being able to drive. The teen gets an Amazon gift card for trying it.

To get back to the OPs original post...I don't wait up for my kids. It takes a lot of will, but my mother had some screaming panic attacks when I was a teen (That what back when you couldn't just text a kid and say "Where r u?"). Her anxiety would get out of control when I was out of her sphere of influence, and I was just determined I would not let my fears get the better of me. Nor let my anxiety terrorize my kids.

Our rule is, wake me up when you get home, no matter what time. My oldest has a perfect record of following the rule, and of getting home when she says she'll be home. My younger, not so good. (she still doesn't go out much at night and is still earning privileges, so the rule may change) I figure, if they are in an accident or something else bad happens, me being awake will not prevent it. Someone will wake me up and I will be better able to deal with the crisis if I've had a few hours of sleep.

We also have a rule that if you are in trouble, call any time, and I will immediately come and get you. Regardless of the circumstances. Rescue, never punishment, even if bad choices have been made. I've done that 3 times for real trouble, and 2 times for slumber parties

Old 04-24-2016, 03:58 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,834,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

We also have a rule that if you are in trouble, call any time, and I will immediately come and get you. Regardless of the circumstances. Rescue, never punishment, even if bad choices have been made. I've done that 3 times for real trouble, and 2 times for slumber parties
Yes, I had that too. Plus, the kids could always use me as an excuse if they wanted to not do something their friends were all doing. "My mom won't let me." "I have to go home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting