Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:50 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,937,931 times

Advertisements

Oh ya.... we spend around $15-$20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,900,617 times
My kids are 5 and 8 and have been to too many parties to count. When your kid is in daycare, everyone must receive an invitation if they want any invitations put out. It's a rule. It's also a rule in elementary school where we are, so if a kid has a party, everyone gets invited, unless they do same sex only parties and then the invites have to be delivered outside of school.

We go to too many parties to spend the $20 many people have posted. Most gifts are under $10, and that's about what we receive as well. Very rarely are the gifts $15. I try to give about what my kids receive.

I do not agree that an 8 year old should have a Monster High doll. Not appropriate.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:35 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,953,897 times
Do 8 year olds still play with dolls? Not sure.

$20-$25 usually here. We let them go as early as 4-5 and parties are actually starting to die down at 8. They are also becoming more repetitive (even in a populated area), so we decline a lot too. Mostly it's through the class. They are crazy expensive to host too. Makes very little sense to do it every year but people still have been.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,949,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Do 8 year olds still play with dolls? Not sure.

$20-$25 usually here. We let them go as early as 4-5 and parties are actually starting to die down at 8. They are also becoming more repetitive (even in a populated area), so we decline a lot too. Mostly it's through the class. They are crazy expensive to host too. Makes very little sense to do it every year but people still have been.
I also noticed parities starting dying off when the kids turned 8. When I was a kid, that didn't happen until 11 or 12, and then we started doing sleep overs a lot more. But I guess we never had to invite the whole class back then (I prefer the invite the whole class method, though). And most parties were at the kid's house. They were always drop off, even when I was 3 or 4.

Boy parties have changed!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:00 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,772,439 times
Add another to the pile - my kids have been going to birthday parties since they were babies/toddlers. At 7 and 4, most parents still stay for all of the birthday parties we have gone to. A few parents leave at my 7 year olds parties, but they usually tell one of the other parents first and make sure they have each others phone numbers. We try to make it to most of them that we are invited to, it's a great way to get to know other parents.

Around here, presents run $20-$25.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:25 AM

325 posts, read 230,394 times
I haven't let them go before b/c, #1 when I go places with my kids they seem to cling to me or I was afraid they would be jealous when other kid opened their presents an through a fit(especially my son.) Also I am nervous to leave my kids places the way it is these days. My son sometimes gets too shy and will cling to me instead of having fun. Now my daughter is more mature an well behaved and I plan on allowing her to do more things like this. I had never gotten to go to friends birthday parties as a kid. My mom never took me an we were too poor to buy gifts for other people. So I haven't had experience with this. But I could see how happy my little girl was. She was also very happy that she got to pick out her friends gift. All she was worried about is if the girl already had that specific doll. Those dolls are not sexualized. (They are supposed to be like regular girls/monster that are very fashionable. They are like a barbie with a animal mix. lol Anyway I am still worried about my son b/c I could see him crying or something at a party when the kid opens their gift. But maybe not. I will try it with him next invite. As far as my kids go their bdays are both in summer july19 an august 1. When school is already out. I wouldn't know how to get a hold of their friends to invite them. So we have family parties, but I would love to be able to have their friends come.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:26 AM

I did let my daughter give our phone # to a few of her closest girl friends so she can start doing more with her friends.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:53 AM

5,850 posts, read 6,245,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I also noticed parities starting dying off when the kids turned 8. When I was a kid, that didn't happen until 11 or 12, and then we started doing sleep overs a lot more. But I guess we never had to invite the whole class back then (I prefer the invite the whole class method, though). And most parties were at the kid's house. They were always drop off, even when I was 3 or 4.

Boy parties have changed!

When my now 8 year old was in Kindergarten, she went to a friend's birthday that was held at the girl's house where they dressed up and watched the movie Frozen and the Mom served them pizza from Papa Murphy's. It was a drop off party, and it allowed my husband and I to take our toddler out to dinner alone without her sister (something that almost never happens in the evening). It was so simple and fun and everyone involved had a great time. It's still my barometer of a great birthday party

Old 04-11-2016, 11:07 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,993,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
I haven't let them go before b/c, #1 when I go places with my kids they seem to cling to me or I was afraid they would be jealous when other kid opened their presents an through a fit(especially my son.) Also I am nervous to leave my kids places the way it is these days. My son sometimes gets too shy and will cling to me instead of having fun. Now my daughter is more mature an well behaved and I plan on allowing her to do more things like this. I had never gotten to go to friends birthday parties as a kid. My mom never took me an we were too poor to buy gifts for other people. So I haven't had experience with this. But I could see how happy my little girl was. She was also very happy that she got to pick out her friends gift. All she was worried about is if the girl already had that specific doll. Those dolls are not sexualized. (They are supposed to be like regular girls/monster that are very fashionable. They are like a barbie with a animal mix. lol Anyway I am still worried about my son b/c I could see him crying or something at a party when the kid opens their gift. But maybe not. I will try it with him next invite. As far as my kids go their bdays are both in summer july19 an august 1. When school is already out. I wouldn't know how to get a hold of their friends to invite them. So we have family parties, but I would love to be able to have their friends come.
How will you ever know how your son will react if you don't let him go? Think of it this way, if he did throw a fit early on he could be over it by now as the more b-days the more practice. If you had let them attend birthday parties before this you would have no problem inviting their friends for their summer b-days.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM

They don't play with baby dolls at 8. These are like a type of barbie. There's nothing provocative or sexual about them. So I don't see the problem. The girls collect them, an watch the monster high cartoon.It's like a cartoon where they are in school and basically it talks about things like popularity, fashion, etc. So my daughter knew she would like it. This party was drop off. If a parent wanted to stay they could but didn't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting